What's the saddest movie you've ever seen?

by JimmyPage 143 Replies latest jw friends

• agonus
    agonus

"Beaches" didn't get to me. Maybe I was too young or maybe it was just too manipulative-weepie-chick-flick-pandering for me.

On the other hand, a manipulative-weepie-pandering-chick-flick I actually have some respect for is "Steel Magnolias", probably because of the caliber of the female leads, especially Olympia Dukakis (you guys remember Moonstruck?)

• villabolo
    villabolo

lesabre: "the road" wasn't NEARLY as sad as the book!!!!!!! (but i love both!!) the road is one of my fave books...

I'm pretty narrow in what type of movies I watch so I don't get much exposure to tear jerkers. Every once in a while I spot one that just happens to be in my favorite genre.

1) The Road. I totally agree with lesabre. Anyone, and I mean anyone who's into the following should watch it. Father/son & family stories; Human spirit stories; Doomsday stories. The book is written in an unusual manner and I recommend reading it before watching the movie. Even if you hate reading the book will be an easy read. the movieTelegraphic in it's short sentences. Lyrical and as smooth to read as it is to drink good smooth liquor.

2) Wrath of Khan. The death of Spock. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one." They should have kept him dead in order to teach the sanctity of sacrifice and death. Hollywood will be Hollywood, however.

3) The original Night of the Living Dead. The ending was just too ironic and depressing.

Villabolo

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

L'ing OL at Mogwa at the end of Last of the Mohicans, Misery? Warm up. Thaw out. I had some sympathy for Mogwa. I felt sorry for him when the girl jumped to her death at the end. I thought I saw some evidence of a heart inside the man. It was a very sad scene.

• poppers
    poppers

Some great ones have been mentioned, but nobody has mentioned the first one that came to my mind - Brian's Song. Also, the Gary Sinese/John Malkovich version of Of Mice and Men.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

"Map of the Human Heart" was horribly tragic and sad.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    Toy Story 3 is one of those few movies that can be rightly labeled as "Makes Grown Men Cry".

Bawled my eyes out. Damn kids... going and growing up, not needing their toys (or their mommys and daddys) anymore...I'm freaking crying right now. It didn't help that my son was the exact age of the boy in that movie...

Shadowlands is pretty sad. And beautiful. "The pain then is part of the happiness now. That's the deal."

Legends of the Fall was so sad that it actually made me angry. I wanted to hunt down the film maker for what he did to me. Hate that movie. Same with Million Dollar Baby.

• TD
    TD

Grave of the Fireflies

Winter Light

All Mine To Give

Finding Neverland

AI

Brian's Song

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Big Fish,I cant even finish it.Cold Mountain was so sad,but so well done,with lots of sub stories,that I loved it,one of my all time favorite movies and books.Big Fish tho,so sad....

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I thought of Brian's Song, but didn't list it.

Fiddler on the Roof was sad.

Every time I have communion, I keep it in my mouth and return to the pew. I kneel down, close my eyes and think of the flogging scene in the Passion... Whether you believe Jesus was a mere man or God's son, he was a good person who didn't deserve that.

• Violia
    Violia

"Stella" with Bette Midler and John Goodman

"Imitation Of life" the second version

"A Street Car named Desire" both versions, Marlon Brando is hard act to follow, but I always felt Ann Margaret was the best Blanche.

to add

Somewhere in time

Thelma and Louise

What dreams may come- robbin Williams

Riding in cars with boys-

Papillion -

Cool hand luke

can't recall the name but the father is a fire fighter and dies young and the son ( as a man) contacts him through a cb type radio,I love this movie as I love most time travel movies. I really do like them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit