Studying my faith away

by the-illuminator81 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Essan
    Essan

Great post.

It's a scary but thrilling journey isn't it?

The truth will set you free, even if the truth is not what you once imagined it to be. :)

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

If you really listen to what they say and actually read the stuff eventually you have that moment of WHAT?

first my husband surprised the elder body with a don't want to be an elder anymore letter than people became suspicious we were called in about something we said we lied to them using theocratic warfare our own than we went to one more meeting and than we just stopped cold.

didn't answer the door or the phone. We did run into a few people accidently told them the truth as far as I know no annoucement has been made and nobody calls anymore and were moving 2000 miles away next month.

so everyone finds their own way out whatever you do we support you

• Essan
    Essan

What if I would just stop going and refused to speak, meet or phone with the elders? Wouldn't it be that easy?

It could if you strictly enforced it. But for that they would not have to hear any gossip about you questioning the Society. Elders are procedural creatures and procedure depends to some extent on people cooperating with the procedure. If you don't, they don't know what to do. They know how to handle vocal critics - there will be a little instruction is some booklet ("for scenario A. carry out response c") But if you give them a scenario they're not prepared for - absolute Silence - they may well just grumble, scratch their heads and walk away.

• undercover
    undercover

There are pros and cons to both fading and DAing.

Fading allows you to keep contact with JW family...or at least makes it easier. Even fading can be troublesome if you come from a die-hard dub family. But not being kicked out allows your family to think that you'll come around in time and they'll continue to associate with you and accept you as family, even if they're upset about your lack of faith. In time the religious aspect dies down and the family ties can remain fairly strong.

Fading is also not playing by their rules. You get to dictate how you leave, not them.

The downside is that you have to learn to keep your mouth shut about certain things around JW family and acquaintances (you don't have to worry about JW friends - they'll become more and more scarce). You will have to endure a certain amount of unfair treatment. JWs insist on their rights to this, that and the other but will not afford you those same rights/privileges. Depending on how outspoken you are, that can be a problem. You may not ever be able to openly take part in "worldly" things because it can bring unwanted attention back to you.

DAing brings finality to the situation. No more lying, no more pretending, no more biting your tongue. You can go out in a blaze of glory and let eveyone know on no uncertain terms exactly what you think of their cult and that you're not a party to their stupidity anymore.

If you're from a large JW family, that can be devastating to continued relations with them. Married couples break up over this stuff even. The main reason most people fade is family. If family is not a concern, DAing - or at least being openly apostate and not caring what they do - seems to be the favorite way of those without close family ties in the religion leave.

It all comes down to your exact situation and what you yourself are trying to attain. No one way is right for everyone, nor what we personally experienced means that you'll have the same results.

In the end, each one has to do what's right for him. I say there is no one correct way. Each of us is different, each of us is in a different family and each of us have different bodies of elders to deal with. (one indication that Holy Spirit isn't operating on this bunch is that no two elder's bodies act the same; some are vindictive - some are benign when it comes to dealing with outspoken doubters)

Whatever you decide, good luck on your journey to freedom...

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Thanks for your encouraging words everybody!

If you really listen to what they say and actually read the stuff eventually you have that moment of WHAT?

Nancy, this is exactly what happened to me. For example, I knew I did not have a good set of arguments to defend Noah's flood. While praying for Holy Spirit, I researched this topic and the only thing I found was that it could not possibly be true. I did not find any good arguments. There is no evidence at all.

At most only a few hundred of animals could be cared for in the Ark. So how could I deny evolution, stating that the 5-20 million species of earth were slowly evolving over hundreds of millions of years, but then preach that the same 5-20 million species evolved in only 4000 years from only a few hundred of animals? That just doesn't make any sense! And the watchtower library is totally silent on this issue.

Then I learned that the great pyramid of Gizeh existed BEFORE the flood, and that the Egyptian culture existed BEFORE the flood, and that many languages existed BEFORE the tower of babel. And after reading the skeptics' annotated bible, it is even stated in the BIBLE that there were languages before the tower of babel, and that the nephilim had SURVIVED the flood. WTF?

• pirata
    pirata

the-illuminator81, welcome to the forum!

Personal study is what started my journey too. I wanted to make the truth my own...

I would be really interested in learning more about the points you mentioned:"it is even stated in the BIBLE that there were languages before the tower of babel, and that the nephilim had SURVIVED the flood."

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

Undercover nailed it in his 2nd post. If I were you I would talk to your friends that got out, ask them what they did, what would they change, consider if their situation is different than yours with family, wife, ect. And never, never, NEVER put your thoughts or doubts in writing. Most will go straight to the elders, that is what they are programmed to do. Having written proof will get you DF"ed in a minuite.

Plan your course carefully, don't worry about celebrating your 29th birthday in a few months, instead think about celebrating your 30th birthday with your family, new friends, and hopefully some of your old friends that you helped see your new light.

• John Locke
    John Locke

At most only a few hundred of animals could be cared for in the Ark. So how could I deny evolution, stating that the 5-20 million species of earth were slowly evolving over hundreds of millions of years, but then preach that the same 5-20 million species evolved in only 4000 years from only a few hundred of animals?

Nice point, the-illuminator81. Well, this doesn't prove evolution theory, but it certainly undermined credibility of Great Flood Bible story.

Welcome to the forum.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Pirata:

Genesis 10:5

From these the population of the isles of the nations was spread about in their lands, each according to its tongue, according to their families, by their nations.

Genesis 10:20

These were the sons of Ham according to their families, according to their tongues, in their lands, by their nations.

Genesis 10:31

These were the sons of Shem according to their families, according to their tongues, in their lands, according to their nations.

Genesis 6:4

The Neph´i·lim proved to be in the earth in those days, and also after that, when the sons of the [true] God continued to have relations with the daughters of men and they bore sons to them, they were the mighty ones who were of old, the men of fame.

Numbers 13:33

And there we saw the Neph´i·lim, the sons of A´nak, who are from the Neph´i·lim; so that we became in our own eyes like grasshoppers, and the same way we became in their eyes.”

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Out at last: Probably good advice NOT to put it in writing.. I might not be able to trust my father. I will definitely inquire those two old friends and see what advice they have for me, one even from the same congregation, so he will know how the elders react.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit