Generation teaching - conversation I just had with my dad.

by cult classic 31 Replies latest forum suggestions

• cult classic
    cult classic

5th gen - thanx i'm reading your thread now.

NVL - most in my family thought the 1995 change "made sense"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Fred Franz is grinning from ear-to-ear in his grave on how these guys are attempting to come up with stuff like his 1975 stuff with the magic "7000-years-long creative days" with absolutely no scriptural backing.

You could watch the DVD with Dad as I understand it don't clear up nothing.

• peacedog
    peacedog

"It can't be too far off now"

Freakin unbelievable.......

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

"Cult Classic I really wish you would have stayed. The speaker brought out some deep stuff. He said that the generation teaching is being misunderstood. Only those who were Franz's contemporaries, alive when he was around, anointed when he was alive on earth, are a part of the generation. Not all of the new GB members are considered a part of "that generation". So CC, this generation does have a shelf life and the proof will be in the pudding. It can't be too far off now."

What? Which new GB members were anointed after 1992 when Fred Franz died?

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

I think with this change, the GB have got the normal witnesses to a place where the prevailing attitude is "I don't care about this prophecy stuff, I don't care about the date, it's God's organisation and I'll do what I have to".

I hear an increasing number of people saying "I don't serve with a date in mind, it's still the best way to live".

I think the generation change has made people reach flip-flop saturation point. I mean 4 changes in 15 years! At this juncture they could say "this generation' evidently refers to a tribe of giants living underground in mongolia & people would just shrug.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I hear an increasing number of people saying "I don't serve with a date in mind, it's still the best way to live".

Same here. I think some work on a response to "it's still the best way to live" argument is in order. JWs, especially born-ins and converts who left a rough, poverty-stricken worldly lifestyle, see the only alternative to being a Dub as debauchery and hatefulness. I know that for me personally, seeing the love, kindness, and charity of "worldly" people following tragic events was a significant eye-opener.

• cult classic
    cult classic

OTWO - that's a good idea to watch video with them and try to steer them to some logical conclusion.

peacedog - yeah tell me about it. I was almost speechless.

MS - from 5th gen's thread last month someone said Geoff Jackson was. That would be one crazy conversation, all the "anointed" sitting around discussing the date they were anointed and where they fit into the prophecy. Such bullcrap.

Sapphy - LOL. I agree with you. It's very wearisome for them.

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

This just shows that in many cases it will be something that affects some people personally rather than doctrine. Thats what I am setting my hopes on as regards my family that are still in, I threw everything at them there wasn't anything that i didn't cover but still a 'blank'

Some experiences i've read here are keeping me going. Something we just don't expect will wake them up.

I get some very down days and feel the pain and am reminded my family hate me. But just keep living in hope they will love me again one day.

Love RosePetal

• cult classic
    cult classic

RosePetal - I understand how you feel. Best wishes.

• garyneal
    garyneal

People in other religions believe their way of life is the best way to live also.

I think some work on a response to "it's still the best way to live" argument is in order. JWs, especially born-ins and converts who left a rough, poverty-stricken worldly lifestyle, see the only alternative to being a Dub as debauchery and hatefulness.

That basically describes my mother-in-law as she grew up in a family where many of them would drink and some of them would do things to young girls and of course they were poverty stricten. I remember her telling me that she did not want to be a part of that and it made me realize why she likes the witnesses so much. She converted and drug a lot of her family into the cult (including her husband and kids).

But her story, deep down, is not that much different than mine. I remember too growing up how my family would get into things I did not feel was good and how we grew up in poverty. I remember thinking that christian people were a higher caliber of people and I wanted to be a part of it. It took time but I came to realize that they were no different or better than anyone else. I'm just thankful that I never got involved with the witnesses back when I was searching for God and church.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit