More Society cutbacks - Society says "screw you" to the publishers yet again

by sir82 113 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

Well, our "assembly hall" always changes from building to building. Sometimes we gather way out in McAlester (2 hour drive) or it could be Enid (2 1/2 hour drive). Either way ... it'll be no picnic.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe there are no Assembly Halls in Alabama, either.

Syl

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I'm being serious. Assemblies and conventions are held in rented auditoriums and collesiums in Mississippi.

I recall once, in the early 90's that there was talk of having an assembly in Alabama, at a bonafide WT-owned assembly hall. What happened? The idea was shot down. Why? Because the Society would charge $8 per publisher to use the facility, and this was TOO MUCH money.

This is a dirt poor state and renting a facility is cheaper than maintaining an assembly hall.

(The median household income here is $37,818 and perhaps slightly less for many of our window washers and janitors. We also have a 7% sales tax on food. There is no extra money.)

• snowbird
    snowbird

Correction: There is one (1) here.

1414 2nd Avenue North
    Bessemer, AL 35020-5607
    (205) 424-8181

I wonder how that's going to work.

LOL.

Syl

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Of course if you get into a wreck hauling the literature, they won't pay for it, we should all know the answer to this by now, you use your personal vehicle, it's your personal insurance that will cover your ass.

Unless you are employed by the Society, they won't cover shit that happens to you!

• I quit!
    I quit!

Good point Onemore. In this age litigation it could be a pretty dumb idea. But then again the Watchtower excels in dumb ideas.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I was wrong. The are NO ASSEMBLY HALLS in Oklahoma. The closest one is in DENTON, TEXAS!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    funny how there making the JW's think that times are so bad now and the end is sooooo sooooo soooo near that they have to start cutting things back....

Good one peaches...when the end was so, soooo VERY close decades ago, publishers were encouraged to sell up etc and put 100% into preaching work (you know, the poor families that lost everything). You'd think, if they believed their own words, they'd sell up all their lovely treasures on Earth (instead of trying to grasp more) and subsidise the R&F to preach till the VERY IMMINENT end.

• Gayle
    Gayle

The Watchtower Society took a big lawsuit hit (a million and a half?), when a Bethelite was delivering literature to the Hall, when he hit and killed a woman.

Of course, that was a Bethelite. I am sure the organization has figured out not to have any liability with regular JWs doing their magazine "drug" runs now.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I recall several years ago they started shipping to AHs and asking local congos to pick up the orders. But, it was voluntary and only for congos within a certain radius. So, are they now making it mandatory? The SM I attend is Thurs so I'll be curious if that letter is read here or if it was something local.

PS - I know there was a "brief" elders meeting after the Sunday meeting this week to discuss "letters regarding circuit business". I haven't heard what that was about so maybe this is it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit