Have your JW Relatives Explained about Generation/Overlap Change to You ?

by flipper 269 Replies latest jw friends

• Essan
    Essan

As I thought DJ, you couldn't answer the questions of Mad Dawg or Ultimate. And, as usual, you still took more than 5 lines to NOT give an answer.

Grow up! You're fooling nobody. You're making a spectacle of yourself and of the Society's teachings. (So, thanks. ) You waffle on endlessly, saying nothing, evading questions and all with the smug air of someone who actually thinks they are getting away with it. Frankly, it's an insult to our intelligence. Therefore, yes, I do intend to call a 'spade and spade' and point out your ridiculous behaviour. If you don't like it, you don't have to respond. See that as "name-calling" if you like. I call it clear perception and plain speaking.

I have news for you, a debate isn't won or lost based on who adopted the most self-righteous mock-piety it's based on who can provide sound, logical responses to the pertinent questions. This you consistently fail to do. I might have some respect for you if you just bothered to give straight answers to the plain questions you are asked instead of indulging in the worst kind of evasive and clumsy bull****ing usually employed by corrupt politicians.

Still, I suppose it is a useful showcase for the sincere questioning JW's of the Watchtower Loyalist's mentality and tactics.

• caliber
    caliber

"give straight answers to the plain questions you are asked "

I guess this is a learned tactic Essan.. that of evasion ... Ask a JW "will only JW's survive Armageddon ? "

The simple answer would be Yes ! But the more evasive and pleasing answer given is .. We don't know how far reaching the good news will be , who will yet respond and millions of dead ones will be resurrected.

• flipper
    flipper

DJEGGNOG- Carry on with your redundant replies. I won't waste my breath and arguments on you. I don't have the time to waste in arguing with you. It bores me. You don't acknowledge the points I make- so why bother ? I have more important things to do.

CALIBER- Good to see you back posting on the board here buddy ! Long time, no see, how are you doing ? PM me. Haven't talked in ages !

CARLA- " Walk with those who seek truth, run from those who say they have found it. " Good statement, I like it too.

ULTIMATE REALITY- I know you were asking Eggnog- but no, I can't offer ANY scriptural proof there are two fulfillments of prophecy.

MAD DAWG- Yeah, there is no such thing as a "double fulfillment " of prophecy. Not in my book. Can't be proven.

ESSAN- Eggnog is cult mind controlled and programmed not to give a straight answer by the WT society. It's why he cannot supply a reasonable answer.

GERARD- Funny illustration ! But very true and applicable. Good job

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Ya know, I think I am beginning to see TRIPLE fulfillment of certain prophecies!

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

DJEggNogg: Is this you or did you steal this guy's identity? just wondering.

http://www.myspace.com/djeggnog/photos

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@MadDawg:

You didn't answer my question. Interpretive theory is the method one uses to interpret the Scriptures. As for doing research, I have done much research on the Scriptures and have never come across a mention of a double fulfillment - except in WT literature, but they never give a basis for it.

But I did answer your question. It is because you do not wish to "seek out one of Jehovah's Witnesses to arrange for a home Bible study or do some research" that you here claim that I didn't answer your question. So although I did answer it, you didn't like my answer and so you say, "You didn't answer my question." Got it!

As to the matter of what you call "interpretive theory," what you describe as being "the method one uses to interpret the Scriptures," I cannot comment since you would be totally mistaken to believe that I use "interpretive theory" to interpret the Scriptures. Perhaps, in doing your own research independent of Jehovah's Witnesses, the reason you have never come across mention of a double fulfillment "except in WT literature" is because the true followers of Jesus Christ have been blessed by the Father, Jehovah God, with a knowledge of the Bible that others simply do not possess, for God has hidden the meaning of these things "from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to babes." (Matthew 11:25)

The basis upon which what things Jehovah's Witnesses teach is based is, of course, the Bible, but clearly the fact that the world may have a copy of the Bible isn't enough, for they read it without understanding, without spiritual comprehension, since the Bible is a book that was written by Jehovah's Witnesses for Jehovah's Witnesses. No, Jehovah's Witnesses do not use "interpretive theory," which sounds to me like it might be defined as "the science of guessing at stuff that you have no clue as to what it means," but what things we teach is also based on God's holy spirit, or as Jesus refers to it at John 16:13, "the spirit of the truth ... [that guides us] into all the truth."

There's something at Acts 8:27-35 that does parallel the experience of many former Jehovah's Witnesses today, many of whom still retain copies of their NWTs, some of them still having in their possession the WT Library on CD that has become for them an object of veneration, a "god," as it were, that they really think will help them to deal with those of us that continue to be Jehovah's Witnesses and give them a "leg-up" when twisting what things they read among the main articles that have been published over the years by the WTS in an attempt to use our uninspired writings as proof that we aren't God's servants, as is our claim, but servants of men, servants of a cult, servants of the WTS and of the governing body. I didn't lose my thought here, but I'm going to digress here a moment.

In this thread, @caliber posted something from the 1939 book, Salvation, about Beth-Sarim, which I recognized right away as being an attack against the WTS and its possible misuse of the many financial contributions that our benefactors, including Jehovah's Witnesses, make toward the worldwide preaching work back in 1929, based on the unfounded notion of some that certain Jehovah's Witnesses, especially members of the governing body like J.F. Rutherford in 1929, were using these financial contributions to buy lavish homes and to support a materialistic lifestyle while the "rank and file" -- this is how certain folks refer to those of us in the local congregations that do not work at the WTS -- are living their lives in virtual squalor! He didn't ask me a question though, and when I asked him if he had intended to ask me a question, he wrote in response:

You want a question (I thought you could reason on my statements without needing a question.. you are simply used to the Wt system of question ..answer... why can't you pick up my points without a question ?? you are not at a Watchtower study !!here !!

Now I've never been a clairvoyant and I have never claimed to be such either here or elsewhere, so I thought it was a stupid thing for @caliber to have said to me when he said that he thought I could "reason on [his] statements without needing a question," when the statements that he had quoted in his post were not his statements at all, but were statement lifted verbatim from the Salvation book. Even the OP (@flipper) joined @caliber's cynicism about the WTS with this statement:

Jehovah's Witnesses and the WT society lie about it because they want to dupe, deceive and take advantage of JW members to keep them hooked into the game by contributing $$$$ to the WT society. They coerce older members to donate estates, wills, inheritances, cars, jewlery and possessions so as to contribute to a multimillion $$$$ yearly WT society income.

I know that I am not running some confidence "game" on any unsuspecting person, so I can say in my own defense that if anyone among Jehovah's Witnesses -- and this would include the WTS and the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses -- that Jehovah is big enough to handle such matters if such should really be taking place in His organization, and that as far as the Head of the Christian congregation is concerned, all Jehovah's Witnesses are the "rank and file" members of the Lord Jesus Christ. I have said here that I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses that studies the Bible with other Jehovah's Witnesses, but I also study the Bible with dedicated persons that were baptized in symbol of their dedication to please their parents or grandparents, or to please one of the elders, who may have been engaged at the time of someone's baptism in a contest with an elder in some other congregation, hoping to best the "offering" of the other congregation over the number of baptismal candidates to be baptized at the next assembly or convention.

The Christian ministry is a very serious business, and servants of God should not be becoming lax in it, so that they end up taking their ministry lightly and putting people's standing before God in jeopardy, which is why Paul stated that "those who are taking the lead ... [are] those who will render an account" for what things they do. (Hebrews 13:17)

Now if folks are being baptized that really don't know what it is their dedication involves, it's a problem for them and it's a problem for the elders that are absorbed in the sacrifice, in making an offering of new Christian disciples, when one of the things a disciple should learn is that God prepared a body for Jesus because "sacrifice and offering [He] did not want." (Hebrews 10:5) In response to a statement from a scribe that "loving [Jehovah] with one's whole heart and with one's whole understanding and with one's whole strength and this loving one's neighbor as oneself is worth far more than all the whole burnt offerings and sacrifices," Jesus told the man, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." (Mark 12:32-34)

As many here know quite well from their own experiences, Jehovah's Witnesses will root out those among us that "cause divisions and occasions for stumbling," who "by smooth talk and complimentary speech ... seduce the hearts of guileless ones," including congregation elders, for Jesus has given us clear instructions in this regard. (Romans 16:17, 18)

Now it was clear to me as I was reading both @caliber's and @flipper's posts that they hate Jehovah and Jesus, in whose house they were permitted to dwell because Jehovah's servants cleaned them up and issued to each of them white robes in acknowledgment of their dedication to God so that they, for a time, were able to enter the courtyards here in the earthly realm of God's spiritual temple along with other dedicated worshippers of Jehovah God. All Christians are expected to be "fine stewards" in proportion to the spiritual gift of God's undeserved kindness as expressed in various ways, which gift they received so that they might minister to the needs of others, especially to those in God's household, but Jehovah's Witnesses can be too trusting of fellow stewards and sometimes to their own injury. (1 Peter 4:10; Galatians 6:10)

At 2 Peter 2:1-3, the apostle Peter spoke of those that would "quietly bring in destructive sects," who will even disown the Lord Jesus Christ, and how many of the brothers would "follow their acts of loose conduct," so that "on account of these the way of the truth will be spoken of abusively." Peter even makes the point that some would exploit their brothers "with counterfeit words." I don't know and do not say that either @caliber's or @flipper's posts here fit the category of apostatizing fellow stewards entrusted by Jesus to spread the message of the kingdom to all who would hear it, but I do say that their posts here on this forum are disappointing since by their "counterfeit words," they are disowning their owner as they teach things they ought not, things that they were not commissioned to teach, which cause "the way of the truth [to] ... be spoken of abusively." (Titus 1:11)

To get back to my point, you say that "except in WT literature," Jehovah's Witnesses never give a basis for "double fulfillment" of a Bible prophecy, but you're mistaken, @MadDawg. You say that you've "done much research on the Scriptures," but you cannot be referring to any research you did using the many Bible study aids that are now available in the current WT Library. Above I mentioned before the digression that there's something at Acts 8:27-35 that parallels the experience of many former Jehovah's Witnesses today, and I'm sure you've read this account at least once or twice in the past, but this Jewish proselyte was a religious man, too, in that he was in the truth, and being that he had converted to Judaism, he was one of Jehovah's Witnesses (Isaiah 43:10), a member of the congregation of God as were the Jews, who had "gone to Jerusalem to worship."

Now this man -- an Ethiopian eunuch -- had been reading Isaiah 53:7, 8, but he was unable to understand what he had been reading, for when Philip the evangelizer asked the man, "Do you actually know what you are reading?" he responded, "Really, how could I ever do so, unless someone guided me?" He then went on to ask Philip, "About whom does the prophet say this? About himself or about some other man?" Beginning with Isaiah 53:7, 8, Philip began to declare to the man the good news about Jesus.

I say this to make the point that without a bona fide preacher to guide folks into an understanding of the Bible, "how, in turn, will they hear" as the apostle Paul put it at Romans 10:14, 15? This man needed a preacher to explain to him that Isaiah was referring prophetically to the Lord Jesus Christ. Indeed, how will there be preachers unless there be taught ones "sent forth," those that call on the one in whom they put faith that they might publish to others things about the one "of whom they have not heard"? Many of Jehovah's Witnesses do not know what things the Bible teaches because their research is typically confined to surface knowledge, so that they may have been in the truth for 20 years or longer, but never "come to an accurate knowledge of truth." (2 Timothy 3:7)

They memorize many Scriptures and thus are able to recall them by rote, and, like you, @MadDawg, they know many of the things that Jehovah's Witnesses believe, and can even take you to the specific book or magazine article where a particular point is made, but they do not really know the truth. A few here have specifically asked about the minor and major fulfillment of Matthew 24:34, but Jehovah's Witnesses have our own terminology, and "interpretive theory" isn't ours. In my reply to @Ultimate Reality just yesterday, I pointed out to him that 1 Corinthians 10:6-11 is prophetic in nature, but I decided not to elaborate at that time.

Jesus stated that "there is nothing carefully concealed that will not be revealed, and [nothing] secret that will not become known (Luke 12:2), and making known the sacred secrets of God is exactly what Jehovah's Witnesses endeavor to do, but no one can make anyone read their Bible, to engage in personal study, to do research on the things they do not quite understand. Often when you cannot find the answer to a question, you need to ask someone that is more experienced than you are in the congregation to help you, even if the person from whom you seek help is not an elder or may be an elderly sister.

As I pointed out earlier, all Jehovah's Witnesses are stewards of God's word entrusted to spread the message of the kingdom to all who will listen. Not all elders are as knowledgeable as many of the sisters in the congregation, and some of the brothers that have been a part of the congregations for ten years or more are more knowledgeable than the local elders, but are barred from ever being appointed to serve as such because they may have conspired to divorce their former wife on unscriptural grounds, knowing that they would be disfellowshipped, in order to marry someone else in the congregation or from some other congregation.

Yes, sometimes brothers do make some rather serious mistakes, and the children from both marriages do tend to give the congregation a reminder of someone's sins foremost, but just because you may not have been able to find the answer to one or more of your questions does not mean that Jehovah's Witnesses never give the basis for "double fulfillment" of a Bible prophecy. Someone (I believe it was @Simon Morley and @caliber) asked me about "prophetic predictions," but like I stated above about "interpretive theory," Jehovah's Witnesses have our own terminology, and when we refer to prophetic types, prophetic parallels and prophetic elements, calling them prophetic patterns.

You indicated in your post that you have no recollection of studying about such things when you were regularly studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses in congregational meetings, such as during the many Watchtower studies you attended, but you should have learned that a type represents something that will come to pass in the future, whereas an antitype is the reality of what the type represents. The type is the "shadow;" whereas the antitype is the reality.

The Law had "a shadow of the good things to come" (Hebrews 10:1), as it foreshadowed things that pertained to the Christ, the priesthood was "a typical representation and a shadow of the heavenly things" (Hebrews 8:5) and festivals, sabbaths and the like were just types, whereas the antitypes represented the reality, which "belongs to the Christ." (Colossians 2:16, 17) It is a fact that as long as one remains in the faith, 'more will be given to him or her,' but if anyone should leave God's organization, for any reason, 'what he or she has will be taken away.' This is exactly what Jesus stated at Mark 4:25: "For he that has will have more given to him; but he that does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him."

There are prophecies in the Bible that have a minor fulfillment (that is, reality on a small scale) or partial fulfillment; and a major fulfillment (that is, reality on a full scale) for a complete or final fulfillment. Matthew 24:21 and Matthew 24:34 have both a minor and a major fulfillment. The prophecy at Isaiah 40:3-11 has a typical fulfillment in 537 BC, a minor fulfillment in 33 AD and a major fulfillment in 1919. The key to Bible prophecy is this: (1) The prophet must speak Jehovah's name; (2) the prophecy itself must encourage those hearing it turn to Jehovah (in true worship); and (3) the prophecy must have had a typical or a minor fulfillment. FYI, there is an article in the Watchtower [w94 2/15 "What Will be the Sign of Your Presence?"] that lists four indicia proving that Jesus' prophecy in Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 was not limiting his prophecy to the tribulation that occurred in 70 AD.

As it provides the foundation for [your] belief (without it you have no 1914), I am surprised that JW's are unable answer the question. When JW's come to my door, they won't answer my questions. Why should I spend hours in a book study with them if they won't answer my questions?

Not all Jehovah's Witnesses know the answers to every question that someone might put to them. That is why it's up to us 'to keep on asking, keep on seeking, and keep on knocking,' just as you are doing here, if you wish to obtain answers to your questions. (Matthew 7:7) But whenever I should respond to one post, I may not necessarily respond to all of them in the same way since this is a forum. Often I will react and not respond to a post by not posting a response to it because I do not wish by my response to convey anger that I'm not really feeling, although if I do feel indignant over a comment that someone has made and I fear my response would be misconstrued as anger (when my motive for responding to someone's post is rooted in love and is never based on anger), I just won't respond at that time.

@Ultimate Reality:

I am not making an interpretive claim and therefore I do not need to provide evidence to support my claim.

I believe you do. I do not know to what you are referring.

The Society's prophetic assertions require evidence if we are to believe them.

This sounds like a double standard. It might not be, but based on what you just said in the previous sentence about your not needing to provide evidence to support your claim, I think the same thing must be true in this case if you don't need to provide any evidence. I do have evidence, but I'm just saying that this last sentence, which follows your previous one, is suspect.

For a specific example, how do we know that Matthew 24 has a secondary, larger fulfillment? That's a particularly important chapter since it contains the 'generation'.

You might want to read the Watchtower article (w94 2/15 "What Will be the Sign of Your Presence?"), which I referenced in my response to @MadDawg (above).

The concept that we take certain prophetic verses and make them have a 19th, 20th, or 21st century secondary application is based on human speculation.

If you're here telling me of the existence of such a "concept" that is based on human speculation, I can accept that, but you cannot be talking to me here about prophetic types (shadows) or prophetic antitypes (realities) that exist in the Bible.

If you do not understand these issues and neither do most of Jehovah's Witnesses, then why do you believe the claim? Do you even know the origin of this interpretive method? Origins are important -- just like the origins of Christmas!

I am a walking encyclopedia of knowledge and, as such, I have not clueless as are so many that have once upon a time studied the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses. You are asking me here about the origin of an "interpretive method" that you yourself brought up in referring to an "interpretive theory aka Parallel Dispensations. Whatever this "method" or "theory" is, I have no interest in learning its origin, so you're going to need to ask someone else. And what does any of this have to do with Christmas? Answer: Nothing!

Don't feel bad about not answering. I do know the answers and I have done a little more than just 'study' with Jehovah's Witnesses.

If you know the answers to your own questions, then why ask them of me? It's like you drove your car into my car repair facility and instructed me to change the thermostat in your car because your car keeps overheating, instead of asking me to run a diagnostic on your car in order to determine why it keeps overheating.

Now if you believe you know your car is overheating because of a bad thermostat and you want to save money on having a diagnostic test performed on your car, because you think such to be unnecessary, ok, but if your car should continue to overheat after the thermostat has been replaced, don't come back to me complaining about how your car is still overheating when you didn't ask me to run a diagnostic on your car in order to determine why it is overheating!

If you've done a little more than just study with Jehovah's Witnesses, I hope what "little more" you did proves to be helpful to you in your endeavor, whatever that endeavor is. But if what "little more" you did beyond studying with us is so that you might gain eternal life, you must come to Jesus; there's no other name under heaven by which we must get saved. (Acts 4:12) As Jesus said, "You are searching the Scriptures, because you think that by means of them you will have everlasting life; and these are the very ones that bear witness about me. And yet you do not want to come to me that you may have life." (John 5:39, 40)

@djeggnog

• bohm
    bohm

Djeggnog - you talk and talk but say nothing.

But i do congratulate you that it seem you have changed your mind; the previous thread you was certain jesus would kill babies with a sword; now you wrap it up so noone understand what you believe. Good on you!

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

Here we have the source of DG's problem:

"...Parallel Dispensations . Whatever this "method" or "theory" is, I have no interest in learning its origin, so you're going to need to ask someone else."

Parallel Dispensations form the foundation for the prophetic Biblical interpretation of Jehovah's Witnesses. Without understanding this or its origins (see Studies in the Scriptures) you do not know the very premise upon which the Society has interpreted the Bible. Further, you do not know if that premise is flawed and you do not know how 130 years of using this method has resulted in consistent interpretive failures.

These failures include the interpretation of the 'generation'.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Eggnoggin, telling someone to look it up is not an answer. Daddy, why is the grass green? Go look it up. Doctor, how do I cure this ear ache? Go look it up. Or, are you telling me it is “because the WatchTower said so”? Perhaps, the reason I have not found any mention of a double fulfillment is because there is none.

THERE IS A REASON I DON’T ASK FOR A STUDY! They won’t answer my questions either!! For all the time I have spent with them, all I get is the same non answers that you give. It is not about liking or not liking the answer – there is no answer. Perhaps, that is why you are dodging the question – there is no answer.

For someone who claims to be a “walking encyclopedia of knowledge” you don’t know much. An interpretive theory is a METHOD! Get it? A method, by which we understand the Scriptures. What method do you use? To say you have no interpretive theory, is to say that you don’t study or understand the Scriptures.

You are saying that I can’t understand anything from the Scriptures without the WTS help? How do I know I need their help? They said so! BTW, Phillip spent, what, maybe a couple of hours with the eunuch? After that the eunuch never saw Phillip again. Phillip got him started and left him alone. That is a far cry from controlling everything he thinks.

As near as I can tell, the WTS answer is this:

· How do I know that there is a double fulfillment? The WTS said so.

· How do I know that the WTS society got it right? They are God’s sole channel of information.

· How do I know they are God’s sole channel? They predicted 1914.

· How did they get 1914? Double fulfillment.

· Rinse and repeat.

I can agree with you on this one point: NO ONE would come to the WTS’s conclusions by simply reading the Bible.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@bohm:

you talk and talk but say nothing.

Perhaps what you need is someone to translate what things I write here. One may need to at least have a high school diploma to comprehend what I write, I don't know, but I avoid academic-speak because I want folks with ordinary, average intellect to understand what I am saying, and, while not speaking to folks on an academic level, I also do my best to avoid coming off as if I'm talking down to someone because I might well be rightly accused of doing just that from time to time. Perhaps by my use of so many words in a single post, the process of thinking and reasoning becomes a bit overwhelming so that your perception of me is that I'm talking, but saying nothing. Who knows why it is you don't understand me? I don't pretend to know why.

But i do congratulate you that it seem you have changed your mind; the previous thread you was certain jesus would kill babies with a sword; now you wrap it up so [no one] understand what you believe. Good on you!

How exactly did I change my mind? How much "smoke" can you blow? Let's see the portion of the post that you read of mine where you came to this conclusion that "[I] have changed [my] mind." I want to read that post. Can you find it and post it here? Or should I expect more "smoke" from you?

@Ultimate Reality wrote:

If you do not understand these issues and neither do most of Jehovah's Witnesses, then why do you believe the claim? Do you even know the origin of this interpretive method? Origins are important -- just like the origins of Christmas!

@djeggnog wrote:

I am a walking encyclopedia of knowledge and, as such, I have not clueless as are so many that have once upon a time studied the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses. You are asking me here about the origin of an "interpretive method" that you yourself brought up in referring to an "interpretive theory aka Parallel Dispensations. Whatever this "method" or "theory" is, I have no interest in learning its origin, so you're going to need to ask someone else. And what does any of this have to do with Christmas? Answer: Nothing!

@Ultimate Reality wrote:

Parallel Dispensations form the foundation for the prophetic Biblical interpretation of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Says who? I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and I don't agree with this statement.

Without understanding this or its origins (see Studies in the Scriptures) you do not know the very premise upon which the Society has interpreted the Bible.

No one can read Studies in the Scriptures to learn anything at all about the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses today. I do not say that the first six volumes penned by Russell and the seventh one penned by Rutherford do not contain in them many of the things that Jehovah's Witnesses believe today, but what I do say is that there have been many adjustments over the years since Studies in the Scriptures were published and Jehovah's Witnesses today do not defend any of the things they might say from which teachings we have distanced ourselves since, in our "making sure of all things," we have abandoned former teachings that we came to realize over the years were in error.

If you want to pigeonhole Jehovah's Witnesses to make what things the WTS, under Russell and Rutherford, published pre-1916 and in 1917, which things the Bible Students taught for a time following their release, then, I say, go ahead, but I also say to you -- to build on the earlier analogy I made in this thread to Pluto -- for you to do this would be tantamount to attempting to force a school science teacher post-2006 to defend Pluto's being a planet when the notion is indefensible post-2006 due to the change of definition given based on the IAU vote on August 24, 2006, which held that Pluto is not a planet!

For that science teacher to be mounting such a defense of Pluto being a planet would make sense before the IAU vote since on February 18, 1930, some 80 years ago, the world had adopted Tombaugh's discovery and had accepted Pluto as a planet, but it would be just as foolish today -- in 2010 -- for any science teacher to be attempting to mount a defense for Pluto's being a planet when this is no longer the prevailing belief today as it would be for Jehovah's Witnesses today to be attempting to mount a defense for some of the things that the Bible Students believed during the stints of Russell and Rutherford as president of the WTS when some of what they believed are no longer among the prevailing beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses today.

Further, you do not know if that premise is flawed and you do not know how 130 years of using this method has resulted in consistent interpretive failures.

This I know: Jehovah's Witnesses do not subscribe to interpretive theory in how we read and understand the Bible. I am not going to argue with you that you cannot believe differently than Jehovah's Witnesses do on this point. I respect your right to disagree with me on this particular issue.

These failures include the interpretation of the 'generation'.

I am aware of no "failures" regarding the understanding of Jehovah's Witnesses regarding what Jesus meant when he used the words "this generation" at Matthew 24:34. Since the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses are not static, but progressive, whatever may have been the prevailing understanding of Jehovah's Witnesses pre-2010 regarding the meaning of the word "generation" as used at Matthew 24:34, we have abandoned what we have determined to have been error and now have a different understanding of what this "generation" to which Jesus referred at Matthew 24:34 is.

@Mad Dawg:

Eggnoggin, telling someone to look it up is not an answer. Daddy, why is the grass green? Go look it up. Doctor, how do I cure this ear ache? Go look it up.

Did I really say to you, "Look it up"? I believe one of the things I did say is that "a bona fide preacher" is needed if one is to guided into an understanding of the Bible and I quoted Romans 10:14, 15, and Acts 8:27-35 in support of this point. I also believe I said this: That it is often the case that when one cannot find the answer to a question, "you need to ask someone that is more experienced than you are in the congregation to help you, even if the person from whom you seek help is not an elder or may be an elderly sister." Of course, you can check, but I was just quoting here what I had already stated to you in my previous post. Maybe you didn't catch either of these two points, but my goal was to get these two points across.

Or, are you telling me it is "because the WatchTower said so"? Perhaps, the reason I have not found any mention of a double fulfillment is because there is none.

You had also indicated that you didn't recall having studied types and antitypes with Jehovah's Witnesses, although I believe prophetic patterns are often discussed in our publications at congregational meetings, but I do not doubt you when you say that you never learned about such, no doubt when you say that no one had ever explained to you that meaning of the Bible expressions, "a shadow of the good things to come" or how certain things we read in the Bible "foreshadowed" things that relate to Jesus Christ.

Now what I did say to you in my post though -- and I'm quoting from my last post, was that "it's up to us ''to keep on asking, keep on seeking, and keep on knocking,' just as you are doing here, if you wish to obtain answers to your questions. (Matthew 7:7)"

THERE IS A REASON I DON’T ASK FOR A STUDY! They won’t answer my questions either!! For all the time I have spent with them, all I get is the same non answers that you give. It is not about liking or not liking the answer – there is no answer. Perhaps, that is why you are dodging the question – there is no answer.

Did I dodge your questions? Any of them? What questions in particular did I dodge of yours? I don't believe I'm guilty of dodging any of your questions. If you believe I did, then answer this question so the record can be set straight between you and I:

Which question of yours did I dodge for which you would like an answer?

For someone who claims to be a "walking encyclopedia of knowledge" you don’t know much. An interpretive theory is a METHOD! Get it? A method, by which we understand the Scriptures. What method do you use? To say you have no interpretive theory, is to say that you don’t study or understand the Scriptures.

I don't agree with any "interpretive theory" as a method for understanding the Bible. I don't say that you cannot believe such a "method" to exist for understanding the Scriptures, but does it work? I submit to you that if such a method actually worked, that you and I wouldn't be having this conversation, that you would not be telling me how have been getting non-answers from Jehovah's Witnesses as to how we are able to recognize the minor or major fulfillment of a Bible prophecy, for you would have already ascertained those answers you seek using this "interpretive theory" method.

Now it's certainly possible that you know more than I do on many diverse topics, and you may think my knowledge on this particular topic to be nil, but without holy spirit and my laying a proper foundation for you to understand what the spirit is saying, I don't believe I'll have very much success in explaining to you what things I know about the prophetic patterns that the Bible uses. (John 16:12)

You are saying that I can’t understand anything from the Scriptures without the WTS help?

Yes, this is what I'm saying to you. A lot of people today have a copy of the Bible, but no other people on Planet Earth that have the truth but Jehovah's Witnesses.

How do I know I need their help? They said so!

No. You know because there is no one else that can explain these things that perplex you, but Jehovah's Witnesses.

BTW, Phillip spent, what, maybe a couple of hours with the eunuch? After that the eunuch never saw Phillip again. Phillip got him started and left him alone. That is a far cry from controlling everything he thinks.

I don't want you to stumble over this, but whether you like it or not, only Jesus has sayings of everlasting life and Jehovah's Witnesses is the channel of communication that God is using today to proclaim the truth about the kingdom of God. You can always go off on your own, but you would be mistaken to believe that this eunuch went off by himself to form his own sect of Christianity and that, in addition to the Christian churches by means of which the first century AD governing body provided oversight, this man likewise became another channel of communication that God also used during at this same time.

You don't know that Phillip never saw the eunuch again; you're speculating and the basis for your speculation is suspect considering the fact that we read at Acts 16:5 that "the congregations continued to be made firm in the faith and to increase in number from day to day," and at Acts 19:20, that "in a mighty way the word of Jehovah kept growing and prevailing." Do you think you're right and the Bible is wrong?

As near as I can tell, the WTS answer is this:

[1] How do I know that there is a double fulfillment? The WTS said so.

[2] How do I know that the WTS society [sic] got it right? They are God’s sole channel of information.

[3] How do I know they are God’s sole channel? They predicted 1914.

[4] How did they get 1914? Double fulfillment.

[5] Rinse and repeat.

[1] What do you mean by "double fulfillment"? A double fulfillment of what exactly? Jehovah's Witnesses don't teach anything about any double fulfillment.

[2] The reason you give here is not the reason you can know that the WTS "got it right" at all. The WTS is not God's sole channel of communication. Jehovah's Witnesses are God's sole channel of communication, and, more specifically, Jesus' anointed congregation -- the faithful and discreet slave -- that is God's sole channel of communication. Jehovah's Witnesses, who are of the "other sheep," and are associates of the "faithful slave," are a part of this same channel.

[3] Jehovah's Witnesses did not predict 1914 and I want to try to set the record straight about Charles Russell's alleged prediction that the end of the world would occur in 1914, since this is just not true.

This year -- 1914 -- was calculated as being 2,520 years following the beginning of the Gentile times, which began in the year 607 BC, and so, in the year 1914, the Gentile times would come to an end, thus being the year when the Lord Jesus Christ would have the right to begin ruling as king 'in the midst of his enemies.' (Psalm 110:2) Pastor Russell had from 1876, for almost 40 years, preached 1914 as a marked year, but he never made any predictions as to what would occur at that time. In addition, Russell preached that the invisible return (or "presence") of Jesus Christ would occur in 1914.

As proof that he didn't regard 1914 as being the end of the world or Armageddon as many people have been persuaded to impugn his reputation for championing Bible truth, Russell produce the Photo-Drama of Creation at the cost of $300,000 in order to spread Bible knowledge to the masses of people during and after 1914. Contrary to what many folks say about Russell's beliefs, he believed 1914 to be the beginning of the end of the world and not the end of the world or Armaggedon. Russell simply did not predict anything about 1914, nor did Jehovah's Witnesses, but let me continue on here with my response to this other point you make questioning whether we are God’s sole channel of communication.

In the past, Jehovah has used His angels to communicate His will to Noah, to Abraham, to Isaac, to Jacob, to Joseph, and then through His prophet, Moses. After Moses and Joshua, there were the judges that Jehovah raised up, and then came a long line of prophets, beginning with Samuel, who had formerly served as a judge, until finally Jesus Christ, the greatest prophet of all time became God's channel of communication, came on the scene. Before I forget, I need to point out to you that Jesus, as a prophet of God, became God's channel of communication, and Jesus, in turn, commissioned his disciples to become God's collective channel of communication. That God's channel would be organizational in scope is clear from what Jesus says to his apostles at Matthew 18:18:

Truly I say to you men, Whatever things you may bind on earth will be things bound in heaven, and whatever things you may loose on earth will be things loosed in heaven.

The words "you men" denote how, after Christ, Jehovah's channel of communication would be a single organization of preachers/prophets serving as God's collective channel. Quoting the prophet Joel, the apostle Peter explains at Acts 2:17, 18, that the outpouring of God's spirit on those 120 disciples of Jesus' at Pentecost during "the last days" of the Jewish system of things was in fulfillment of Joel's prophecy at Joel 2:28, 29, and that as to those empowered by God's spirit "in those days, ... they will prophesy." At this time progressive details concerning the kingdom of God came to be revealed through these Christian prophets of God.

Now Jehovah had foreknown that it would take time for Christians to adjust to the newly-revealed truths that were being revealed since Jesus himself had many an occasion to correct many of the wrong viewpoints that had been taught and disseminated by the religious leaders at that time, but it has been during "the last days" of this system of things that many wrong viewpoints began to corrected progressively during the 20th century, with adjustments continuing to be made in our 21st century. However, it has only been "through the congregation [that] the greatly diversified wisdom of God" has been made known. (Ephesians 3:10)

[4] What "double fulfillment"? I'll say again, that the year 1914 was calculated by Russell as being 2,520 years after the Gentile times began with the removal of Zedekiah from Jehovah's throne and the destruction of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar in the year 607 BC. Thus the Gentile times would end 2,520 years after 607 BC, or in the year 1914.

[5] ?

I can agree with you on this one point: NO ONE would come to the WTS’s conclusions by simply reading the Bible.

Well, at least we do agree on something. <g>

@djeggnog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit