Well, I Guess There IS One Good Thing About the WTBTS...

by AGuest 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Voices
    Voices

uh...Michelle... lol what?! where'd that come from! LOL

Shelby: agreed. I'm suprzied about your 'ookkayy??' ...i'm presuming that's about my last comment...

I'm still trying shelby. (u know what i mean) SS

I figured my talking probably got on everyone's nerves...

Monu

• Voices
    Voices

Cameo-D

now wait a min.. not only do you NOT know the reasons for My...shelbys...or Mr. X (whoever it was that went to mcdonalds in the other post) ...

wait.....actually you do know my reason...that is....bsaically to make sure they get food regardless of what others think ...whether they think i'm being a 'good samaritan ' or 'self righteous sanctimonous action' ..etc.. and THAT is the entire point.

When you focus or say things like 'oh people are just doing it for self righteous reasons' ...there are people on this board...who MAY begin to think that, THAT act, giving food to the hungry/homeless ...which you agree is a good thing... and make a strong correlation that if THEY DID it...they might be doing it out of a 'bad motive' ... because the focus has been on the NEGATIVE here... Where as what i'm trying to say...good motive or not....give food to those tht are hungry...don't worry about your OWN motive....if you RECOGNIZE (have light on yourself) that your doing it out of a BAD motive...that's where you have to fight yourself and 'change your thinking' ......AND GOD KNOWS I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO CHANGE YOUR THINKING (not yelling...just emphasizing) ...BUT whether my thinking is 'straight' or 'not' ....that person (homeless/hungry).....is fed. And that changes teh WORLD that day for them.

I agree it shouldn't be done with self righteousness in mind...but even if it's self righteousness...DO IT! .. and in the process.....CHANGE your thinking. but STILL do it!

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Yes. And that could have been easily done, in the case in question, by simply asking the guy what he'd like, and then buying it for him.

Perhaps, dear Six (yeah, you're dear to me, again, so peace to you!). I did ask about that and was told that the giver wanted to allow the man to have whatever he wanted. Enough for the present time... and a later meal, if he wanted/needed that. Apparently, the man started to say and the giver said, "Well, just come on it and order, and I'll pay." It was then that the man told him that they wouldn't serve him there. The giver... thought the man was mistaken.

What you folks MIGHT want to take into consideration is that there ARE people in this world that haven't seen much of the "seedy" side of life and/or have never received such an... ummmm... reception... from a merchant themselves. There ARE people who really HAVE been sheltered... who, perhaps previously... even walked by such hungry men themselves. Not because they were mean... but because such people weren't really on their RADAR. But all of those situations are IRRELEVANT... when such ones finally GET it... and TRY to do the right thing. Does it MATTER that they didn't do it "perfectly"... perhaps as YOU would? Isn't the IMPORTANT thing is that they DID it? Even when it was HARD... when there seemed to be an OBSTACLE?

No, nevermind. Some of you will never get it... as evidenced by your responses. You won't get it... because you don't WANT to get it. And that is your choice, of course. The only thing I can say to now, however, is that you REALLY should stop putting down JWs... for the exact same thing. Indeed, for ANYTHING.

Because, apparently... while you MAY be able to take the man out of the WTBTS... it's obvious that you can't alway take the WTBTS... out of the man.

I bid you all peace.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Voices
    Voices

GASP........

shelby..pm

• AGuest
    AGuest
    GASP........

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! WHOOOOOOO-HOOOOO, Voices (and the GREATEST of love and peace to you, Monu!! ) PRAISE JAH!!!

I'm suprzied about your 'ookkayy??' ...i'm presuming that's about my last comment...

Why, dear one, and yep!

I'm still trying shelby. (u know what i mean) SS

I absolutely know what you mean and as I have said to you many... you will get there. Your gasp shows ME... that you have ARRIVED!! WHOO-HOOO!!

I figured my talking probably got on everyone's nerves...

Not at ALL. LOOK what came of it! Think if you had just left off! I am SO happy for you, Monu! SO happy!!

The GREATEST of love and peace to you, my dear, dear Monu!

YOUR servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest

Going (to PM) now, dear one!

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

donuthole said:

The offering isn't so bethel can have a new chandelier. It isn't so the youth group can get a new flat-screen. Thieves. It is for the poor. It belongs to them. In society and in religions the poor always come last. The mortgage company gets paid, the utility company gets paid, the pastor gets paid, his secretary gets paid, the youth pastor gets paid, the music minister gets paid, the building fund gets paid, and whatever crumb is left we call benovalence and give to the poor. Sorry for the soap-box - but this really gets me angry ...

When I read that part, I couldn't help but think of the case of when Judas Iscariot was fussing about why didn't the disciples give the money to the poor instead of using the expensive perfumed oil for the feet of Jesus. (John 12:1-8)

John 12:4,5 [NWT] "But Judas Is·car′i·ot, one of his disciples, who was about to betray him, said: “Why was it this perfumed oil was not sold for three hundred de·nar′i·i and given to the poor people?

Jesus answered in verse 8 "For YOU have the poor always with YOU, but me YOU will not have always.”

As much as I like to help the poor and all people for that matter, sometimes the answer isn't always just to give the poor a handout.

Me personally, I'll find out about someone before I just give them anything. Anything less is just pure stupidity. If I know someone's poor, and the reason for them being poor is when they get money they go buy booze with it, you better believe I'm not taking from my family and giving to them just to get drunk all over again.

You've maybe heard the saying, give a man a fish and you feed that man for a day, teach a man to fish and feed that man for life.

I subscribe to that philosophy. It's much better to teach the poor to benefit themselves and become a productive member of society. Then it not only helps them but humanity as a whole.

Edited to add: If you want to give anything to the poor, give them a job. That will make them feel a sense of self-worth.

Instead of giving them 50 dollars as a handout...tell them you'll give them 50 dollars to mow your lawn, or rake your yard or anything to build confidence in their ability to be a functioning member of society. I think that is what is meant by people when they say, God helps those who are willing to help themselves.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Well, I guess the WTBTS had/taught something that appealed to us all (for me, it was that they had the "truth"), dear StoneWall (peace to you!). Including that thought that we're not REALLY our brother's "keeper." Not really... and so our brother's "tribulation"... whatever it may be... really isn't OUR individual problem(s). Thankfully, the "silence"... in this and the other thread... from some... is quite uplifting and hopeful. Curious, yes, but uplifting and hopeful... that not EVERYONE left their heart... in the WTBTS (if they even had one there - ).

Anyway, since I am sure those who would get it got it... and believe that those who most probably wouldn't probably didn't... I shall move on.

Again, peace to you...

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Voices
    Voices

Stone wall:

I see what you're saying. Please read my previous comment about 'if it's in your ability to do so, do so...but if you can't do that right now give what you can' (not exact words).....i even was using your philisophy of 'teaching them how to 'fish' '... etc..

As far as the Scripture is concerned.. lets read it together shall we?

"..Martha was serving, and Lazarus was among those present at the table

(Lazarus who had JUST been brought back from the dead)

When you SERVE someone...you're doing an act of humbless. What did Judas do? he criticized the act. Martha did something out of LOVE (love conquers all...against these there is no law, such as if it's 'morally right' or 'morally wrong' to give food to the homeless...etc..) to the Master...she 'ANNOINTED' his feet. She was 'SERVING' him. Judas criticized her for it! ...therefore HINDERING an act of servitude and love. it's no WONDER Christ said what he said. Also, if Martha didn't think of sending that money and using it for the homeless BUT she did think of an act of servitude and love....why stop it? Apparntly judast thought he knew better? pride maybe?

it didn't have anything to do with 'Don't feed the homeless '...or find out first if they're really having a hard time.. or gonna spend it on booze. ... it had to do with preventing a 'good deed' ...out of a 'good motive' ...from being shunned.

and that he wasn't always going to be around

if your so worried about the booze thing...read my first-second post on this thread...

• AGuest
    AGuest

I may be wrong, dear Voices (peace to you!), but wasn't it Mary? Either way... GREAT point and post!

The greatest of love and peace to you!

Your servant and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit