Oz Govt following UK & French lead on Tax/Charity status

by Mattieu 153 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Don't worry about it debator.

If they are Jehovah's Org, He'll look after them....

.... If it isn't, he won't.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Renia/Debator:Prophecy fullfillment is very much a "wait and see" situation all we can do is prepare ourselves.

My reply: As opposed to the WT making false prophecies? They do not wait and see.

• darthfader
    darthfader

When a religeion begins to act like a business then it should be taxed like one. Tax status of donations and the exempt qualifications for charitable organizations are in place so that charitable giving/work is promoted. Charity is briefly defined as: the benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity. It seems when an organization uses its cash for things other than directly supporting the "charitable" work, they are acting like a business... In my opinion, Scientology is a business. I'm not so sure about the Jw's though. If they are still "selling books" someplace, it doesn't help their case.

DF

• debator
    debator

Hi bohm

Please don't sidetrack me with a strawman. Scientology may not be my choice of religion but ATM Jehovah has given freewill to choose and accept the consequences of that choice.

If you want to be an Atheist and have a finite life? that is what you get...finite life.

If you want to join a religion that was started by a fiction writer? that is what you will get..fiction.

If you want to join a man-made false nameless triune God that doesn't exist in the bible? that is what you will get...non-existent nameless God.

My choice I fully accept is Jehovah and I accept the consequences of that choice too.

Religious people's donations to religions are not the political governmants jurisdiction. Unless a religion is actually breaking the laws of the land the governments should not be dealing with them. And they certainly should not be taxing our beliefs.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

If you want to accept a man-mad cult (such as the JWs), you et a life of chasing after an elusive new world dangled before your eyes, at times by dates put forth as God's promise...and end up broke, having slaved for man...and perhaps having needless casualties along the way.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Hi Debator,

Firstly thank you for reading my post and making a comment. Great thing about this board is that we can have a view. Though could you please consider your following quote:

Unless a religion is actually breaking the laws of the land the governments should not be dealing with them

Now, when any religion, including JW's sign up to receive (and enjoy) a tax free exemption, they agree to abide by the legal requirements and the spirit of those regulations. Now once any religious organisatoin is found to be taking advantages of any loopholes in tax free legislation or abusing the system for a financial gain, they deserve to be investigated. Particuarly when a religion is asked what charitable acts they perform in the local community to deserve this tax status and the reply is "we go door to door teaching the Bible" then they desrev to be looked at.

And they certainly should not be taxing our beliefs.

They are not taxing anyones beliefs, just taxing the super profits that these religious corporations, including JW's make.

Food for thought. Cheers mate, Mattieu

• debator
    debator

Hi darthfader

Define business? Ours is a voluntary and non-profit organisation, we offer weekly bible studies for free for as long as a person wants them from our own time and free publications and bibles in multiple languages. So people all have the opportunity to learn about Jehovah God and his son Jesus. Our donations are from among ourselves.

People have a creteria of what they consider acceptable charity work..spirtual feeding is becoming very low on that list, if on it at all!

Feed the hungry? yes charity.

help the disabled? yes charity?

help the aged? yes charity?

build pretty gardens and parks? yes charity.

Cat sanctuary? yes charity

Feed people spiritual knowledge about God and teach his word the Bible?...NO it's not real, God isn't real! religions need to prove they do charitable things like above. Never mind what God people believe in.

You think the governments should have a money slice of our spiritual choices?

The fruitage of this is religions will have to drop God and do acceptable charity work instead!

Hi math

I refer you to the above and add

So if a religion makes too much money a government is allowed to cream some off for themselves?

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

Mark 12:17

Jesus then said: “Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar, but God’s things to God.”. . .

• geevee
    geevee

A while ago someone got a copy of the WT 2005 company tax statement in Australia. $16 million donated and it listed $1500 as being disposed of in "charitable" works! We all know how much money they give in this way.

Even some little old lady down to her last penny is first sent back to beg from her family before she is helped out, and then it will usually be by an individual and not the cong! No one gets their hands on that cash!

• debator
    debator

Exactly 3moz

I pay taxes to my government. when I donate to my religion it is for God not governments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit