Is this how all door knocking is now?

by jamesmahon 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

No - the cafe on the beach is owned by the people who own St Vedas hotel (english farmer believe it or not who packed it in to become a surf instructor). Could do with a good bakery in berwick to be honest so it is a pity they have gone. How did you get to know up here so well? I think it is one of the most beautiful places in the world but so few people even know it is here. I guess they just cross the border and don't stop until they get to edinburgh.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Used to live there but don't tell anyone!

George

• Heaven
    Heaven

James, good job! I especially like your "I'll Google you." Anytime someone comes knocking, it's a good idea to do that.

I was in a little gift shop several years ago in Streetsville, Ontario (Canada) and a little old Portugese woman came in with the Botchtower mag. She couldn't speak a stick of English. She handed the mag to the shop owner, smiled, and pointed at the publication a few times and then left.

He turns to me and says "I don't have the heart to tell her that I don't read these. I just throw them out."

I said to him "The poor woman. She thinks she's doing God's work. They really shouldn't send her out when she can't speak English."

I think when you consistently, year after year, dumb down your membership like the WTS does, your org. is gonna suffer. The people doing the door to door work really need to be excellent salespeople. And usually, they are not. In over 24 years, my Father has brought no one into the Borg. Woohoo!

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

St George - You used to live in Coldingham? Small world. Whereabouts?

Heaven - I think even the foreign lady had more chance of conversion then mine did. It really is like they need proper sales training. I suppose they cannot do that because it is just too obvious - "ask lots of closed questions. Get them to agree with you. Then start making suggestions about what they need to improve their life". It would give a different feel to the theocratic ministry school though. "Your assignment Brother Mahon is selling a used toilet brush to Brother Fawcett who is a householder with obsessive compulsive disorder".

When I lived in Australia my cousin sold life insurance and pensions for a time. I suggested (in all seriousness I think - i was only 11) that when she was out door knocking if they didn't want to live forever and become a witness she should offer to sell them life cover instead. It was not considered very funny.

• St George of England
    St George of England

James - I lived in Berwick, well Tweedmouth actually, for quite a few years. Don't want to be too specific on dates etc as I am still 'in' trying to help my wife see the follies of the WTS.

It really is a nice part of the world to live. The KH is the Old Manor House of Tweedmouth although I understand it is up for sale as they want to do a 'quick build' up the Cow Road near the Scremerston end. I have very pleasant memories of trips down to Holy Island and Seahouses (great fish & chips). It was always good to visit Eyemouth and St Abbs Head.

Some of the Berwick congregation are still there but getting very old.

George

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

St Abbs head is beautiful - in fact I am looking at it now from my window. I wonder if you know the guy who called then? Told me he was 78, had lived in London as a child, then in Durham and now (I assume) up here. Had been a witness for 40 years.

• St George of England
    St George of England

No I don't know him, probably moved in after I left.

George

• sweet
    sweet

or people can just not open the door when jws come knocking....if people just hate the jws so much...

• carla
    carla

Good job!!

• littlebird
    littlebird

Loved it james!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit