Definition of Atheist

by ZeusRocks 116 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

DD: I do no such thing. Im just saying that if you give Atheist the meaning you want it to have, very, very few atheists exist, and atheists like me or Dawkins would disagree with them on many counts. I dont really see how that give any clarity to language, but perhaps your not interested in that, your childish remark certainly indicate that.

And let me get this straight: You first arrive to the 100% sure conclusion one (or more?) Gods exist. THEN you derive proberties of that God and arrive at the conclusion it is Yahweh/jesus.

Can you elaborate on the first part?

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks
    Are you an Atheist or Agnostic?

I'm not any fence, never said I was. I'm atheist. Agnostic is different.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Deputy:

I am in NO WAY an Atheist to "all other possible Gods".

Some Indians worship Vishnu. They believe that Vishnu is a true God. Do you believe that Vishnu is a god that exists?

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks
    I do not agree with all theists, as to the identity of God.

So really all it boils down to is that god is whatever you want or believe him to be. Same with just about every other theist.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Bohm

And let me get this straight: You first arrive to the 100% sure conclusion one (or more?) Gods exist. THEN you derive proberties of that God and arrive at the conclusion it is Yahweh/jesus.
    Can you elaborate on the first part?

I believe God exists because of the impossibility of the contrary. I freely admit this is my presupposition.

What does this have to do with the Definition of Atheist?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

leavingwt

Some Indians worship Vishnu. They believe that Vishnu is a true God. Do you believe that Vishnu is a god that exists?

I don't believe Vishnu is a god, but that's not the same as saying I'm an atheist to Vishnu. I agree with Indians a God exists.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Guys, an atheist, by definition, is someone that does NOT believe in God or in Gods, period.

Lets not over complicate it.

The moment someone believes in the possibility of "God", in what ever form, they are NOT an atheist.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

ZR

I'm not any fence, never said I was. I'm atheist. Agnostic is different.

So as an Atheist why are you having such a hard time admitting that you "BELIEVE" there is no God?

• bohm
    bohm

PS: i agree that it should not be over-complicated, but i have to disagree with the defition. I certainly think a God is a possibility; and with definitions many theists use Big Bang could be said to be "caused" by a God. The problem is that the current God-models (odin, yahweh, zeus) have both evidence and occams razor against them, and therefore i reject them; i dont think they should have special status as far as evidence goes.

My definition:

"Atheist: A person who dont find the evidence for any God he has heard about convincing".

I believe Dawkins is in that camp to. I think the real gab between atheists and (some) theists is that atheists (like me & dawkins) treat "God" (yahweh, zeus, etc) like any other hypothesis like gravity, eather theory, flat earth, etc.; whereas i think DD give God a special status interlectually.

• bohm
    bohm

DD: why is the opposite impossible? do you use an objective methology that can be applied to other problems?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit