Whats the most bizzare way a JW has ever tried to "encourage" you?

by highdose 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    If your jw husband kills you, at least you're guaranteed into the new system.

Gee how comforting that must have been for you JB.

Sorry EE, didn't mean to kill your buzz. It's really not that bad a story compared to some I've heard.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I would not call it bizzare, but an elders wife encouraged me to go to every Sunday meeting every week for one year, then I would probably attend the weekday meetings eventually. She tried.

• scarredforlife
    scarredforlife

I don't recall anyone connected withthe JWs encouraging me in any way whatsoever. It was all negativity and guilt. A horrible way to be raised.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV
    I don't recall anyone connected withthe JWs encouraging me in any way whatsoever. It was all negativity and guilt. A horrible way to be raised.

I can relate. Don't you just love how completely in denial they are about it?

V665

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Those wonderful text messages after skipping a meeting were always such a joy..

• Podobear
    Podobear

Being told by a Bethel Elder that my problem was that "I was all Heavenly and no Earthly good", followed up by an MS in front of the congregation saying "Stop spongeing off the rest of us and go get a proper job" So, I quit full time service.

Final nail, met the D.O who promptly gave a talk to the congregation on the importance of having sufficient education to secure a job. That, from a trained Architect that would fall on his feet if he ever had to leave the District.

Reminds me of the quote: "There are only two things I dislike about you darling".... "Oh..Really?".. "Yes, honey, YOUR FACE"

I now have a BSc in a discipline allied to Medicine... after a great struggle.

Podo

• Quillsky
    Quillsky
    They wanted me to just meet other men. Of course, their lies are "It's not [necessarily] permanent. The word "not" should have been removed--they updated it another year later, at which point I started skipping the a$$emblies altogether.

WTWizard, I trust that now you're free you are meeting many women, having lots of dates or in a stable relationship?

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

The word "encourage" is misused in the WT lexicon. Encouragement implies motivating someone to do something of their own free will, but in WT Land its meaning is not the same.

That's why the expression "I want to encourage you...." is so common.

Elder: "I want to encourage you to pioneer/reach out/attend more meetings/clean the hall/whatever."

Publisher: "Okay, if you want to encourage me, then encourage me."

Elder: "I want to encourage you to...." (Rinse and repeat.)

Publisher: "Okay, encourage me."

Elder: "I'm encouraging you."

Publisher: "No, you're not encouraging me yet. You said you want to encourage me. Please go ahead and encourage me."

Elder: "This is encouragement."

Publisher:

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

If you're feeling tired then you need to do more personal study and you'll feel fully refreshed. It's like going on service with a glass of water and letting each householder take a sip. If you don't go home and fill up the glass you'll run out of water.

MMXIV

• Fed-up
    Fed-up

This text message from an Elder:

"the best way to help you is to leave you alone."

couldn't agree more! Thanks Brother Elder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit