How brainwashed were you before you discovered the truth about the "truth"?

by asilentone 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

During the first 6 months of studying, I thought it was absolutely the truth because I had nothing else to cross-reference it with. And the scumbag that got me into it in the first place would not take no for an answer (good thing he ran out of time before I got baptized, otherwise I would have had to pio-sneer). The idiot wanted me to waste Thanksgiving and Christmas at his dump, and I could not refuse without "celebrating" the holiday. He wanted me to throw away my music--backing down only when he saw that he broke the "speed limit" only to get the hounders to collude with him. He would not take a more moderate amount of field circus from me--he tried to get me out from morning to evening every day, and then working evenings.

The beginning of the end was when he told me that he wanted me to move into the apartment complex he was going to be managing. The bait was $5 lower rent (of course, the apartment I was in was furnished and this was not, which was more than $5 difference). At which point, I started seeing through his mini-cult and told him that it would not make up for the increased time in traveling to and from work, the bad neighborhood, or that it would be a complete waste of my time to move again only 7 months after I moved to the place I was in. Needless to say, I also missed out on him going through my record collection thoroughly, having him intrude at all hours of the day and night to make sure I am doing what he tells me, and being forced to pio-sneer.

Later, I realized that it was ridiculous that Jehovah would count people as wicked that could have done more but did a sustainable amount. Needing only 4 hours of sleep--why were we designed to need 8 and required to get by on 4? Being happiest just above the poverty level--it made no sense. And what was so wicked about putting a string of Christmas lights on the front porch for people to enjoy? Ultimately, I was just doing things so I would not get hounded by the hounders; later, I realized that I would be better off out of the cancer whether or not it was the truth. At that point, I decided to start blowing off boasting sessions in such a way as to waste their time. And it made it much easier to go onto my first apostate web site on purpose and to actually analyze objectively what they had to say.

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

I think that 'captive of a concept' is what captured me and my family. 1969 was the year we were captured. The Truth That leads to Eternal Life, otherwise know as the truth book , the blue bomb, that was used to capture millions of us.

Learning and believing that God had a Faithful and Discreet Slave, guiding an organization into a New World Order with Eternal Life in view captured the mind heart and soul. Here was relief from all our maladies.

All you had to do was obey the organization, follow them, trust them and they would lead you through the destruction to soon come upon this earth.

Soon, near, nearer than you think, 1975 etc. 33 years later, the chains of captivity were broken

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

I was brought up in the religion from the age of 6 until I was in my mid-20's.

I was completely brainwashed that it was the 'truth'. I chose my association carefully, altered my television viewing, music, video games in line with what the organisation had stated and would not drink or go to nightclubs.

Then I started seeing what others in the org were doing and getting away with - especially the younger ones who had Dad's as Elders. They seemed to do what they liked - excessive drinking, nightclubbing, plenty of worldly associates, swearing, basically all the things we were not supposed to do. These individuals were often pioneers and would go out on a Saturday night, getting drunk yet would be at the meeting Sunday answering up in the Watchtower.

I think the Paedophile scandal was the first thing which seriously rocked my faith. I couldn't believe that these things could happen in 'Jehovahs organisation' yet it could not be ignored or excused - it was happening and it was true.

I have detailed here before about the state of my marriage to a JW. I had a catalogue of lies told about me by my ex-wife and her JW family after I decided to leave the faith. I was branded a 'wife beater' and was blocked from seeing my daughter for nearly 12 months. Eventually all allegations were dropped. My Mother wrote to the Bethel regarding the individuals in question - nothing was done.

I am 30 now and I'm glad to have been out of it for over 5 years. 3+ years on I am remarried to a 'worldly girl' and couldn't be happier. I have a 10 month old son too who I adore. I also have a fantastic relationship with my daughter.

I have since researched the WTBTS in depth. It is not the 'truth' - fact.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

100%

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

I came in as a young adult. My parents begged and pleaded with me not too do this. But those studying with me told me to expect this and that my parents were pawns of Satan trying to keep me from worshipping the true God. I believed this lock, stock, and barrel. Got baptized, raised my children in this, and am now trapped inside until I can hopefully get them out someday.

My mom loved the holidays. But I deprived her of ever having the pleasure of celebrating those special times with her grandchildren. I kept my emotional distance, after all, she was 'worldly'. I didn't wake up until after both my parents had died, so I never had the chance to tell them how sorry I am for what I put them through and what I took away from them. I still cry every time I think about it.

• Hadit
    Hadit

Welcome to the forum Fractured-Mind! You are in the right place. As you can see we've all been messed up to some extent being a part of this org. This is a good place to vent and talk to others who have similar stories. It can start the healing process.

I wish you all the best.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Walk tall That was very sad ....But we dont know their hearts God does,You may be able to explain even now ((((HUG

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

Thanks Mouthy. I hope so.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

If you discovered the truth about the truth it implies that you believed it was the truth thats why you discovered the truth about it. Sorry buddy but this question answers itself.

The answer will always have to be 100%.

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

100% at times less at others....strange days i'm very happy to be normal whatever that is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit