No Spiritual Heritage

by serenitynow! 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I mean it seems like "worldy" people may have hymns or prayers etc, that they learned as kids, and even if they aren't active in that church now, they still have fond memories. When I would feel anxious or scared (as a JW) I would pray. Now that I've been forced to reexamine my belief system and no longer believe there is a god, I don't have that faith to lean on.

I have met recovering religionists from faiths that are not considered dangerous mind-control cults. There are former Catholics and Baptists and Jews and the like. Don't imagine everyone with a religious upbringing has mostly "fond" memories.

Replace such a vaccuum for fond memories with some new fond memories. Enjoy some Christmas music. I remember you were going to do some Halloween thing this year. Make sure to at least give a kid some candy. Have a Thanksgiving feast with some people who love you. You don't have to believe in God to participate in their pagan holidays or to recognize some things you are thankful for.

I no longer believe in God (by the way, you will be getting much response on that little comment) but I feel more "spiritual" than ever before. I am more connected to humanity and concerns for my fellow human. I still know what you mean, but you will get over it or find a coping mechanism.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can remember what it was like to be raised Catholic. There was the annual "game out" where, in lieu of a church service, we would go outside and simply have fun playing games and cooking out. There were the holidays--that always included 2 different trips (one about 60 miles away, and the other around 100 miles) to visit relatives. We always had a special Christmas shopping day, and I couldn't wait for the Christmas tree to go up. Besides, not everything was related to the religion--I do not recall ever going to church on a holiday, and there were plenty of camping trips and birthdays.

However, as a witless, your options are limited. Every year is the same as every other year. You get the new circus year where everyone is hounded to pio-sneer. There is usually an a$$embly in the fall. You go through the winter slowdowns, where heavy rain and/or snow often prevent field circus or boasting sessions. Then, there is the REJECT Jesus Party and another a$$embly, with another pio-sneer drive. You have the Grand Boasting Session in summer, and every school vacation is marred with field circus through. You never actually get to do something that is worthwhile.

For these people, there are options. Especially if you have children, you need to get some tradition going. Ideally, this should include one big article, preferably a rite of passage as they get closer to adulthood, and numerous smaller articles. Christians, and many atheists and agnostics, can pick and choose their holidays. Resources and ideas as to what to do for Christmas and Easter are everywhere online, and you can make up more as you go. There are also birthdays--just don't cut someone's head off and serve it to the person whose birthday it is. You can also hook up with a regular church or a secular group, including school. Even Muslims have their pick of 5-7 holidays, and can set traditions around Eid Al Fitr, Ramadan, and the other major Muslim holidays (just don't go flying planes into buildings or blowing things up to force people into Islam).

If you wish to remain strictly secular, you can still make traditions. There are lots of ways to observe traditions without religion--Christmas is about gift giving, peace, taking time out to observe family, and making your place look pretty as much as about Jesus. There is the annual ritual of vacation when the Grand Boasting Session used to occupy. You can also start planting gardens (unless president Osama Obama signs S510 into law; that would outlaw private gardens by calling them "unauthorized farms" and requiring tracking procedures in the name of "food safety"). And there are other party ideas you could adopt--family friendly ones as well as those drunken parties that you hear so much about in the Washtowel rags. Even a simple trip to an amusement park or fair could become a tradition.

As for the one big one, there are countless options. Even without religion, you can pick and choose. College is typically the biggest of these rites of passage, and is a value even for this reason alone if you don't get a job in your field. Other possibilities are getting that first car, having a moving out party, or going online and finding out what you would like to do for this. There are countless options online, and you don't need religion to pick out one or more.

As for the witlesses, I do agree that their "traditions" and "rites of passage" are wimpy and pathetic.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Good question. It is sad, because JWs have so little spiritual heritage to begin with. Most Christians I know have wonderful memories of Christmas, Easter and so forth. Non-Religious people often have sport and Birthdays etc that they enjoy as a family. For an ex-JWs there were a limited number of things that were allowed, and then these are often remembered with bitterness once you leave.

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

I agree there is little real "spiritual heritage" being raised as a witness-

my witness family does have a big turkey dinner around thanksgiving time but they don't call it "thanksgiving"- they just say that they are taking advantage of time off of work to get together & their employers give them a turkey, so they may as well use it-

I always thought it was a piss-poor excuse, and we were indeed celebrating thanksgiving regardless of how you tried to justify it otherwise-

I was NOT invited to the gathering last year, and I know I will not be invited this year-

I do miss the family gatherings sometimes, it was always fun to laugh together and play games & eat till you burst......I did go to a few family gatherings with Coffee Shop Guy but it is not quite the same

CSG & I have set many of our own traditions as a couple that have been very nice, he has been so sweet & acomodating

He says that he is ok if we don't do big Christmas celebrations- I am not ready for all that yet

baby steps

CHG

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It might have been James Penton's APOCALYPSE DELAYED that discussed how most families have some athlete or scholar in the family after awhile. They have at least one success story from a brother or cousin or someone. Even short of the success story, they often have kids in a family that graduate from college. Generational JW's pretty much don't have a doctor, lawyer, politician, athlete, rocket scientist, or even an office manager with a bachelor's degree or the like in the family. If they do, the JW's say how "worldly" that person is and poison family pride in them. That creates a huge problem for a family where people need a little boost of pride. They don't go for black or Irish pride either and they certainly don't allow gay pride. Often, all they have is JW pride in elders, pioneers, Bethelites, and other JW goals.

Sorry to taint your cult background further, but you have to put that behind you and have some personal pride. YOU GOT OUT. You are smarter than Ray Franz was at your age, smarter than Fred Franz (the oracle) ever was. You are smarter than many WTS lawyers and you are certainly smarter than all the current elders you ever met. YOU GOT OUT, you figured it out.

I hope that helped.

• Terry
    Terry

Once you have been deeply commited to a cult life and leave it forever what you lack most is contact with your own past affiliation with emotion.

There are no friends. No emotional link to your past. The disconnect is like amnesia.

It is similar to losing people in an accident. Only it is everybody who meant anything to you.

The heritage of growing up in a family with a common bond and purpose has emotional resonance which becomes jerked away from your life forever.

This creates a negative connotation to all things religious.

You are snakebit.

Who would want to be hurt like that again?

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    Sorry to taint your cult background further, but you have to put that behind you and have some personal pride. YOU GOT OUT. You are smarter than Ray Franz was at your age, smarter than Fred Franz (the oracle) ever was. You are smarter than many WTS lawyers and you are certainly smarter than all the current elders you ever met. YOU GOT OUT, you figured it out.

That almost made me cry! Thanks.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

May I suggest that you start a new "spiritual heritage", one worthy of the title.

Make a heritage of being present with life and being, now in this moment.

Be still and savor the beauty of what it is to be alive. Perhaps you could name it something like....ummmm...Serenity Now.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    Be still and savor the beauty of what it is to be alive.

JT that seems so simple, but I tell you I never really did it until I got out! Sometimes I'll look at the sky and feel very happy to be free!

Perhaps you could name it something like....ummmm...Serenity Now

lol. That's part of why I gave myself that name! The other part is because I love when Frank was yelling it.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

OK, put perhaps you can take it deeper. Feel what it is to breath. Feel the red of the rose. Don't think about it, just feeeeeeeeeel. just feeeeeeel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit