How the TRINITY covers up the murder of Jehovah

by Terry 146 Replies latest watchtower bible

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Terry...

you said: "Giving people commandments which they cannot hear, see or accept (much less obey) is not the act of a benevolent lawgiver.

It is like extending credit to a poor person who desperately needs funds and then binding them with interest payments that will

make them forever indebted."...

how so?..and, why do YOU seperate the law from the statutes and ordainances?...these were ALL given to seperate the hebrews from the gentiles.

love michelle

• tec
    tec

The God you describe is pathetically inept, weak, incompetant as both a deity and parent. Like the weary and bedraggled mom with screaming kids touching what they should not at the grocery store! "Stop screaming and I'll buy you a candy bar."

I think He is patient, merciful, loving and forgiving. I think He knows a lot more about what we need and what will work than you or I could ever hope to know.

I think he is more like the mother who has given her children everything they need to survive and live well, and even though they ignore her and set out on their own time and time again, making mistakes, she always forgives them, she does what she can to set them on the right path again and again, and she keeps their rooms ready for when they return home.

Tammy

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Interesting reading folks !

The TRINITY is a scheme; a successful and inept bit of poetry cum philosophy literally ENFORCED upon semi-rational people hard enough for them to experience the outrageous cognitive dissonance of complete faith in the unexplainable!

Terry, I like your writings, you really should publish your own book, I'm sure it would become

a hot seller, especially so with the recent interest in atheistic thought thats out and about these days.

Perhaps the title of your first book might be " God in Man " a retrospective history

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

This idea has been out there for a while, though not expressed as colorfully.

I agree that Jehovah was abandoned in favor of a more balanced and time appropriate view of deity, just as yahweh replaced el in the world of the canaanites.

It doesn't happen up at the top of consciousness, as easy and as much fun as it is to consider today.

But the changes are all similar, and the reality on the ground is reflected in the belief, and vice versa:

Patriarchy/worship of male god replaces matriarchal society, and worship of the goddess; it is reflected in the changes in mythology through the millenia.

El is slowly replaced by yahweh, and the illusion of monotheism as retrojected back onto early israel hides the side by side existence of the 2, maybe even more than the 2 gods, in every day israelite life.

• Essan
    Essan

Terry: The TRINITY is a scheme; a successful and inept bit of poetry cum philosophy literally ENFORCED upon semi-rational people hard enough for them to experience the outrageous cognitive dissonance of complete faith in the unexplainable!

I don't think that can be substantiated, seeing as Trinities arose all over the world in very different cultures and often without any evidence of being enforced - therefore it doesn't necessarily follow that the Christian Trinity was enforced. It seems to arise fairly naturally and there may be all sorts of reasons for that.

Incidentally, I was raised as a JW and when I left I openmindedly gave the trinitarians a shot a explaining their position Scripturally. I was more impressed that I thought I would be and my eventual conclusion was the the NT is totally ambiguous on this matter and so both views are Scripturally 'justified'. If God exists and is responsible for writing the NT then clearly he doesn't really care whether people recognize the exact nature of his being or not, otherwise he'd have been much more clear.

The Trinity may simply be a reasonable response to Scriptural ambiguity and an attempt to harmonize apparently conflicting verses, made all the more easy by the fact that Trinities were a cultural norm among many peoples anyway and adopted precisely because it didn't require much forcing to be accepted.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

To me, just as art reflects life and culture, and then comes back around to influence it, deity is reimagined by each society and culture.

To the ancients, god was nature, all or part; gods of the wind, water, etc.

As time progressed, the idea of god was advanced to the idea of first among equals, then the head of all gods, then finally only one god, no other.

By the time of Jesus, deity was reimagined again, this time under the influence of the ethics of 2nd temple and post temple judaism, hellenic influences, zoroastrianism, and others. Modern christian belief was not solidified until the 4th century, especially the idea of original sin in the garden, courtesy of Augustine. It seems to me, the less educated the beliver, the more brutal and primitive the deity.

In our day, primitive cultures again imagine god as a god of war; not just islam, but fundamentalist christianity.

I am in the middle of Occidental Mythology, by Joseph Campbell; amazing.

• Terry
    Terry

I think he is more like the mother who has given her children everything they need to survive and live well, and even though they ignore her and set out on their own time and time again, making mistakes, she always forgives them, she does what she can to set them on the right path again and again, and she keeps their rooms ready for when they return home.

Well then, Tammy---here is a mother who Jehovah would really approve of:

Police Photo

Possibly the most horrific 911 call ever heard in the Ark-La-Tex area. (News Video and 911 Audio Below)

A Texas woman will spend her life in prison after slashing the throats of her children, just weeks before she tried to kill herself in front of them.

Debra Jeter lured her kids into an abandoned house and slit their throats, then listened to one of her kids beg for help while bleeding to death.

Just one day before one of her kids posted on their Facebook page: “I get to see my mom tomorrow! Yay!”

The next day she is dead, killed by her mother.

A nine-minute 9-1-1 tape released Wednesday begins with an eerily apathetic Debra Janelle Jeter. (911 link below)

“I just killed my children,” the 33-year-old told a Hill County dispatcher.

“Excuse me?” said the woman on the other end, with a tone of disbelief and shock.

Jeter, again, sounded blank when she repeated, “I just killed my children.”

Jeter was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison without parole after pleading guilty to charges of capital murder and attempted capital murder.

She is next heard on the tape asking the dispatcher to send an ambulance to save her then-13-year-old daughter, Kiersten.

Kiersten is heard faintly in the background of the call. Debra Jeter’s responses to her daughter indicate the teen was saying she needed help right away. But instead of tending to her daughter’s knife wounds, Jeter, a nursing student, told the dispatcher she was walking around the house.

“Hold on, baby,” Jeter tells her daughter.

“One of them is dead,” Jeter says on the tape, referring to 12-year-old Kelsey. “She’s dead, dead. But the other one wants to be saved. . . . She’s asking to be saved, and I couldn’t handle that. She’s bled out a lot. She might die.” "Hurry up are they coming?" , "Oh no she is dead, hurry up"

This June 6, 2009 photo provided by the Hill County, Texas, Sheriff's Office shows Debra Janelle Jeter of Hillsboro.

A plea agreement means life in prison without parole for the 33-year-old central Texas woman over the slashing death of one of her daughters and the wounding of the other.

Jeter pleaded guilty Tuesday May 26, 2010 to capital murder and attempted capital murder. Investigators say she and her husband were divorcing and it was her first time with the two girls under a custody agreement.

A plea agreement means life in prison without parole for a 33-year-old woman over the slashing death of one of her daughters and the wounding of the other.

Debra Janelle Jeter of Hillsboro pleaded guilty Tuesday to capital murder and attempted capital murder. Investigators say she and her husband were divorcing and it was her first time with the two girls under a custody agreement.

Jeter's 12-year-old daughter, Kelsey, died in last June's attack. Her now-14-year-old daughter, Kiersten, was critically hurt.

Jeter said she had a knife and gave her location at an abandoned house.

Jeter's Children

The 9-1-1 call ends with noises of sirens and Jeter matter-of-factly, but hurriedly, telling the dispatcher, “OK, they’re here now. Goodbye.”

HERE IS THE ACTUAL 911 CALL: 911 CALL HERE

• Terry
    Terry

Terry, I like your writings, you really should publish your own book, I'm sure it would become

a hot seller, especially so with the recent interest in atheistic thought thats out and about these days.

Perhaps the title of your first book might be " God in Man " a retrospective history

Personally, I'm not atheist. I think that whoever or whatever "god" is---is completely unfathomable, detached and imperious, indifferent and nothing man could relate to in any way.

Secondly, I've already written a book. (I Wept by the Gardens of Babylon) I've never assembled it into a finished form. I lost part of it right when I was all set to collate a number of years back. I had to search through various snippets I had here and there to recover it.

I doubt anything I'd have to say would make a dollar.

But, thank you for the kind thought.

• Terry
    Terry

Patriarchy/worship of male god replaces matriarchal society, and worship of the goddess; it is reflected in the changes in mythology through the millenia.

There is a huge trend toward female pastors!

This would have been unthinkable, intolerable and maybe even illegal in earlier times.

Everything changes as per society's need.

The rich, bible-thumping misogynist male pastors are outre'.

Now the time of the folksy, easy-going, practical wishy-washy feel-good pastor has arrived.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16860611

• Terry
    Terry
    Religion/Sect/
    Belief System
    Origins & History Adherents Worldwide (approx.) God(s) and Universe Human Situation and Life's PurposeAfterlifePracticesTextsMore Info
    AladuraVarious prophet-healing churches founded since c.1918, West Nigeria.1 millionGenerally monotheistic; a mix of Anglican, Pentecostal and traditional African beliefs.Strong emphasis on healing and salvation in this life through prayer, fasting and other rituals.Not emphasized; views vary.Spiritual healing is central. Mix of Anglican and African rituals; a prophet plays a prominent role.NoneReligionFacts article
    Asatru

Revival of Norse and Germanic paganism, 1970s Scandinavia and USA.unknownPolytheistic, Norse gods and goddesses, Norse creation myths.Salvation or redemption not emphasized. Fatalistic view of universe.Valhalla (heaven) for death in battle; Hel (peaceful place) for most; Hifhel (hell) for the very evil.Sacrifice of food or drink, toast to the gods, shamanism (less frequently), celebration of solstice holidays. Nine Noble Virtues is moral code.Eddas (Norse epics); the Havamal (proverbs attributed to Odin)ReligionFacts article
    AtheismAppears throughout history (including ancient Greek philosophy), but especially after the Enlightenment (19th cent).1.1 billion (this figure includes agnostic and non-religious, which tend to be grouped on surveys)There is no God or divine being. Beliefs about the universe usually based on latest scientific findings.Since there is no afterlife, this one life is of great importance. Only humans can help themselves and each other solve the world's problems.nonenoneInfluential works include those by Marx, Freud, Feuerbach, and Voltaire. Notable modern authors include Richard Dawkins and Carl Sagan.The Secular Web
    Baha'i Faith

Founded by Bahá'u'lláh, 1863, Tehran, Iran.5-7 millionOne God, who has revealed himself progressively through major world religions.The soul is eternal and essentially good. Purpose of life is to develop spiritually and draw closer to God.Soul separates from the body and begins a journey towards or away from God. Heaven and hell are states of being.Daily prayer, avoidance of intoxicants, scripture reading, hard work, education, work for social justice and equality.Writings of Bahá'u'lláh and other Bahá'í leadersReligionFacts section
    BönIndigenous religion of Tibet.100,000Nontheistic Buddhism, but meditation on peaceful and wrathful deities.Purpose is to gain enlightenment.Reincarnation until gain enlightenmentMeditation on mandalas and Tibetan deities, astrology, monastic life.Bonpo canonReligionFacts article
    Buddhism

Founded by Siddharta Gautama (the Buddha) in c. 520 BC, NE India.360 millionVaries: Theravada atheistic; Mahayana more polytheistic. Buddha taught nothing is permanent.Purpose is to avoid suffering and gain enlightenment and release from cycle of rebirth, or at least attain a better rebirth by gaining merit.Reincarnation (understood differently than in Hinduism, with no surviving soul) until gain enlightenmentMeditation, mantras, devotion to deities (in some sects), mandalas (Tibetan)Tripitaka (Pali Canon); Mahayana sutras like the Lotus Sutra; others.ReligionFacts section
    Religion/Sect/
    Belief System
    Origins & History Adherents Worldwide (approx.) God(s) and Universe Human Situation and Life's PurposeAfterlifePracticesTextsMore Info
    Cao Dai

Founded in 1926, Vietnam by Ngo Van Chieu and others based on a séance.4-6 millionGod represented by Divine Eye. Founders of Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Islam, and Christianity venerated, and saints including Victor Hugo.Goal is peace and harmony in each person and in the world. Salvation by "cultivating self and finding God in self."Reincarnation. Bad karma can lead to rebirth on a darker planet; good karma to better life on earth. Eventual attainment of nirvana or heaven.Hierarchy similar to Roman Catholicism. Daily prayer. Meditation. Communication with spirit world (now outlawed in Vietnam).Caodai canonReligionFacts article
    Chinese Religion

Indigenous folk religion of China.394 millionDualistic yin and yang; mythological beings and folk deities.Purpose is a favorable life and peaceful afterlife, attained through rituals and honoring of ancestors.Judgment, then reincarnation or temporary hell until gain a Buddhist-type paradise.Ancestor worship, prayer, longevity practices , divination, prophecy and astrology, feng shui.NoneReligionFacts section
    Chopra Center

Founded by Deepak Chopra in 1991, Californiaunknownmonism - God or Supreme Reality pervades all things; all is unityHumans have limitless potential, but do not recognize this. Health and success can be had by focusing on whole self (mind, body, spirit).ReincarnationYoga, meditation, massage, nutrition, mindfulness, detox sessions, positive thinking.Deepak Chopra's many books, such as the Seven Spiritual Laws of SuccessReligionFacts article
    Christianity (Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox)

Founded by Jesus Christ in c. 30 AD, Israel.2 billionOne God who is a Trinity of Father, Son, and Holy SpiritAll have sinned and are thereby separated from God. Salvation is through faith in Christ and, for some, sacraments and good works.Eternal heaven or hell (or temporary purgatory).Prayer, Bible study, baptism, Eucharist (Communion), church on Sundays, numerous holidays.The Bible
    (Old and New Testaments)
    ReligionFacts section
    Christian Science

Founded by Mary Baker Eddy in 1879, Massachusetts.150,000 - 400,000One God. No Trinity (in traditional sense). Matter and evil do not exist.Salvation is "Life, Truth, and Love understood and demonstrated as supreme over all; sin, sickness and death destroyed."Heaven is "not a locality, but a divine state of Mind in which all the manifestations of Mind are harmonious and immortal."Spiritual healing through prayer and knowledge, Sunday services, daily Bible and Science & Health reading.Christian Bible, Science & Health with Key to the ScripturesReligionFacts article
    Confucianism

Founded by Confucius (551–479 BC), China5-6 millionNot addressedPurpose of life is to fulfill one's role in society with propriety, honor, and loyalty.Not addressedHonesty, politeness, propriety, humaneness, perform correct role in society, loyalty to family, nationAnalectsReligionFacts article
    Religion/Sect/
    Belief System
    Deism

Thomas Paine
    Especially popularized in the 18th-cent. Enlightenment under Kant, Voltaire, Paine, Jefferson, and othersunknownOne Creator God who is uninterested in the world. Reason is basis for all knowledge.Not addressedNot addressedNone prescribed, although some deists practice prayer.Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason and similar textsWorld Union of Deists
    Druze

Druze star
    Al-Darazi in 11th century, Cairo, Egypt. Roots in the Isma'iliyya sect of Shia Islam.500,000Universal Intelligence (al-Aql al-Kulli) or Divine Essence (akin to Neoplatonism), of which al-Hakim is believed to be an incarnation.Live a good life for a favorable reincarnation. Await the re-appearance of al-Hakim (a Fatimid caliph who disappeared in 1021), who will usher in a Golden Age for true believers.Reincarnation. Heaven is a spiritual existence when one has escaped reincarnation. Hell is distance from God in lifetime after lifetime.Modest lifestyles, fasting before Eid al-Adha. Beliefs and practices are hidden for protection from persecution. Special group of initiates called uqqal.Al-Naqd al-Khafi (Copy of the Secret); Al-Juz'al-Awwal (Essence of the First)Lexicorient
    Eckankar

John Paul Twitchell in 1965, Las Vegas.50-500,000The Divine Spirit, called "ECK""Each of us is Soul, a spark of God sent to this world to gain spiritual experience." Salvation is liberation and God-realization.Reincarnation. The Soul is eternal by nature and on a spiritual journey. Liberation possible in a single lifetime.Spiritual Exercises of ECK: mantras, meditation, and dreams. These enable Soul travel and spiritual growth.Shariyat-Ki-Sugmad and books by Harold KlempReligionFacts article
    Epicureanism

Epicurus in c.300 BC, Athens.unknownA deistic sort of polytheism: the gods exist, but take no notice of humans.Materialism: everything is made of atoms, including gods and the soul.No afterlife. The soul dissolves when the body dies.Pursue the highest pleasures (friendship and tranquility) and avoid pain.Letters and Principal Doctrines of EpicurusReligionFacts article
    Falun Gong

Li Hongzhi in 1992 in China10 millionCountless gods and spiritual beings. Demonic aliens.The Falun (wheel) is an energy source located in the navel. Goal is spritual transcendence, achieved by practicing Falun Gong.Not addressedFive exercises to strengthen the Falun. Cultivation of truthfulness, benevolence and forbearance. Meat eating discouraged.Zhuan Falun and other writings by Master LiReligionFacts article
    Gnosticism

Various teachers including Valentinus, 1st-2nd cents. ADancient form extinct; small modern revival groupsThe supreme God is unknowable; the creator god is evil and matter is evil.Humans can return to the spiritual world through secret knowledge of the universe.Return to the spiritual world.Asceticism, celibacyGnostic scriptures including various Gospels and Acts attributed to apostles.Gnosis.org
    Greek Religion

Variety of religions of ancient Greeksancient form extinctOlympic pantheon (Zeus, etc.) mixed with eastern deities like Isis and CybeleHuman life is subject to the whim of the gods and to Fate; these can be controlled through sacrifice and divination.Beliefs varied from no afterlife to shadowy existence in the underworld to a paradise-like afterlife (mainly in mystery religions).Animal sacrifice, harvest offerings, festivals, games, processions, dance, plays, in honor of the gods. Secret initiations and rituals in mystery religions.Epic poems of Homer and Hesiod.ReligionFacts section
    Religion/Sect/
    Belief System
    Hare Krishna

Hare Krishna
    Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, 1966, USA (with roots in 15th-century Hindu movement)250,000-1 millionKrishna is the Supreme God.Salvation from this Age of Kali is by a return to Godhead, accomplished through Krishna-Consciousness.Reincarnation until unite with the Godhead.Chanting, dancing, evangelism, vegetarianism, temple worship, monastic-style living.The Bhagavad-Gita As It Is ReligionFacts article
    Hinduism

Indigenous religion of India as developed to present day.900 millionOne Supreme Reality (Brahman) manifested in many gods and goddessesHumans are in bondage to ignorance and illusion, but are able to escape. Purpose is to gain release from rebirth, or at least a better rebirth.Reincarnation until gain enlightenment.Yoga, meditation, worship (puja), devotion to a god or goddess, pilgrimage to holy cities, live according to one's dharma (purpose/ role).The Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, Ramayana, etc.ReligionFacts section
    Islam

Muhammad, 622 AD, Saudi Arabia1.3 billion (Sunni: 940 million)One God (Allah in Arabic)Humans must submit (islam) to the will of God to gain Paradise after death.Paradise or Hell.Five Pillars: Faith, Prayer, Alms, Pilgrimage, Fasting. Mosque services on Fridays. Ablutions before prayer. No alcohol or pork. Holidays related to the pilgrimage and fast of Ramadan.Qur'an (Scripture); Hadith (tradition)ReligionFacts section
    Jainism

Mahavira, c. 550 BC, eastern India4 millionThe universe is eternal; many gods exist. Gods, humans and all living things are classified in a complex hierarchy.The soul is uncreated and eternal and can attain perfect divinity. Purpose is to gain liberation from cycle of rebirth, by avoiding all bad karma, especially by causing no harm to any sentient being.Reincarnation until liberation.Monasticism under the Five Great Vows (Non-Violence, Truth, Celibacy, Non-Stealing, Non-Possessiveness); worship at temples and at home. Meditation and mantras.The teachings of Mahavira in various collections.ReligionFacts section
    Jehovah's Witnesses

Charles Taze Russell, 1879, Pittsburgh6.5 millionOne God, Jehovah. No Trinity - Christ is the first creation of God; the Holy Spirit is a force.Salvation is through faith in Christ and obeying Jehovah's laws. The End of the World is soon.Heaven for 144,000 chosen Witnesses, eternity on new earth for other Witnesses. All others annihilated. No hell.No blood transfusions, no celebration of holidays, no use of crosses or religious images. Baptism, Sunday service at Kingdom Hall, strong emphasis on evangelism.New World Translation of the ScripturesReligionFacts section
    Religion/Sect/
    Belief System
    Judaism

The religion of the Hebrews (c. 1300 BC), especially after the destruction of the Second Temple in 70 AD.14 millionOne God, Yahweh (YHVH).Obey God's commandments, live ethically. Focus is more on this life than the next.Not historically emphasized. Beliefs vary from no afterlife to shadowy existence to the World to Come (similar to heaven).Circumcision at birth, bar/bat mitzvah at adulthood. Synagogue services on Saturdays. No pork or other non-kosher foods. Holidays related to historical events.Bible (Tanakh), TalmudReligionFacts section
    Mayan Religion

c.250 AD (rise of the Mayan civilization)Historically, up to 2 million. Some survival today.Many gods, including Itzamná, Kukulcán, Bolon Tzacab, and ChacAppease and nourish the gods; determine luckiest dates for various activities.The soul journeys through dark and threatening underworld; but sacrificial victims and women who die in childbirth go to heaven.Astronomy, divination, human sacrifice, elaborate burial for royalty, worship in stone pyramid-templesDresden, Madrid, and Paris codices; Books of Chilam Balam; Popol Vuh; The Ritual of the BacabsReligionFacts article
    Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

Joseph Smith, 1830, New York, USA12.2 millionGod the Father, the Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three separate individual beingsHumans existed as spirits before this life, salvation is returning to God. Salvation by faith in Christ, good works, ordinances, and evangelism.All return to spirit world for period of instruction before resurrection. Mormons to heaven with God and families; others rewarded but not with God; hell for those who reject God after death.Abstinence from alcohol, tobacco, coffee and tea; baptism for the dead; eternal marriage; temple garments under daily clothes; active evangelism.Christian Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great PriceReligionFacts section
    Nation of Islam

Nation of Islam Flag
    Wallace Fard Muhammad, 1930, Detroit, USA

« The letters stand for "Justice, Equality, Freedom, Islam"
    Estimates range from 10,000 to 100,000"One God whose proper name is Allah." Wallace Fard Muhammad became the divine messiah and incarnation of Allah in 1930. The Earth is over 76 trillion years old and all land was once called "Asia.""The Blackman is the original man" (Message to the Blackman). Live righteously and worship Allah.Mental resurrection of the righteous. Black people will be mentally resurrected first.Prayer five times a day. Work for the equality of the African race. Respect laws of the land, don't carry arms, don't make war. Healthy living and abstinence from alcohol, smoking and substance abuse. Modest dress.Qur'an and "Scriptures of all the Prophets of God" are holy texts. Influential writings include Elijah Muhammad's Message to the Blackman in America (1965)Official Website
    New AgeHelena Petrovna Blavatsky and Annie Besant in the 19th C, Alice A. Bailey (1880-1949), flourished in 1970s and 80s5 million (very approximate)The Divine is an impersonal life force that pervades all thingsDawning of a New Age of heightened consciousness and international peace. Individuals can obtain a foretaste of the New Age through spiritual transformation ("Ascension"). More emphasis on the latter now. Evil comes from ignorance.Reincarnation based on karmaAstrology; mysticism; use of crystals; yoga; tarot readings; holistic medicine; psychic abilities; angelic communications; channeling; amulets; fortune-tellingWorks of a variety of New Age writersBeliefnet
    New Thought

Monad - New Thought
    Phineas Parkhurst Quimby (1802-66) and others, late 19th century, USA.160,000Generally monism (all is One), but members might be theists, pantheists or panentheists. God is immanent; the universe is essentially spiritual.Man is divine, essentially spirit, and has infinite possibility. Mind can control the body. Sin and sickness caused by incorrect thinking. Man can live in oneness with God in love, truth, peace, health, and prosperity."Life is eternal in the invisible kingdom of God."Emphasis on spiritual and mental healing, but without rejection of modern medicine. Worship services; prayer for the sick; discussion of New Thought authors and ideas.Writings of Quimby (such as the The Quimby Manuscripts) and other New Thought authorsReligionFacts article
    Religion/Sect/
    Belief System
    Rastafari

Teachings of Marcus Garvey (1920s, Jamaica) and coronation of Haile Selassie (1930, Ethiopia)1 millionGod is Jah, who became incarnate in Jesus (who was black) and Haile Selassie.Humans are temples of Jah. Salvation is primarily in this world and consists of liberation from oppression and return to Africa.Some Rastas will experience "everliving" (physical immortality). Heaven is a return to Eden, which is in Africa.Many practices based on Jewish biblical Law. Abstinence from most or all meat, artificial foods, and alcohol. Use of marijuana in religious rituals and for medicine. Wearing of dreadlocks.Holy Piby (the "Blackman's Bible). The Ethiopian epic Kebra Negast also revered.ReligionFacts article

Satanism, LaVeyan

inverted pentagram

The Church of Satan was founded in 1966 by Anton LaVeyThe Church of Satan doesn't make membership numbers publicAtheistic and/or agnosticNine Satanic StatementsN/ARituals, church meetings, questioning authorityThe Satanic BibleReligionFacts articles
    Scientology

L. Ron Hubbard, 1954, California70,000 or several million, depending on the sourceGod(s) not specified; reality explained in the Eight DynamicsHuman consists of body, mind and thetan; capable of great things.
    Gain spiritual freedom by ridding mind of engrams.
    ReincarnationAuditing, progressing up various levels until "clear". Focus on education and drug recovery programs.Writings of Hubbard, such as Dianetics and ScientologyReligionFacts section
    Seventh-day Adventists

Rooted in Millerite movement; founded 1863 in New England; early leaders: Ellen White, Hiram Edson and Joseph Bates10 million [source]One God who is a Trinity of Father, Son, and Holy SpiritSecond Coming of Christ is imminent; salvation is by faith in Christ; emphasis on quality of life both now and in afterlifeA "peaceful pause" after death until the coming of Christ, then resurrection to judgment, followed by eternity in heaven or nonexistence. No hell.Sabbath observance on Saturdays; healthful lifestyle; baptism by immersionChristian Bible; later prophets like Ellen White are inspired and authoritative when tested against ScripturesReligionFacts article
    Shinto

Indigenous religion of Japan.3-4 millionPolytheism based on the kami, ancient gods or spirits.Humans are pure by nature and can keep away evil through purification rituals and attain good things by calling on the kami.Death is bad and impure. Some humans become kami after death.Worship and offerings to kami at shrines and at home. Purification rituals.Important texts are Kojiki or 'Records of Ancient Matters' and Nihon-gi or 'Chronicles of Japan'ReligionFacts article
    Religion/Sect/ Belief System Origins & History Adherents Worldwide (approx.) God(s) and Universe Human Situation and Life's PurposeAfterlifePracticesTextsMore Info
    Sikhism

Guru Nanak, c. 1500 AD, Punjab, India.23 millionOne God (Ik Onkar, Nam)Overcome the self, align life with will of God, and become a "saint soldier," fighting for good.Reincarnation until resolve karma and merge with God.Prayer and meditation on God's name, services at temple (gurdwara), turban and five Ks. Balance work, worship, and charity. No monasticism or asceticism.Adi Granth (Sri Guru Granth Sahib)ReligionFacts section
    Spiritualism, a.k.a. SpiritismModern movement: c.1850, USA, UK, France11 millionBeliefs vary, but generally based in a Christian worldview.Body and spirit are separate entities. Morality and contact with spirits affect afterlife.A spiritual existence with access to the living. Condition depends on morality of life and advancement is possible.Sunday services. Seances and other communication with departed spirits. Spirit healing.No authoritative texts. Doctrine learned from spirit guides (advanced departed spirits).National Spiritualist Association of Churches
    StoicismZeno in c.313 BC, Athens.unknownPantheism: the logos pervades the universe.Purpose is happiness, achieved by virtue, i.e., living reasonably.Possible continued existence of the Soul, but not a personal existence.Ethical and philosophical training, self-reflection, careful judgment and inner calm.Fragments of founders plus later writers like Seneca, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius.ReligionFacts article
    Taoism

Lao-Tzu, c. 550 BC, China.20 million
    (394 million adherents of Chinese religion)
    Pantheism - the Tao pervades all. Yin-yang - opposites make up a unity.Purpose is inner harmony, peace, and longevity. Acheived by living in accordance with the Tao.Revert back to state of non-being, which is simply the other side of being.General attitude of detachment and non-struggle, "go with the flow" of the Tao. Tai-chi, acupuncture, and alchemy to help longevity.Tao Te Ching, Chuang-TzuReligionFacts section
    Unification Church

Unification Church Symbol
    Sun Myung Moon, 1954, South Korea.Over 1 million (3 million acc. to official sources)Monotheism, with the duality of God (esp. masculine and feminine) emphasized. No Trinity doctrine.Purpose is true love and world peace instead of selfish love. True love and the kingdom of God on earth will be restored by the creation of "true families."Eternal life in a spirit world.Blessing CeremonyThe Divine Principle (1954) by Rev. Moon.ReligionFacts article
    Unitarian Universalism

Formal merger of Unitarians and Universalists in 1961, USA.800,000Not specified. Members might believe in one God, many gods, or no God.Salvation is "spiritual health or wholeness." Members seek "inner and outer peace," insight, health, compassion and strength.Not specified. Some believe in an afterlife, some do not. Very few believe in hell - "Universalism" indicates the belief that all will be saved.Ceremonies for marriages, funerals, etc. Church services have elements from various religions. Emphasis on civil rights, social justice, equality and environment. Most UUs are anti-death penalty and pro-gay rights.Many sacred texts are revered by various members; some none at all. The Bible is the most commonly used text.ReligionFacts article
    Wicca

Based on ancient pagan beliefs, but modern form founded early 1900s. Founder generally said to be Gerald Gardner.1-3 millionPolytheism, centered on the Goddess and God, each in various forms; also a belief in a Supreme Being over all"If it harms none, do what you will."Reincarnation until reach the SummerlandPrayer, casting a circle, Drawing Down the Moon, reciting spells, dancing, singing, sharing cakes and wine or beerNo sacred text; foundational texts include The Witch Cult in Western Europe and The God of the WitchesReligionFacts article
    Zoroastrianism

Zoroaster in c.6th cent. BC, Persia. Official religion of ancient Persia. May have influenced Judaism and Vedic religion.c. 200,000One God, Ahura Mazda, but a dualistic worldview in which an evil spirit, Angra Mainyu, is almost as powerful.Humans are free to do good or evil, must choose the side of good.Judgement followed by heaven or hell. Hell is temporary until final purgation and return to Ahura Mazda.Good deeds, charity, equality, hard work.Zend Avesta ReligionFacts article
    Religion/Sect/
    Belief System
    Origins & History Adherents Worldwide (approx.) God(s) and Universe Human Situation and Life's PurposeAfterlifePracticesTextsMore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit