Adam and Eve and free will

by inbetween 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

One could argue that God would have been for more merciful to kill them right there and then, but that would be right either.

God gave them what they wanted in the end, to be like God, to know good and evil, and all that goes with it.

Moral may have been "careful what you wish for, you just might get it".

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Genesis reads that on the day they EAT of it, they will die, not that they Die ON THAT day.

It is a subtle difference but, since they did NOT die on that day, it is obvious that God meant soemthing else, as I stated above.

There is no difference. "On the day you eat of it, you will die". You can put the emphasis anywhere you like, but it says on the day they eat, they will die.

I am NOT a bible literalist, but even I see that what was said was not that they would die on the very day/moment they ate the fruit.

Oh, well, then show the me scripture where it says that. Otherwise, that's what you are wanting it to say, not what it says.

Remember the hebrew word youm can mean a variety of time periods, not just a 24hr day or specific day.

Sure it can, but there is always context that demonstrate that. There is no context to suggest that here.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Exactly, God wanted people with free will and he got it and in the end, was exposed for not telling the truth ;)

• sabastious
    sabastious

So they wished to live life the way they wanted and wanted to actually be able to tell the difference between right and wrong... then God cursed them and they took 1000 years to die and died as old feeble defeated people...

Dude, this story sucks.

I'd rather read Rudyard Kipling, with him I don't have to worry about millions of people believing that's actually how the Elephant got it's trunk, and how that explains the meaning of life.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

And as a side note, notverylikely, why does your gravatar have a penis? And what is wrong with it? It's reddish on the tip.

-Sab

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

God told Adam that, on the DAY he ATE the fruit, he would die, but he didn't die, did he?

SO that must mean that what was said did NOT state or imply immediate death and Adam and Eve knew that, notice how there is no wonder and surprise that they did NOT fall over dead?

No, you WANT it to mean something else other than the obvious conclusion that God was wrong about what he said.

Of course there is no wonder, God has a long history indiscriminate mind changing, killing, not killing and fucking with people's lives. At least he's consistent.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

And as a side note, notverylikely, why does your gravatar have penis? And what is wrong with it? It's reddish on the tip.

I have no idea :) it's the one I was auto-assigned when i joined up and i don't know how to change it. And quit looking at my penis. I usually charge for that.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Sure it can, but there is always context that demonstrate that. There is no context to suggest that here.

The context is that they did NOT day on "that day".

So they wished to live life the way they wanted and wanted to actually be able to tell the difference between right and wrong... then God cursed them and they took 1000 years to die and died as old feeble defeated people.

Funnt how that worked out for them eh?

Still, after all that, they still yearned to be with God.

Maybe there is a lesson there too...

No, you WANT it to mean something else other than the obvious conclusion that God was wrong about what he said.

Dude, I already told you, I don't want it to mean anything at all, Genesis is just a story and liek any story, you get out of it what you came in to it with.

And dude, put some Lotriderm on that thing, unless you want your schlong to look like it has a strawberry for a head.

LOL !

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Funnt how that worked out for them eh?

It frightens me that you condone this act of God.

-Sab

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    It frightens me that you condone this act of God.

I'd be more frightened of Mr.Strawberry penis ;)

I don't condone anything at all, or condem.

God did nothing to them per say, they did it to themselves.

As pointed out, God didn't even kill them, just gave them a long life full of bountiful efforts and lots of kids !

Sarcasam aside, IF we take the story as fact and we shouldn't, we see that God gave them everything and the only thing God denied them is the knowledge of Pain, Evil, misery and sorrow and that is what they wanted, so in the end, God gave them what they wanted.

And he's the bad guy in this ??

They were happy and content, prancing naked and frolicking with animals, but that wasn't enough was it?

Isn't that the point of the whole story? How some can have all that makes them happy and they will throw it all away for something that makes them sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit