Is this how all door knocking is now?

by jamesmahon 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• wobble
    wobble

Well done James !

I think, sadly ,that the door-knocking witlesses of today are all of very poor calibre, the intelligent ones who knew their bible and their own (WT) doctrine have all left.

It can only be the feeble-minded or the "conscious class" who are left, and neither is going to do a good job on the DtoD work, from a witness point of view.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Loved that! Thanks so much for writing all that down - REAL good memory!

I suppose I will have been noted as 'didn't take magazine but interesting discussion. Showed interest and should return in a few weeks'.

That just had me laughing. It really is sad though, isn't it?

I remember our spiel, in this neck of the woods, always started with (ahem): Good Morning, my friend (insert name) and I are just making brief calls on you and your neighbours this morning, sharing an interesting thought from the Bible... (amazed I can even remember that much after almost 3 years out!)

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More
    JW: Would you like a magazine?
    Me: No, I have enough junk mail as it is. What is your website?

!!!!! I am still laughing at this - PRICELESS!

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Hi Meeting Junkie No More

(amazed I can even remember that much after almost 3 years out!)

Twenty years for me but guess it is like riding a bike - you never forget. Or perhaps a better analogy would be a really bad bout of diarrhoea - you never forget it however hard you try.

REAL good memory

I have to interview people for a living and find that notebooks etc. get in the way and your notes are just rubbish anyway (well mine certainly are). So what I do is listen closely to people, type up my notes after the interview and then send back to make sure this is what they have said. I think that is why they like people taking notes at meetings - if you take notes it is actually really difficult to listen. Well I think so anyway. I personally think it is very poor study practice for students of any description. Never thought it would be a skill that would be useful when Jehovah came knocking though.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nice one James.

I look forward to the time when the witlesses remember who I am and call on me again. It can't be long since the attrition rate is so damn high!!!!

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

hahaha good post.

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Cantleave - it took about fifteen tears after leaving before I finally had a knock on my door when I lived in leeds. I invited them around and had a two hour conversation with a young couple one evening. The bloke reminded me of my twin brother so I just wanted to punch him but stayed calm. Long conversation that I have now forgotten but I do remember I had a really heavy dining table that had one side against a wall and once you were sat there it was really difficult to get out. I deliberately got them to sit along that side so they couldn't escape quickly when I declared who I was. (a bit mean I know but it was only a couple of months after I had fallen out with my brothers). I played them along for an hour before showing my hand. The only thing I remember saying that makes me smile was the last thing I said as they left: "see you after armageddon - well I would if the crows havn't pecked my eyes out". Ah, good times.

My wife couldn't understand it at all and thought I was really mean. I wasn't so concerned about trying to prove them wrong then just let a lot of anger out towards the religion. I am more mellow now and if they come around again (which surely they must unless they go to this site) I really would like to free one if I can and would not say anything about my background.

• St George of England
    St George of England

A poster on this board lives in your neck of the woods James, he is called 'cofty' and works in Eyemouth:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/195579/1/I-saw-the-Queen-today-well-sort-of

I also remember some years ago one of the elders in Berwick had a son who was disfellowshipped for 'apostacy'. I wonder if he is on this site? He must be early 40's by now.

George

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

St George - I live between Eyemouth and Coldingham so small world. Having read that thread my blood was boiling a bit. The only thing that gets me anywhere near as angry as the JWs is the royal bloody family. I find the unflinching devotion and irrational justification based around nothing really then the pretence that they make people feel in some way superior and don't like change just too familiar to the borg. But hey ho. I want an elected head of state and my vote goes to Rolf Harris.

• St George of England
    St George of England

James - Is the cafe still on the beach at Coldingham? It used to belong to a brother (Liam Martin) who went on to own Martin's Bakery and The Good Food Shop in Berwick. They made the best gateaux in the world! I think they retired to Germany. The cafe then went a another JW couple who owned it for a few years.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit