Whats the most bizzare way a JW has ever tried to "encourage" you?

by highdose 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pink sapphire
    Pink sapphire

By threatening to disfellowship me as it was a loving arrangement which made me want to come back. Yeah right!! I promptly put in my da letter!

• Vienna Angelika
    Vienna Angelika

Several things such as

Be thankful you dont live in bible times because you would have been stoned to death.

Its good you have no friends at school, the society tells us not to associate with worldly people anyways!

An elder threatening disfellowshipping if only I was baptized (I didnt do anything disfellowshipping worthy even in the eye of the Watchtower!)

shunning me to encourage me to stop talking about politics and any other controversiall topics to keep the "unity" going.

Stuff like that

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Judicial Committee: "We're disfellowshipping you to show you that God loves you, ... and so do we!"

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Reading scriptures about the hope of the resurrection to encourage the loved one who was just diagnosed with leukemia.

Doc

• on the rocks
    on the rocks

How will your parents feel when they come back in ressurection....and you are not around!

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Two years of meetings have passed since visiting the Kingdom Hall. "The best way to get Jehovah's Holy Spirit is to join us in Field Service next week, let's say 9:30 AM?" Two years of being mia with meeting attendance and field service is going to cure it? How, how in any world of religion would preaching a message about something I was uncomfortable about, help me regain my composure?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I was told that my faith is like different coloured Lego(R) bricks. I needed to get them out of the box and build them. All bright and shiny and different colours.

Suffice to say that bright spark left the cult soon after.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Going from door-to-door with Elder Mature was always fun. He took himself seriously and appeared to be unaware of the comical figure that he cut in his crumpled suit. We had been out knocking on doors for some time on this bright Saturday morning, when we decided to stop off at a coffee shop. Today Elder Mature was in a thoughtful mood as he leaned towards me across the small table.

‘I’ve heard that you were a Pioneer for some years,’ he commented.

‘Yes. I left school early to Pioneer.’

‘What made you come off?’ he enquired, as though I had fallen of a horse - or worse.

‘After I left home it became difficult to do the required hundred hours a month and support myself.’

‘Why, what changed?’ he asked.

‘I found myself missing life’s little luxuries like food and clothes,’ I replied, with more than a hint of sarcasm.

‘Well you should have leaned on Jehovah. He will never let us down you know.’ Elder Mature shook his large head.

‘Yes I have heard that line many times before but reality is a very persistent intruder,’ I replied.

‘Yes, but now that you are on your feet again financially; it is something you should consider. I was thinking how encouraging it would be to the young people in our congregation, who are about to leave school, if they were to see you pioneering again.’

‘I see. You would like someone to set an example by pioneering. I think that is an excellent idea,’ I said nodding.

‘Good. So you will consider it? Perhaps starting off by vacation pioneering with a view to getting back into full-time service. It would make Jehovah’s heart very glad.’

‘Actually I think the young people would be more encouraged to see one of the Elders making sacrifices to set an example and Pioneer; perhaps someone who has no children, but does have a wife to help and assist with keeping the home running. How do you feel about taking up the challenge yourself?’ I suggested.

‘Me? No, no, no, Terry. I have a mortgage and my wife is not cheap to support. I have to work full-time just to pay for her shopping trips,’ he said laughing.

‘Well pioneering is never possible without making sacrifices. Working to buy a house with the end so close may give out the wrong signal to young people who are about to leave school. They may think that is what they are expected to do.’

‘I think you are running ahead a bit here, Terry. We were just talking generally about the possibility of you returning to the Pioneer service.’ Elder Mature seemed occupied trying to press the creases out of his crumpled trousers.

‘If you don’t feel able to make a sacrifice to Pioneer, perhaps your wife could Pioneer?’ I continued. ‘She doesn’t work at all.’

‘Now, now, Terry it’s not for you or me to decide who should Pioneer. Each of us has to decide for ourselves how much we are able to offer Jehovah out of the abundance of our heart.’

‘So true! The abundance of my heart enabled me to Pioneer for many years. It would be appropriate for someone older and mature, pardon the pun, to take a turn at experiencing the great joy that can come from pioneering,’ I gushed.

‘Um, well it was just an idea. I was thinking of the young brothers and sisters who have no commitments and are free to enter the Pioneer service,’ he mumbled.

‘It is good of you to be concerned about their well-being. In truth, I was far too young when I became a Pioneer. A lot of pressure was put on me to leave school early and Pioneer. It would have been better for me to stay on to take exams and get some qualifications; perhaps becoming a Pioneer when I was a older with some money in the bank. My conscience wouldn’t let me influence any teenager to do something that I now personally regret doing.’

‘I’m surprised to hear you say that, Terry. Pioneering is a wonderful privilege that Jehovah offers to young people. I wish I had been in ‘the truth’ when I was young so I could Pioneer.’

‘Pioneering is a lot more challenging than you may think. Along with joy there is hardship and pain,’ I added.

‘Now, now Terry, serving Jehovah is a joy and a privilege. How can serving Jehovah ever be painful?’

‘There is only one way to find out. Experience it for yourself. If you and your wife were to Pioneer it would be a blessing for you both and an encouragement to others in the congregation. I have been encouraged just listening to you and realizing that you have given so much thought to entering the Pioneer service,’ I said, smiling warmly.

Elder Mature was silent for a while and then he found his voice. ‘I am glad I have been able to encourage you. I have got to go now. I promised to take my wife down town for lunch and to do some shopping. You know what these women are like.’

I watched him shuffle off and felt a twinge of guilt. Knowing how seriously he viewed his position as Elder, maybe I should have resisted playing games. Perhaps I had been too hard on him? In the time it took to order another coffee, the guilt miraculously vanished.

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

When the elders finally deigned to talk to the now ex-hub and I about the marital issues, they never once cracked open a bible. Their sage encouragement was to stop seeing the marriage counselor and to take a long weekend out of town without the children. I left the room.

Gladiator- love that story and so indicative of how willing the elders are to have others make the sacrifices. Good job making him squirm.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Gladiator,

That may well be the best story I've heard in a long time. I love how you turned it around on him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit