To Christmas or Not to Christmas (inspired by Watersprout's DA thread)

by Mad Sweeney 60 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

MLE -- I'm the guy trying to convince the orthodox Jew how much more awesome his pizza would be if he added bacon. My task is not easy. I would never force bacon onto his cheese pizza.

LOL. Thats hilarious dude. There's a neigborhood I frequent with a heavy Jewish population, and many foreign people from all over due the universities in our city. Many of the foreigners are from the Middle East. This neighborhood has several pizza shops. Its hilarious because when I walk by, or am in the shops, a lot of these folks are eating pizza with pepperoni. I'm thinking to myself, thats still pork, you're not supposed to be eating that!!!!! I'm convinced that if Jews and Muslims ate bacon, BBQ Ribs, pork roasts, pepperoni and other pork products, they could achieve peace between Jews and everybody else in the Middle East.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    MLE -- I'm the guy trying to convince the orthodox Jew how much more awesome his pizza would be if he added bacon. My task is not easy. I would never force bacon onto his cheese pizza.

leavingwt, that reminds me of when I worked with a Muslim girl. She was complaining about how hot it was at work that day, and I told her she'd be alot cooler if she took her hijab off. She laughed, but didn't take it off. Speaking of bacon though, she told me that she once worked with a JW woman who put pork in a potluck dish w/out telling anyone, then had a good laugh at her after when the JW told her about the pork. I thought that was terrible.

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

I remember celebrating Christmas when I was 3, before we became witnesses. It was about family, feasting, and getting presents. I always loved Christmas trees and the decorations. They're so cozy and beautiful. What is your wife and child's idea of Christmas? Maybe it's just presents and a nice family dinner? Or maybe you could get a small tree for them to decorate together. And make gingerbread houses!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Christmas lights??!!! smiley tangled in xmas lights

Here's mine!!

Here's somebody else's - courtesy of Photobucket...

xnas

xmas lights

xnaexmas tantl

Zid

• White Dove
    White Dove

I have always loved the holidays, even though I never had them before. I knew exactly what I was missing because it was in my face 24/7. I wanted it!

Now, I can have it and do it mine and Egg's way.

For Halloween, I'm going to wear my ritual garb and add a hat to it. It is our new year, after all.

Don't know what we'll do for Christmas, yet.

It's just us two in a new place without friends, so it'll be very intimate and personal.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Mad Sweeney, please celebrate Christmas for your child's sake. It's such a magical time of year, especially for kids. I always post on these kinds of threads, because people like Vampire and MLE lack the experience to understand what Christmas is all about. Christms is simply the time of year that people really stop to think about others who have less than they do. It doesn't have to be less money. It could be about less family or friends. We have often contributed toward making a Christmas more enjoyable for someone else who is less fortunate than us by buying gifts, preparing a meal or just spending time with someone. There's no better feeling in the world. When you make a child's dream come true, they usually grow up wanting to do the same for others.

Serenity, you poor dear, Christmas IS about candy...and cookies, and pumpkin roll, and pineapple crush cake. If you can ever make it to NE Ohio at Christmas give me a shout. Every year I bake like a mad woman and have tried my hand at homemade chocolate wreaths, which are yummyyy, if I do say so myself!

• garyneal
    garyneal

JamieBowers, that was beautiful and so accurate. One of the things I love about the holiday season is that people are indeed nicer this time of year and think more of others. My wife always like to counter with, "Why don't they do that year round then? Why only on Christmas?" Yet, I don't see Jehovah's Witnesses doing that year round either.

I will definitely keep these things in mind as I try to teach my daughter that the holidays are not the bad things Jehovah's Witnesses make them out to be.

• four candles
    four candles

Not! I refuse to be dragged in just because 'everybody else is doing it'. I don't need anybody telling me what to do after years of it. Christmas can take a running jump as far as I'm concerned,the music is rubbish,people are so false at that time of year,a tree??? why the hell would I want a tree in my living room??????????? bog off there's plenty outside.

And presents,well I can give them all year round and see genuine surprise on the recipiants face rather than a false ..oooooo I like that kinda thing.

Humbug I say!!!!!!!

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

Damnit Fourcandles, I was about to invite you for Christmas lunch! Lol.

LI x

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If your children like Christmas, that is a good enough reason to do it. And no, you don't have to start out with a whopper. A simple Christmas tree, perhaps a 5 1/2 foot artificial one, will do nicely at first--I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on the first one if you aren't really sure you want to do it. At first, putting up a string or 2 of mini lights, a couple dozen ornaments, a simple star or bow topper, and a couple of runs of garland will be just fine. This will not be that much hassle to take down when the time comes, and might just inspire others in the family to want to add to it. If you want less work at the end, keep it simple.

Now, at a later time you might just decide that it isn't that difficult after all. Those who are pro-Christmas might actually enjoy helping put up and take down the decorations in time. And you might well find it worth it yourself. That's why I don't advise spending a whole lot of money on a first tree if you are in doubt--you will probably want to upgrade it if you decide it's worthwhile or the others start helping out. Then I recommend getting a better quality tree, even spending upward of $300 (for an unlit 6 1/2 foot tree) because they look more realistic and hold up better.

The biggest issue is how to store those lights so they don't get tangled up. A spool or reel is the best choice, though a simple piece of cardboard to wind it up will do nicely. Christmas Lights Etc. makes some nice reels, starting at under $4 each, that prevent tangling. I recommend one per string of lights, and they will stay put away neatly without getting tangled. You can also look for other ornament storage, whether there or at another place, to protect ornaments from breakage and losing them. Then, if you do want to upgrade, you know what you already have and can start from there. At least, you don't have to worry so much about those tangled lights wasting half the morning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit