Why do people profess to be very religious but they do not really live by the bible?

by asilentone 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• little witch
    little witch

Many people have self-perception problems. This is a human thing, not particularly "christian". For example: A person may consider themselves generous "I would give you the shirt off my back" type....In reality they are really only disposed to help others if they gain something in return.

They may consider themselves very friendly, but will only keep to "their own kind" in social situations.

They may say, "My best friends are black", but they if they had to name names would say...."My cousin's neighbor is black".

They may say, " I hate fags", when in reality they are Bi or gay.

My point is, hypcricy is not linked to Christianity. It is of the human race....For whatever reason it seems to be more closely scrutinized as religious. I think it crosses all classes, ethnicities, nations, and religions. We as a species seem to harbor hypocricies. Is hypocrices a word? LOL. Anyways, thats my two.

LW

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

OMG Qcmbr!!!

In your post above #1664 you summed up in one short paragraph what most people will probably spend a lifetime and not realize.

It was both informative and funny at the same time. That deserves two thumbs up

• mouthy
    mouthy

I tried to LOVE my neighbor and she called the cops on me.

No Stonewall You tried to "LUST" her ,
    Because you know love is longsuffering,& kind IT DOESNT BEHAVE INDECENTLY!!!!

So next time..Talk first, dine her, for a few months ,THEN you might be able to act decently

Granny's advice

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's impossible to "live by the Bible." Better for Christians to live as Mouthy said above. If they cannot do that, they can just pretend the Holy Ghost tells them what to live by and live by their own rules. Afterall, most of live by our own rules and we do okay.

• meangirl
    meangirl

Oh wow Qcmbr you just made a laugh out loud Awesome post!

• AGuest
    AGuest

While your points are very good, dear Qcmbr (peace to you!), a good deal of it doesn't apply worldwide. True, the new "savior" of the world, the good old U.S. of A. (and its allies) does try to drop all the bombs it can in the name of trying to make it "so" (well, at least, where "our"* interests are affected but not like, say, Darfur... or any other "ungodly" place like that, that doesn't have anything "we" want...).

Ennyway, though...

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA, who often wonders why "our" ideals are often assumed to be those of "everyone"

*The usual suspects (U.S., England, et al.). And I didn't mean your points weren't valid; I just meant that in some places those things are still very well accepted, even promoted, and have nothing to do at all with the Bible.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Great post, qcmbr.

I would only add that piety is its own reward and living by the bible is tedious and confusing. Why not have your cake and eat it too?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Do we truly lack our own basic intuitional wisdom that we need to be guided by some archaic book?

Why let something as silly and confusing as the Bible take away our own ability to think?

Some who say they are religious without the Bible, may be just intelligent and don't need it.

Others may use religion, as has already been mentioned, as a deceptive shield.

• White Dove
    White Dove

There is a book by some guy that actually tried living EXACTLY as the Bible said to live. Never read it but I think he tried it for a year, or something. The cover of the book shows a photo of him dressed much like a drama character with fringe.

• asilentone
    asilentone

White Dove, I would love to know the name of that book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit