How brainwashed were you before you discovered the truth about the "truth"?

by asilentone 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome, pubtruth.

Glad you have found us.

• broops100
    broops100

Believed it 100% - Took everything they said in hook, line & sinker....

I never thought for one moment they would ever lie to us because if they did then Jehovah would come down on them like a ton of bricks so I believed everything.

There was a period of time though when my mother-in-law was saying that because of so much wrong doing within the congregation & with the way that the elders were reacting that the Spirit had been removed from the congregation !!! I have to admit thinking about this statement now that it really is a strange one .. I mean what is that all about ? How can Gods Spirit be removed from a Congregation ????

Thinking sensibly, it clearly was never there ! lol

• Balsam
    Balsam

I applied what I felt was reasonable 90% of the time. The shunning baloney was never good and I did occasionally buck against it if it felt extreme. I didn't apply everything 100%. I let my kids play with neighborhood kids and they had friends from school. Thankfully my liberal thinking helped both my son's to leave it when I finally left.

• STILLINWANTOUT
    STILLINWANTOUT

I was one and a half foot in , half a foot out. I DID ALOT of what I wasn't suppose to. My final straw was when they wanted to influence who I dated and had the nerve to tll me that I wasn't suppose to talk to my co-workers and should only play kingdom melodies to pass the time ( the are dreadfully boring) and this was after I told them I worked in my FAMILy's business.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

100 % committed, like so many of us...

I was an elder and doing something every night and weekends , so busy that I had long stopped thinking about the real reasons for doing it, but "This was the Truth" I believed - so I carried on, and on ...Eventually I woke up, when the best years of my life had passed by..

BTW..Welcome to all the newbies and nearly newbies on this thread - Glad to have you.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

First

100%

then

99%

then

92%

then

88%

then

75%