How brainwashed were you before you discovered the truth about the "truth"?

by asilentone 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• cantleave
    cantleave

100% - To the the point that I never felt that I was doing enough or that I always felt I had a poor attitude.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Yes very very brainwashed! I try to explain to friends the things I did for years, strained family relationships, fear of being shunned and they just look at me like I am nuts. The only way I can explain is that it was complete mind control. NMKA

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

99% I was so sure Armageddon (can you believe that after all these yeaers I finally learned how to spell that!) was right around the corner that I taught myself how to can food, make clothes, build a shed and build furniture (pre-1975).

The big question for me was how to get the raw materials to do all those things and figured I would be learning how to turn raw wool and cotton into fabric so I could make clothes - sew, knit and crochet. I thought we might have to do some scrounging for jars and canning equipment and I would let someone else get the wood.

We had one brother who had a stockroom full of food and supplies for the tribulation. We all thought he was not relying on Jehovah but I figured learning the skills was okay.

• Fractured~Mind
    Fractured~Mind

Hi and Thanx to all for the warm welcome I hope I get to meet and share some experiences with you...maybe even have some healthy debates hehe

I would like to add that while sometimes speaking about the organisation and growing up with them has had me emotional and at other times darn right angry. I in no way blame ALL Jehovah's Witness's... neither will I become Hate filled at them. At the end of the day whatever happens, those who have misguided, decieved, controlled, dominated, opressed,hurt will have to answer to God in the end.

I wonder if someone can help me, I'm having a bit of a blonde moment navigating this site lol ...I noticed under members some people have written a bit about themselves and added photos...how do I do this???

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I don't know how to add anything either... I was 100% in had passing thoughts that I always put out of my head (Satan's voice) telling me something is wrong. I was the "good" girl and did everything i could to make the congregation happy. After seeing blatent lack of love tword me it made me start to think and do research... When I realized it was wrong I never looked back. this month is my 2 years no meedings anniversery!!! Raised in baptized at 12 pioneered for 12 years and out or 2

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

I was a born-in, so consider me fully brainwashed. I didn't allow the WT to tell me which movies I could watch or what games I could play, but otherwise I pretty well thought they were looking out for me.

Boy was i surprised to find out what they actually had in mind...

• pubtruth
    pubtruth

I was also born into it, and believed 100%. Until I stopped letting myself be directed by some old coots, and did some thinking of my own. I still think they have some valid points, but their hatred of homosexuality really got to me. (I'm gay) Especially one of the talks in the 2009 District Assembly, the "elder" said "Would you smell vomit? Would you eat it? Obviously not. And thats the same stance we should have towards homosexuality!" I seriously wanted to run outside and bawl my eyes out..

By the way everyone, I'm new here. Hello!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Welcome Pudtruth! we are not prejudice here! lots of love

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome pubtruth & fractured-mind...I am the Granny on board.And usually after I post NO ONE ELSE does

• pubtruth
    pubtruth

I guess I'll be the exception! :-p

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit