When will the crashing and burning of this organization begin?

by easyreader1970 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Easyreader: Your points are valid to some extent, but I don't see the WTS going away any time soon. As sir82 pointed out, there's a large chunk of the population that wants to be told what to do. Groups like the WTS fill that role.

Your first point (youth retention) has been a problem for a long time. For at least 20 years, I've heard elders and CO's state that only 20-30% of young ones stay in (I recall the Pew study from 2008 puts it at 37%). Nonetheless, the increase over the last 20 years has been HUGE. The fact of the matter is that the WTS doesn't need its young people--at least in the short and mid-term.

There are plenty of suckers...I mean sheep-like-people...out there who are desperate and ignorant enough to join. And that will be the case for the foreseeable future--especially when China opens up, likely some time in the next decade. I predict that we'll see 10 million JWs within the next few years.

Your second point (fewer males able to teach) is a more recent phenomenon--at least in the U.S. I think it is a factor in the WT's recent downsizing (no more book study, etc.). The WTS has several options on how to handle this. I don't think they'll get to the point of having female MS/elders, but they may have women handle more non-teaching roles, such as literature, microphones, sound system, territory, accounts, etc. This way, the elders and MS could simply handle teaching parts and public talks. Also, the WTS could continue to downsize. One easy thing to do is get rid of that farce of a "congregation Bible study" in the mid-week meeting.

I agree with your third point (science is a problem for the WTS). But the WTS seems to be attacking it head-on. There were two brochures released at the conventions this year on evolution/creation. Also a few years back (I think it was 2005 or 2006), there was a "special" issue of the Awake aimed directly at creation/evolution. The WTS is borrowing heavily from the "intelligent design" movement.

Also, the WTS has backed away from some of its embarrassing positions--particularly that the "creative days" were 7000 years each. Today, you can be a JW and believe in the "big bang" and that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago (which wasn't the case when I was growing up as a JW). I don't see the WTS taking this much further, though.

But remember that something like 50% of Americans don't accept evolution at all. So, the WTS/JW faith is not really out of the mainstream on this issue--at least in the USA. It's probably a different story in Europe, though.

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

As much as I'd like to agree with MJNM regarding the house of cards bit, I am not optimistic of any descent into oblivion in the near-term. The WT continues to use every earthquake and hot summer day to "prove" we're in the time of the end. That mentality is deeply entrenched. I see it in my own family.

I do, however, subscribe to the theory of gradual fizzling. Will it be in my life? I doubt it. But it will happen.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I heard the Service Overseer at the wife's congo say that the annual report was really good for that cong.. although more of them did a few less hours !

I desire the downfall of the Borg as much as anyone, but I think that forecasts are wishful thinking...

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Ok, I see I am in the minority!! But this is the INFORMATION AGE, so all you need is for 2 people to tell 2 people, and then each of those 2 people tell 2 more people AND SO ON, AND SO ON AND SO ON! Anybody remember those '70's commercials for shampoo?

The WT is having an increasingly difficult time keeping their 'diehards' sequestered from the rest of the world and from the scads of information that for reasons best known to themselves, they would like to keep hidden. Where in the past disfellowshipped individuals would just 'disappear' off the radar, they are increasingly not going away quietly and indeed joining forces through internet forums. All we need is someone to NAIL 95 or so THESES on the Brooklyn door and it could all implode VERY QUICKLY!!

• undercover
    undercover

And then we can quickly disarm all the radical islamic terrorists when we debunk their beliefs...

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

I'll leave that to others who are already taking up the cause!

http://www.irshadmanji.com/im-a-sneak-peek-at-my-next-book

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

The trouble with 95 theses argument is that it will be spun as an attack on Jah by Satan and his agents (apostates). It will be used to "show" the R&F how close we are to the end. The effect will be the opposite of what you hope for.

These people are brainwashed to the point only THEY PERSONALLY can ever break free. YOU can never show them anything.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is something brewing in the org and there are going to be some huge changes coming in the next 4 years. There has been too much corroborating stories from several elders that the Branches and HQ are reorganizing and restructering. Same elders that said there is a serious shortage in brothers to take over the lead from the older ones and a lot of disheartened 'friends' worldwide.

People are getting tired of living in 'high alert' for so long they are giving up or becoming nonchalant about their service. Right now, the only regions of the world increasing are regions where the countries are still developing and JWs are a new blip on the map with their carrot (everlasting life).

There won't be a crash and burn, but there is going to be a change for the worse I predict, more rules, more regulations, more things one CAN'T do, it's a lockdown and a "sifting' work. That's what they'll tell people though.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

FreeAtLast1914: I could see your point in the case of only one individual posting the 95. But if the disfellowshipped, disgraced and disavowed (as a group) were to become one voice speaking out against the tactics of the WBTS I could see this having a massive effect.

The world, as a whole, is changing extremely rapidly. There is a global shift in perceptions as to what is acceptable and what is not. I suspect it won't be long before a religion's internal practices will be put under increased scrutiny and may no longer be given the latitude that they are today. The WBTS has a lot to answer for and up to now, I don't think they've ever thought they would have to answer to anyone for it. That may be about to change. Why the rush to close so many branches? Limiting liability?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I agree with Soldier77.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit