Oz Govt following UK & French lead on Tax/Charity status

by Mattieu 153 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

-bator said:

Isaac

You prove my point, Australia isn't stopping scientology "harming" individuals they are just saying they need to pay for the right to carry on harming individuals in there country.

Taxation is a very dishonest greedy way to sanction a religion.

My reply: Taxing a religion means the government is no longer subsidizing it. All income is subject to taxation- unless pecifically exempted/excluded. The rationale is that the government is encouraging people to support the entity- which is providing a service that the government would otherwise have to provide.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

-R-bator, are you saying the govt should ban Scientology and JWs? You do not know what you are talking about regarding taxes so you may want to stay off that topic.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I would further say that the Jehovah's Witness religion very dishonestly hides behind their tax-exempt status while providing nothing for the community of any real value. The WT and its massive properties...not paying property taxes all those years in a prime section of Brooklyn Heights.

You mentioned the Australian govt not stopping Scientology? Removing a tax-exempt status hurts an entity greatly!

You also said;

Taxation is a very dishonest greedy way to sanction a religion.

My reply: Dishonest? As i said previously, ALL income is subject to taxation, from whatever source derived unless excluded by the government. The government chooses to allow the status to entities providing a public service for the good of the community. If abused, or not provided it certainly has the right to withdraw the staus and tax...just like any business is taxes.

You lose again Reniaathepoordebator

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

If the US turns against the religions and makes them pay taxes you know the WTS will spin this as the beast attacking religion and then "the end will be near." They sure love to spin wonder if Bill O'Reilley is a consultant?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Curiousbutterly, You can hear the JWs chanting, we always knew this was coming.

• metatron
    metatron

All churches and religions that absorb donations should be taxed. If they can't survive that, then God is not supporting them.

On the other hand, charities can do work that further the purpose of society, such as soup kitchens, child care and so on. If the Watchtower can't do this, let them be taxed and stop existing as parasites and freeloaders.

metatron

• debator
    debator

Allowing for simply soup kitchens, cat sanctuaries, child care as tax exempt only, is simply saying People have no right to spiritual goals either.

Religious intolerance wrapped up in taxation as an excuse, is simply being dishonest.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly
    Curiousbutterly, You can hear the JWs chanting, we always knew this was coming.

I agree and it is so sad because there will be a spin on it. Even the thought of it makes be wonder will it be the end and then I slap myself back into reality. Years of growing up in the org always makes me wonder, but I try and reason. Am I the only one who goes through this?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa said:

Allowing for simply soup kitchens, cat sanctuaries, child care as tax exempt only, is simply saying People have no right to spiritual goals either.

My reply: Spiritual goals but no social services provides nothing for the good of the community. Any group claiming the tax-exempt status and not providing a genuine social service is dishonest. The only intolerance is of abuse of status here. Sorry.

• debator
    debator

Hi curious butterfly

How much of the bible prophecies will have to be fulfilled around you before you realise you might be slapping yourself back into blindness?

People once said it would be unimaginable that governments could turn on the religions they doted on and yet now Governments barely tolerate Religions. I think it would take flaming hailstones falling from the sky for some to realise the Bible is being fulfilled around them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit