Why do people profess to be very religious but they do not really live by the bible?

by asilentone 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• snowbird
    snowbird

A Year of Living Biblically by A. J. Jacobs.

Christians should Follow the Lamb, not necessarily the Bible.

Syl

• man in black
    man in black

Funny, I was just thinking about this question earlier in the week.

One of my sons who is 22 (raised as a jw) does not go to any church, yet is quite moral and level headed.

He met at school a girl and is currently going out with her.

Her parents are fanatical evangilists, and are just flipping out because one of their daughters is not going out with a "true believer"

My son is very familiar with this mindset, seeing it as a jw, but no matter what he does her parents want nothing to do with him.

Many times each week we feed her, in fact my wife got this girl a job at school as a sign language interpreter.

Yet her parents have pretty well disowned her because she is not following their version of the "truth" .

Luckly, she sees their hypocracy, and is continuing on her own life course.

Why is it that these people think that we are the spawn of satan himself,,, even though we are caring for their daughter.

I don't mean to hijack this thread at all,,, just my .02 and experience regarding this type of religious person.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Christians should follow the Lamb, not necessarily the Bible.

I'm with you sister.

• loosie
    loosie
    very republician and religiousLOL and wondering WTH does THAT mean, because we all know a democrat would NEVER do something deviant. (Just pickin' on 'ya, Loosie, 'cause I thought that choice of word was so funny :-)

I mean very republican to the point that no other party should exist. and everyone elses opinion if it doesn't agree with his is wrong. I know some messed up democrats as well. But this guy was the more boisterious about his opinion I have ever seen.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

the Law... which is a tutor leading TO Christ.

Like Shelby said, slavery, murder and rape is the way to Jesus!

• Gregor
    Gregor

Just keep in mind when following the Lamb, those are NOT RAISINS !

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

LOL@Gregor.

• thomas15
    thomas15

I have read a lot of posts here from now formers JWs and how they separated themselves from the org. Not all, but many when they give their story tell of how they started to compare WT doctrines and practices with the Bible and found that what they were believing as JWs is not biblically sound.

This same kind of thing happens to christians who are not JWs. Going through the motions in a public way does not make one a Christian, placing your faith and trust in the risen Son of the most high God does. JWs are not the only group of people who carry the Bible, read the Bible, study the Bible and memorize the Bible but in reality don't trust the message of the Bible.

One of the things that I personally don't understand about individuals in a high control group like the WT, how do they convince themselves that they are happy when the words coming out of their mouths are of the gloom and doom variety? I say this because a co-worker of mine, a 30+ year brother who spends his vacation doing field service. We go to lunch as a small group several times a week and he, when talking about the current sad state of society and the immediate future , sees nothing but gloom and doom. There is no hope as per 1 Peter 3:15 and he does not remind me of a person who is doing the will of God. That person, should be happy because the Bible tells us that this individual should be happy.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Why not live by the bible:

Well, the bibel is there for us to learn from, not live by.

We learn good and bad for it, we learn that God can speak though it and that man can twist God's word through it.

We learn that man can use it for great good and great evil, in short, we learn for it, for what is good and bad, but we do NOT live by it.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

@PSacramento,

This is not an attach at you, just an observation around what you said.

It is likely that no "evil" can be found beyond the wholesale mass murder of millions of men, women and children (and also including domestic and wild animals).

The archaic Bible war god is recorded as doing such to various degrees on numerous occasions. Interestingly the Bible god is unquestionably accepted by billions of people as the most holy, righteous and loving creature in all existence.

We learn, perhaps subconsciously, that to be too good, would make us look better than our god. However, most everyone already looks more holy, more loving, more "Christ-like" than the god they worship -- as it is tremendously difficult to be so evil as to enact crimes on humanity that would be worse than what the Bible god has already done.

Now Jesus, is like sweet and buttery frosting on top of a rotten and putrid cake. He is the honey the lures many people in.

If this were not the way it actually is, it would be exceedingly unbelievable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit