Change in meeting attendance procedure - can't figure out why though

by sir82 68 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Overthinking, maybe.

It just seems so odd.

It is completely effortless to gather useful information: How many people leave half-way through a meeting? A rational organization would want to know that, I would think.

Why make a special effort to announce the elimination of a procedure no one complained about, a change that will provide even less information?

One thought occurs to me: Are they considering trimming down the meetings even further? Maybe eliminate the public talk all together?

Sounds far-fetched, but I would have had the same reaction to the idea of eliminating in-home book studies 5 years ago.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Probably because the guy who took attendance for second meeting being the tower and the service meeting is checking out at half time just like we used to. NMKA

• JWoods
    JWoods

Just as a side point - do mainstream churches or catholics take count of their services? I don't remember seeing them do this - the "show church TV televangalists" do, I believe.

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

I didn't understand what is going to change.Can someone explain it in a few words please?

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

xPeter...I think Sir82 stated it quite simply in the begining; go back and read the start of the thread, I think it will be clear to you then.

• sir82
    sir82
    Can someone explain it in a few words please?

Attendance will be counted once per [meeting night] or [meeting morning], instead of twice like it is now.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Just as a side point - do mainstream churches or catholics take count of their services?

I've never seen this happen at a non-JW religious gathering, which includes several denominations, and religions.

BTS

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

The new attendance counting is very odd. More simplification in progress I guess.

• flipper
    flipper

SIR 82- Interesting thread. O.K. Here is my take after analyzing your thread as you presented it.

I feel the WT society is becoming INCREASINGLY alarmed & concerned with how many JW's are missing what they consider the " important " meetings which gives the GB a pulse on how each congregation is doing. By not taking attendance figures at Public Talks ( which would give an inflated number including interested ones ) they are trying to get a estimate of how many JW's are attending the more mainline INDOCTRINATION meetings like early in the WT study. They want to see how many JW's leave after the Public Talk and don't attend the WT studies. Same with the Book study- they are trying to find out how many are REGULARLY attending these indoctrination meetings and how regular normal JW's are.

I think it shows the WT society is MORE concerned right now with keeping what they DO have and they are worried about witnesses lagging attendance. Shows they aren't AS concerned with interested new ones as we thought. The GB is sweating about JW's leaving the cult. In my opinion this is what I think it may show. Just my 2 cents

• blondie
    blondie

I know a brother who privately counts how many people are there from that particular congregation not visitors from another. Most times 60% are from other congregations...he says it switches when they have afternoon meetings.

My husband said he was told to count people who came in the last minute of the PT and people who showed up for the last minute of the WT study. He had to count sleeping babies and adults...BTW they counted df'd people too. He asked once if he should count babies in the womb since the WTS had parents read the bible to them....but some brothers just don't have a sense of humor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit