Two questions: 1) what was the announcement about paperback Bibles and 2) what was the video posted earlier, I think it was something about blood - plus a third thing they mentioned in the meeting

by slimboyfat 37 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

St. George, they removed brackets in their Bible to save money on ink. Replacing "LORD" with Jehovah in the Greek scriptures caused a need for more letters and more ink. They had to make it up somewhere.

Okay, I am getting silly. Nevermind.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It seems that the physical quality of the littera-trash has dropped faster than the quality of Christmas light strands (and at least with Christmas strands, you have the option of buying professional sets). Paperback Bibles replacing those old hard-bound Bibles that used to have the bindings fail, calendars that are now microfiche and impossible to write anything important on in legible size, paperback books that now look completely tacky and wear out quickly, and DVDs that will not play in many players. What will they think of, Kingdumb malady CDs that deteriorate after 6 months?

All of which forces the witlesses to replace their products, wasting more Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund donations while keeping them from holding onto the old light when they change the light bulb again. And they keep making everything tackier--I thought the old color schemes of the littera-trash was tacky until I saw the new paperback crap. And, as this was in 1998-2000, I wonder how much worse they could have gotten since.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I believe the [brackets] were only ever in the large study edition. I know they aren't in any of my deluxe editions.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

undercover.....

I had forgotten all about the "love and greetings" from other congregations until reading this. Remember how the chairman would read "The brothers and sisters from Dumbass congregation in dumbfuck send their warm Christian love..." and all us goofballs would applaud... as if Jehovah's holy spirit was going to carry that applause to the other congregation so they'd appreciate our clapping for their stupid little love note.

Thanks for the flashback and a good laugh!!

• dozy
    dozy

When I had the announcements I used to refuse to read out the "we bring the love from the San Miguel congregation" (ie we want everyone to know that we are very spiritual & dragged ourselves off the beach and went to a meeting when we were in Torremolinos) style announcements - they were so boring.

Wonder whether the WTS is facing some sort of cash crunch - do they not perhaps think that 63% of congregations don't have ready cash reserves that they can "deposit" with the society. The WTS have published in their accounts that although they have to state a potential contingent liability of 50% of these funds , only 13% of these conditional deposits are ever reclaimed so it is very much a no brainer for them. Even though my (old) congregation has already deposited a lot of money under this scheme , the CO was pushing for more donations at the last visit (even though the congregation has a big building project coming up.)

The paperback bibles always were a disgrace. Deluxe bibles would last for 10 years or more - the paperback bibles were often scrapped after less than a year - so clearly some accountant has determined that it would be cheaper to reinstate the hard backed ones. Good move.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I believe the [brackets] were only ever in the large study edition. I know they aren't in any of my deluxe editions.

They are in the standard (B12 I think it's called) black hard cover Bible also. There is a note at the front explaining the purpose of brackets [] and double brackets [[]] for interpolations.

George

• Titus
    Titus

ENGLISH EDITIONS

DELUXE (DLbi25, leather)- There are [brackets], but there is no references nor footnotes

STANDARD (bi12, 2006 Printing) - There is no brackets anymore, but there are references. No footnotes also.

REFERENCE (Rbi8, all editions) - There are [brackets], references and footnotes.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

My bad. I checked my deluxe edition and sure enough the brackets are there. I was mistaken because I was using one of the customized versions where the reasoning book is bound in with the Bible, but of course, the Bible edition used to make these custom versions would be the standard version.

Never mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit