Definition of Atheist

by ZeusRocks 116 Replies latest jw friends

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

leavingwt

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

I don't have the same "belief" in YHWH that others do in any other "possible gods". So what makes Stephen F. Roberts think he understands why I "dismiss all the other possible gods"?

• Consfearacy
    Consfearacy

Atheist's arguments make more sense than Christendom's creationists.

• Without God, there's no way to figure out which religions, if any, are true and false.
    • Without God, the beliefs of people within the same religion frequently come into disagreement.
    • Without God, believers find ways to explain why God appears invisible and why God doesn't do anything.
    • Without God, believers come to rely on an idea called "faith" instead of relying on their innate ability to separate non-fiction and fiction.

No one can prove there is no God, just as no one can prove there are no purple elephants on Neptune. On the other hand, no one can prove God exists either. But that doesn't make it a coin-toss, because if God existed, things would be very different around here. If a God existed, he wouldn't have been so bad at directing scriptures. He probably wouldn't have created so many different religions. He would not have made his believers so morally confused. He would not have directed his flocks to wage war on one another.

Everything makes sense if you don't assume God. If you assume God, virtually nothing about our modern understanding of the universe makes any good sense.

• agonus
    agonus

Is the idea of a higher power/intelligence of some kind REALLY as ludicrous as purple elephants on Neptune? All human cultures from the beginning of time have had some conception of the divine...

And, yes, I understand dismissing "god(s)" that are very human-like since they are made in the image of humans, i.e. Baal, Yahweh, Thor, Zeus, Elvis, etc. but I wouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss an Almighty Creator...

• agonus
    agonus

And Consfearacy... God or no God, everything DOES NOT "just make sense". This world makes very little sense to me, and I'm no atheist...

• bohm
    bohm

DD: i did no such thing. Read, man!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

bohm

DD: i did no such thing. Read, man!

Just asking. Are you not implying that yours should be the excepted definition of atheism?

You may well be the exception to the common definition of atheist, just as I may not fit the typical definition of "Christian".

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Deputy -- He wants to know why you've dismissed all other possible Gods. I don't really understand your question and he probably wouldn't understand it, either. This may be due to the whole Light/Darkness disconnect that separates God's people from the children of Satan. Or, maybe one of us or both of us are not being honest with ourself or with others.

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

What a cry baby!

It is YOU who seeks to redefine the word "Atheist", not theist. Just because you are an Atheist, that doesn't mean you own the word "atheist". Why don't you get your own word or even your own language?

Classic example of someone who doesn't care about what is actually correct because it doesn't line up with what they think. Why don't you educate yourself a bit before making stupid comments.

Yep, you're absolutely right Gladiator. Alot of god believers don't seem to be concerned with what is actually honest and truthful, hence it's near impossible to have any honest conversation as shown by their reaction at being corrected with their flimsy and downright incorrect definition of atheist they use in arguments.
    At the end of the day, believers believe what they believe, because that's what they believe, regarding god or any other ideas they have in their heads whether they are correct or not.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

leavingwt

Deputy -- He wants to know why you've dismissed all other possible Gods. I don't really understand your question and he probably wouldn't understand it, either. This may be due to the whole Light/Darkness disconnect that separates God's people from the children of Satan. Or, maybe one of us or both of us are not being honest with ourself or with others.

I'm a theist because I believe there MUST (not may) be a God, and I agree with ALL "theists" on that point. I'm a Christian because I believe I know who He is. Everyone I am in NO WAY an Atheist to "all other possible Gods". I do not agree with all theists, as to the identity of God.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    Classic example of someone who doesn't care about what is actually correct because it doesn't line up with what they think. Why don't you educate yourself a bit before making stupid comments.

Why don't you get off the fence? Stop hedging your bet. Are you an Atheist or Agnostic?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit