Oz Govt following UK & French lead on Tax/Charity status

by Mattieu 153 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Just another update on 1 Australian Senators quest to squash the tax free status of Scientology/JW's and other cults:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/call-for-independent-charities-commission-20100912-1570g.html

Now the election is over, hopefully wont take too long for legislation to pass. Interesting that the Oz Government want to use the same French agency that helped overturn the JW's status in France.a

http://www.miviludes.gouv.fr/

Hmmm, will they close the local bethel or downsize?? Cheers, Mattieu

• debator
    debator

Yes governments should be able to decide what religions are acceptable or not for the people in their country and milk the ones they decide against with dedicated followers for money.

Tick the box for which religions the governments thinks are acceptable for you. Make your pick of 2 or 3 accessed and suitably governmentally shaped religions for you.

It is a predicted thing the move towards governments coming to the point of ultimately destroying religions but it is sad to see the reality of the stepping stones being set in place before they walk that road.

• bohm
    bohm

Go go Australia!

debator: Lets hear it in all the details you can manage without a knee-jerk reaction. How would you explain to an australian tax-payer why scientology should have tax-excempt status?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The Kiwis would be happy to take over for them

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

ah, you Jehovah's witnesses...

are you feeling the persecution yet?

all JWs look forward to the day when governments squash/control religion...

oz

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

debator, you make a fair point but surely democratically elected governments do have a responsibility to protect their public from harm? Religious movements are not all equal, some may be benign, others destructive.

And surely when it comes to tax all religious institutions should pay their way - no exceptions.

As for charitable status, prove it. A religious group should never be assumed to be charitable by default.

• debator
    debator

Why would I need to give reasons to a tax payer? Religions support themselves! They do not take taxes, tax exempt simply means they don't pay them!

If a Political Government are going to make this move why some religions but not all of them? You don't think France won't enjoy this new source of money from taxation of people's donations to their spiritual life and then think "hmmm lets do it to all of them?"

You do not see that taxing religions is just another way for polititions to get money from average people? and in this instance from peoples religious choices?

Our Spiritual choices are God's bailiwick not political leaders.

I respect political governments for the authority Jehovah has given them but they seem to be getting greedy as to what they control!

• bohm
    bohm

(side question on theology: If debator actually manage to give a coherent answer and not just evade the question using his usual anti-interlectual rhetorical tricks, will that be a sign armageddon is imminent, or that hell is freezing over?)

• debator
    debator

Hi Nicolaou.

However demoncratically elected a Government is, it should not invade our spiritual choices.

In England you see two apposing political Partiess trying to run a country ATM after a recent demoncratic election and what is scary is the only thing they agreed on is how much power and money they get off the people.

In America a Personality is chosen as President and the reality is the political machine behind him making his choices for him.

Do I think any of these could make a sound choice as to what religions are suitable for me to believe in? ehh Nope.

Polititions should stay away from religion but like I said it is a predicted thing that they will not!

When I donate money to my chosen religion I am donating it to my God and his people, not to politicians.

Hi Bohm

How this happens? frankly, I don't know! Prophecy fullfillment is very much a "wait and see" situation all we can do is prepare ourselves.

• bohm
    bohm

debator: Okay, so your answer as to why scientology in particular should not pay taxes is:

• you dont have to give a reason (oookaaaay)
    • because they dont get money from the government (hey, i dont either, should i have to pay taxes?)
    • restating the definition of tax-excempt
    • missing the point that the law is specifically against religions that match (or do not match) some set of criteria, then act confused on that point.
    • stating that taxes is a way for the state to get money (...so it can pay for services it provide to everyone)
    • stating you have freedom of religion.

Hell is not freezing so far...

Debator: Explain to an australian tax-payer why scientology should not have to pay taxes.

Try to do it without making up an argument that is irrelevant, or apply to non-religious groups like companies, or invoking freedoms that are not being threatened, such as the freedom to remain a scientologist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit