Fried Green Tomato recipe... anyone?

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I've searched Watchtower library, but couldn't find a recipe for fried green tomatoes. I would call Bethel for theocratic direction on how to scripturally fry these green tomatoes I have, but the switchboard doesn't open until tomorrow. I want to fry these greenies today.

Since this website is called "Jehovahs-Witness.net", I'm hoping that someone here would have the "true", and theocratically approved, recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes. I realize that as an "ex-Bethelite", y'all usually look to me for such "truths" that would be provided by "mother". But this time, I'm at a loss. While the "Faithful Slave Class" has provided a recipe in the 12/8/2001 Awake! for the approved method of cooking huitlacoche, otherwise known as corn smut, I couldn't find an Awake! recipe for green tomatoes. Or is eating green tomatoes against our religion. Aren't tomatoes poisonous and pagan, or something? Anyway. Before I start looking through Studies in the Scriptures for CT Russell's "Miracle Tomatoes" recipes, I thought I would check with our spiritual giants here on the forum.

Thanks!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oh sounds yummy! Where's Sylvia!

• StAnn
    StAnn

Billy, I'm so sorry, but my recipe isn't Bethel approved. Just mix equal parts corn meal and flour, add salt and pepper to taste. Beat a couple of eggs. Dip the slices of green tomato in the eggs. Most important part: after removing from the eggs, sprinkle both sides liberally with hot sauce. Then dredge in flour mixture. Cook in cast iron skillet with a couple of tablespoons of hot oil until browned, turn and cook other side till browned. Don't cook too fast or it will be browned on the outside before it's cooked all the way through.

My bottle of hot sauce has a picture of a little devil on it, so be careful that this recipe doesn't bring demons into your home.

Cheers,

St. Ann

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm hungry!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

My recipe is the same as slyvia's...but i have to have my blue smurf sitting on top the stove!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

When I fry green tomatoes, I always add more flower than cornmeal. Just a bit of cornmeal, don't over do.

Add garlic powder and a little bit of seasoned salt like Lowery's to the flower along with a bit of salt and pepper.

Whisk eggs and a little milk, just a little milk, together in a bowl. Dip the tomatoes in the egg mixture. Then coat them thoroughly with the flower/cornmeal mix.

I use peanut oil if I have it. Make sure the oil is hot enough. Fry the tomatoes until they are golden brown and crisp. Lay them on layers of paper towels and blot the top sides with paper towels as well. We serve them with White or sawmill gravy. They are also good with ranch dip or try other dips. Yummy.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Ughh, I'm soo full right now.

Thanks for the recipes! The cognitive dissonance that I learned as a JW enabled me to follow both StAnn's and FHN's recipes exactly, at the same time! As instructed, I used flour and corn flake crumbs (since I was out of cornmeal, after all "607BCE"="586BCE" just like cornmeal=corn flake crumbs). And I threw into the dredge some other spices that were in the cupboard (just like the NWT adds "Jehovah" frequently and randomly to the New Testment). To the whisked eggs, I neutrally added milk and tobasco (I added them "neutrally" because JWs are non-political, so it would be sinful to add milk 'conservatively' and use tobasco 'liberally'). After wet baptizing in egg mixture, dry baptizing in the dredge, and fry baptizing in the skillet, I declared them "very good".

It's been years since I had fried green tomatoes. They're not my favorite food, but we've got tons of them this time of year. I ate them with dip, as FHN suggested. As I was filling up I got a crazy idea. These fried green tomatoes reminded me of fried eggplant. I think I'll try it with tomato gravy (pasta sauce) and cheese next time. Just consider me a crazy bachelor.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Wow FHN, I love the recipe. My neighbor has a patch of tomato plants and he says I can have a few if I want. I love fried green tomatoes with pork chops and greens.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I love fried green tomatoes but my recipe is unfortunately the apostate one. You have to slice the tomatoes and then rub them all over a couple naked girls before you fry them!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Josie, thank you. I love green tomatoes cooked that way.

Here is a gravy recipe and you can make this with sausage pan drippings and some crumbled brown sausage in it, too.

I add garlic powder to my white gravy, just a little.

EASY WHITE GRAVY

4 tbsp. butter
    4 tbsp. flour
    Salt
    Pepper
    2 1/2 c. milk

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, salt and pepper; cook until smooth and bubbly. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling on medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir and boil 1 minute. Makes enough gravy for 1 can biscuits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit