Fried Green Tomato recipe... anyone?

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Billy is funny. I think I love his avatar the best of any on JWN, past or present. It cheers me up everytime I see it.

• snowbird
    snowbird

FHN, thanks for that bit of information.

Syl

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You are welcome, Sylvia. You don't even have to use cornmeal, it depends on what you're cooking, but a little is good. In fried chicken, a little bit of cornmeal with your flour will give the skin a KFC texture and look. Remember butter buds? Mixing some of that kind of product into fried chicken flouring will make it taste very good, too. My mom used to mix in sesame seeds.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I always use cornmeal, along with powdered buttermilk, for coating whatever I'm to fry.

Gives a delightful crunch.

I haven't seen Butter Buds in a while.

Syl - who still fries some things, even against Dr's orders.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Syl, how long does powdered buttermilk last? Shelf life, I mean, and if you reconstitute it, is it as thick as "real" buttermilk?

• snowbird
    snowbird

This is what I use - it lasts and lasts. Of course, I use it directly from the canister. Syl

• Gregor
    Gregor

We use Olive oil for everything we cook, except frying anything deeper than a pan coating. Doesn't hold up well above 300 degrees. Ideal fry temp is 350 for just about anything. Make sure you don't "overwhelm" your hot oil with too much product at a time. It will knock down the temp and the food will absorb the oil before it is browned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit