Definition of Atheist

by ZeusRocks 116 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

PS: Do you agree that your definition of atheist describe a person who is not scientific in his thinking, and it does not capture what the vast majority of atheists actually believe?

In common language i would also say that i dont believe in God. Like i would say "I believe stuff fall to the ground". But i aknowledge there is a possibliity, small as it may be, that i am wrong.

Do you believe there is a possibility Allah is the true God and not Yahweh?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Do you believe there is a possibility Allah is the true God and not Yahweh?

Well, not getting into the argument of whether they are one in the same or just different views of the same God, I will say this:

Outside of personal revelation, I conceed that there is a possibility that Allah is God and that it may even be possible that ISLAM is the correct interpretation of God's will.

On a personal note, I know that to not be correct, but that is neither here nor there in regards to your question.

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks
    So as an Atheist why are you having such a hard time admitting that you "BELIEVE" there is no God?

Because the word atheist isn't about what someone believes.

'a' - is from alpha, which is a negative prefix, 'without', 'no'
    'theos' - god or gods

There is no positive in the original word we derive in english to word atheist. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
    I have no god(s), I am without god(s), and will remain that way unless there is any real demonstrable evidence that one exists.

• bohm
    bohm

PS: Well, i think you got my point :-).

What would you call a person like Dawkins or myself?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PS: Well, i think you got my point :-).

Not sure if I did...

What would you call a person like Dawkins or myself?

Believers-in-waiting.

;)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Deputy:

I don't believe Vishnu is a god, but that's not the same as saying I'm an atheist to Vishnu. I agree with Indians a God exists.

IMHO, we have reached an impasse on this topic.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Deputy -- One more thing. As best as I can tell, according to your definition of the word "atheist", I'm not an atheist, nor do atheists even exist. I'm still going to burn in Hell for all eternity, however.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

bohm

DD: why is the opposite impossible? do you use an objective methology that can be applied to other problems?

I think that's a long discussion for another thread.

ZR and bohm

bohm said:

Can you give me an example of one person who is an atheist in the truest sence of the word, and where he describe how he arrive at that conclusion? None of the "big" atheists are atheist in that sence, and i am certainly not.
    Like i said, it is a fundamentally unscientific belief. My guess is that person would be a crackpot, crazy or stupid.

This is getting to the heart of the debate. Most people who want to call themselves "atheists" don't want to admit they have a bias or a presupposition. They want to claim "NEUTRALITY", something I believe to be a myth, and I believe they are fooling themselves.

leavingwt

As best as I can tell, according to your definition of the word "atheist", I'm not an atheist, nor do atheists even exist. I'm still going to burn in Hell for all eternity, however.

Being an Atheist, Agnostic or Theist has nothing to do with burning in hell. I believe there will be people from all 3 camps in hell.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Deputy -- Do atheists exist? Earlier, a poster said that they do not.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Atheists get their own special place in Hell where they get Christian music and televangelists blasted at them nonstop.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit