Does anyone here still believe in the Devil?

by cantleave 98 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bigmac
    bigmac

this is my picture on FB "stan livedeath" look me up if you want; friend requests invited.

• designs
    designs

In Judaism the competing concepts of Yetzer Tob (the good inclination) and Yetzer ha-Rab ( the evil inclination) show the dualistic nature of the question on existence.

Rabbi Ausubel notes- 'If primitive man was freightened by death, he stood in even greater terror of life. For him the universe was haunted by myriads of hostile intangible forces, demons and evil spirits, devils and hobgoblins. His terror was increased because these forces remained invisible but were omnipresent. Much of his conscious existence was devoted to the placation of these all powerful, supernatural enemies. Possibly because of his inability to cope with the forces in nature or to understand them to any extent, he invented angels and demons to give design to the perplexing drama of life.'

Judaism for the most part got over its superstitions but Fundamentalist Christianity seems to have gotten stuck with the primitive notions and simple mindedness of early Bronze Age cultures. As Witnesses do you remember all of the lessons on this literal evil angel. Muslims, Hindus, and some Buddhists join that mindset.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

I don't believe in the WT's version of the devil nor its vengeful angry Jehovah God for that matter. Lilly

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

This fellow is just a superstitious construct - the diametric opposite of the God-construct. Some instrument had to be invented when God was invented to explain all the 'non-Godlike' shit around us.

According to the Bible - he is actually a hell of a lot nicer fellow than the Judeo/Christian God! God killed millions - Satan assisted with only 10 murders - and that with God's full permission.

I see why people would chose Satan to worship over the Evil One.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I don't believe in the WT's version of the devil nor its vengeful angry Jehovah God for that matter. Lilly

Really! I thought you were a 'Bible believer' - it is the Bible that paints God as a killer, condoner of rape and mayhem, maker of violence against innocent children and 'virgins', isn't it? It even lists, boasts really, about all those God killed - little Christian kids read about it Sunday School - the flood, the destruction of Sodom, the killing of millions as 'God's people' were given permission to do in order to grab the land from the 'pagans'.

The Watchtower Society couldn't possibly make 'Jehovah God' out to be more evil than the Bible itself - in fact, they, and all Christians, 'water him down' so that the Bible-God and the Church-God have absolutely no comparison. Wow!

Jeff

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Sometimes things are as real as we make them and that is good enough, other times things are far more real then we care to admit or even know.

Satan's job, if he exists, is one of being the adversary, the opposer, but to whom?

Some say God but God is almighty and NONE can oppose God.

Some say Jesus, but Jesus is far beyond anything that Satan can ever hope to "get a crack at".

Satan is OUR opposer, his role is to prove to God and to US, how insignificant and unworthy we are of God's gifts of Grace and the future ressurection.

He has no power other than the power given to him by Us, he controls nothing other than what we control "for him" and his greatest power is lies-

Lies that manipulate us into believing that we are nothing more than "talking monkey", the the spirit does not exist or abide in us, that Jesus never was and that he never died for us, in short, his power is make us believe that there is No God and that we are nothing and deserve nothing.

Of course, if he doesn't exist then there is NO adversary for us, other than ourselves.

• designs
    designs

Jeff- The local Fundamentalist Pastor Synder in our town preached a sermon so explicite on Hell Fire that children bolted from their parents arms and ran screaming out of the Church.

The deacons had to council him to 'tone it down', but why should he, he was telling his congregation the real truth about the Trinity/God of HellFire.

It is a form of mental child abuse all neatly wrapped in Evangelical Christianity.

Logic, reason, an Age of Enlightenment all seem to pass right over their heads.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe there is a Devil, Satan, Evil One, Tempter, etc.

As to what pre-Flood people were doing that was so bad as to merit their destruction, have a look here.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/jasher/index.htm

The Book of Jasher is referenced twice in the Holy Scriptures, so I decided to check it out.

I'm glad I did.

Syl

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

When it comes to the Bible - the devil is in the detail.

• designs
    designs

Syl-

If the Semetic people who wrote these works tell us they were folklore and fables what is a 21st century person doing with early Bronze Age beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit