Definition of Atheist

by ZeusRocks 116 Replies latest jw friends

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

I've noticed on so many threads people misrepresenting what and atheist is. So hopefully anyone who is so inclined can view this clip to get it a bit of clarity on the definition, so others don't have to constantly repeat themselves and correct uneducated assertions on what atheism is.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt1wDNRkllQ

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

ZeusRocks

Over a number of threads you have had a fair crack at explaining that atheism is not a belief. Believers do not want to hear this. If they can successfully claim that atheism is a belief, they can then demand that we stand up and offer prove for our belief.

The idea that anything can be straight forward and simple is alien in the world of people who believe there are invisible beings, of varying status, lurking in the fundament and heaven.

Quite simply, the world is divided into two types of homosapiens:

Theists who believe in and often worship god or gods.

A-theists who haven't a clue what they are on about and would rather spend their spare time sinning..

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Wow. That video makes me sad.

I'd like to recommend a good therapist for all you poor Atheists (victims of the English language).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgiUm4lQig

• wobble
    wobble

I do agree that we Atheists get put in little boxes to which we have no right to be in.

But there is fault on both sides, Richard Dawkins, and his cohorts, for example with there shrill de-crying of any belief in the super-natural are showing a marked ignorance of Theology and are guilty, as are most fundamentalists, of putting all believers in the same category.

Some posters on here are guilty of this as well.

"All Atheists are without morals"

"All Muslims are violent misogynists"

"All theists believe in a Sky-daddy"

These kind of generalising statements are not only false, they stop debate and make the world a less educated place.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

My wonderful hubby is an atheist - he has integrity, loyalty, morals, and loads of love...so that'll do - I'm still a believer but I dont need him to be one - he's fabulous just exactly the way he is...

Loz x

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Technically Christians are about as atheist as I am. The only difference is that I believe in one less god than Christians do.

• onemore
    onemore

Atheism are just as guilty as god believing people of generalizing, and accusing, for example, all Christians of believing that atheist are evil, immoral, self-centered, and ignorant.

I certainly don’t believe that about atheists and I’m sure that other god believing people don’t feel that way towards atheists.

Also, I’m never going to understand why a person that calls himself an atheists, says it in a condescending tone towards believers. It’s as if atheists feel that they are smarter, more sophisticated and better educated than god believing people.

I don’t know what is sophisticated about believing that we became from monkeys. At least believing in spontaneous existence is more dignifying.

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

I don’t know what is sophisticated about believing that we became from monkeys.

Evolution doesn't show we came from monkeys.

At least believing in spontaneous existence is more dignifying.

There's nothing dignified in assuming anything without demonstrable evidence.

Besides, this thread was about theists who continuously twist what atheism actually is to suit their own point of view, because they are either don't understand or can't be bothered to actually look it up.

• onemore
    onemore

…either don't understand or can't be bothered to actually look it up.

But as the video that you posted shows, if I decide to look up the meaning of the word atheist, I’ll come across those definitions that the atheists say are inaccurate. But with guys like Richard Dawkins (the believer’s Ken Ham) running around, I (and other believers) have no option but to trust that those definitions are correct.

In Spanish, the word for atheist is ateo. A=’no’ or ‘sin’ (without), teo= dios (god). So, in Spanish ateo is, no-dios (no-god) or sin-dios (without-god). Does this translation best describe what the correct English definition of atheist should be?

Another question:

If atheism is belief, what definition of the word belief best describes what atheism is ? Does this definition of the word belief (per the Merriam-Wesbter dictionary) fit? 3: conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence.

If not, what definition of the word belief best describes what atheism is?

What is your opinion? (I'm going somewhere with this).

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Besides, this thread was about theists who continuously twist what atheism actually is to suit their own point of view, because they are either don't understand or can't be bothered to actually look it up.

What a cry baby!

It is YOU who seeks to redefine the word "Atheist", not theist. Just because you are an Atheist, that doesn't mean you own the word "atheist". Why don't you get your own word or even your own language?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit