Why do people profess to be very religious but they do not really live by the bible?

by asilentone 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I know that there are many parts that are very hard to reconcile in the bible, many people spend their whole lives doing so.

If you were to read the NT and then read the OT through the teachings of Jesus, you get a very different and even contridictory picture of God, but what does this mean?

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

Why do people profess to be very religious but they do not really live by the bible?

It's in the name. Religious people follow a religion and by extension their religious leaders, not the Bible. In reality the Bible has very little impact on the lives. But they dare not question the man behind the curtain.

• AGuest
    AGuest

the Law... which is a tutor leading TO Christ.

Like Shelby said, slavery, murder and rape is the way to Jesus!

Shelby said no such thing, dear NVL, and I would kindly ask that you keep your deceit in the other thread (thank you, kindly, and peace to you!). What people THINK is the "Law"... and what TRULY is the Law... are not necessarily the same thing. Oh, wait, but it's "in the Bible." Hmmm... the following is in the Bible, too:

"They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. "Teacher," they said, "we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are."

Hmmmm... he taught the way of God "... in accordance with the truth." Didn't they? Apparently not, according to the Bible:

"Ye have heard that it wassaid by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I sayunto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:..."

"Ye have heard that it wassaid by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

"Ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;"

Interesting. He said that they "heard it was said"... then quoted what they'd heard... which is, supposely "the "Law"... after which he says, "But I say to you..." Yet, he never transgressed the Law; indeed, he fulfilled it. How can be if "the Law" said one thing... and he did another? It can BE... because love... is the Law's fulfillment. Not murder, rape, or slavery. Indeed, if love truly IS the Law's fulfillment, then HOW can it have called for, let alone sanctioned, things such as slavery, rape, and murder?

C'mon, dear ones. We are all gifted with some level of intelligence. Here is a good opportunity to use it. There is a REASON that the scribes were included among those my Lord called "hypocrites" and asked who was to save THEM from Gehenna. Because their pen... was... FALSE.

May those who wish it, be given ears to hear and get the sense of this truth.

And, as always, peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

@PSacramento,

"I know that there are many parts that are very hard to reconcile in the bible, many people spend their whole lives doing so.
    If you were to read the NT and then read the OT through the teachings of Jesus, you get a very different and even contridictory picture of God, but what does this mean?"

Good question. If we look we find dualities within ourselves.We love and we hate, etc, etc. So it is not a huge leap to see that the Bible is not from "God", but simply reflects man's own musings and imagination, in that it reflects the same chaotic mind. Does this make sense? In other words, the Bible is but a mirror image of mortal man. Not Divine, Not special. Just human created stories with a human created god.

So, if the Bible holds no truth, then what does? That, this thread was not meant to address....but others may.

j

• Terry
    Terry

Humanity turns to mythos to explain their own place in the cosmos. It creates a "meaningful" context and provides a sort of blueprint and rules in which they can operate.

The Bible is just one scheme for holding a religious ethos in place.

The very idea of a "right" way to BE religious indicates how badly humans need a "box" inside of which they are right and outside of which they are wrong.

My own experience is that upon meeting a believer (of any persuasion) for the 1st time the "other" is anxious to know how to categorize you and where to place you in the GOOD/EVIL dichotomy of their religious beliefs.

The Anxiety of life leading to death creates a strong motor which drives interest in supernatural solutions to the natural world.

But, all in all--humans pretty much all do the same things. They wallow in their comfort zones and use the rectitude of their beliefs to make others wrong so that they can feel superior.

Your mileage may vary, of course....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit