Two questions: 1) what was the announcement about paperback Bibles and 2) what was the video posted earlier, I think it was something about blood - plus a third thing they mentioned in the meeting

by slimboyfat 37 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

1) I am listening to the meeting on the phone right now. During the announcements they said there is a letter about paperback Bibles and if you want to know what it says you need to read it on the notice board. Does anyone know what that was about? I can't read it on the notice board because I'm not there! When did they stop actually reading letters out?

2) I was reading a thread earlier (about 6 hours ago) that had a youtube video on it. I was reading on my iPhone and it could not view this video for some reason. Now I am searching the forum on my PC and I can't find this thread anywhere. It sounded interesting. Two people said that they are not emotional types but the video was powerful. I think it was about a father shunning a child and it might have had something to do with blood, or maybe not I am not sure. Does anyone know where that is?

3) They read the letter at the meeting about congregations signing over their money to the Society. They mentioned that only 37% of congregations have taken up the arrangement so far, thought that was interesting.

• sir82
    sir82

On item 1, they've decided to stop printing the cheap flimsy paperback Bibles. Going back to hardbound now.

I imagine it offended their sensibilities to see ragged, dog-eared, ripped-up copies of the Bible in publishers' hands. Or maybe they were getting complaints from "worldly folks" about JWs showing up at their doors with ragged, ripped, dog-eared Bibles and they got embarrassed.

Don't know about the other 2 items.

• pirata
    pirata

1) The announcements got shortened to 5 minutes after they merged the Book Study with the TMS/SM. To accomodate the shorter time the WTS suggested not to announce cleaning schedules, public talk title, love and greetings brought from other congregations, etc. Most of that can be found on the bulletin board. Only the letters with specific instructions to read to the congregation need to be read, the rest can be announced and posted on the board.

• blondie
    blondie

That shuts out the homebound jws...what love!

I'm not surprised the flipflop back to hardbound bibles, I wonder though if they will still be the same quality of material?

• undercover
    undercover
    To accomodate the shorter time the WTS suggested not to announce cleaning schedules, public talk title, love and greetings brought from other congregations, etc.

Like wow, man. I had a dub flashback...

I had forgotten all about the "love and greetings" from other congregations until reading this. Remember how the chairman would read "The brothers and sisters from Dumbass congregation in dumbfuck send their warm Christian love..." and all us goofballs would applaud... as if Jehovah's holy spirit was going to carry that applause to the other congregation so they'd appreciate our clapping for their stupid little love note.

It's the little things that drive you crazy...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

No more paperback Bibles? They were a stupid idea anyway, even worse looking than cheap Books of Mormon. Like blondie I somehow suspect the hardcover Bibles will not be the same quality though. I stock piled up on deluze Bibles a few years ago. I have them put aside unopened. I reckon they will be worth a few bob one day, what with the relentless decline in the quality of WT publications. Can you still get deluxe Bibles at the moment? And what about the large reference Bibles?

• pirata
    pirata

Deluxe Bibles and Reference Bibles are still available as special order items. The softcover Bibles were mainly targetted for placement in the ministry.

• blondie
    blondie

UC, we were told by the COs that greetings were to be given on Sunday and preferably not then. But then some of the COs would bring greetings from the previous congregation.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I wonder if it occurred to them that these cheap paperback Bibles looked too much like the Book of Mormon.

• minimus
    minimus

Is THIS the longest thread question yet??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit