Sola Scriptura

by dieselman 106 Replies latest watchtower bible

• teel
    teel
    If you think you are better than the Ethiopian then go ahead and come to your own understanding.

Is the GB better than the ethiopian? If not, who teaches them to interpret the Bible? You say Holy Spirit? Right, and who did Jesus promis the Holy Spirit to? Why do you think the HS would help a handful of men come to a correct understanding, and the vast majority of the people just have to rely on those to interpret the Bible for them? Is that not a following of men in fact?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

That verse from acts is probably not a good one to justify the view that you need SOMEONE to teach what the bible says:

Philip and the Ethiopian

26 Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” 27 So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian a eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians. This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship, 28 and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the book of Isaiah the prophet. 29 The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.”

30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked.

31 “How can I,” he said, “unless someone explains it to me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

32 The eunuch was reading this passage of Scripture:

“He was led like a sheep to the slaughter,

and as a lamb before the shearer is silent,

so he did not open his mouth.

33 In his humiliation he was deprived of justice.

Who can speak of his descendants?

For his life was taken from the earth.” b

34 The eunuch asked Philip, “Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?” 35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. Why shouldn’t I be baptized?” c 38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. 40 Philip, however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about, preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Caesarea.

What we see is thatan angel told Philip go go to this road, the SPIRIT then told Philip to walk alon side the Eunach and when Philip noticed him reading Isiah, Philip asked if he understood ( the prophecy) and the Eunach said he didn't because he had no one to teach him ( about the prophecy) and WHO it applied to ( Isiah or someone else), Philip then explains that it is about Jesus and speaks to the Eunach about Jesus, the Eunach then, obviouslytouched by the HS, accpetes Jesus and at the moment, is Baptized. Right after that Philip is "wisked" away to Azotous and the Eunuch went on his way rejoicing.

The lesson is NOY that SCRIPTURE needs to be taught or needs someone else to interpret, but that prophecy needed, in this case, to be understood and Philip HELPED with that and the Eunuch believed because of Philp AND the HS.

• dieselman
    dieselman

Titus, clearly you havnt made up your mind that you are Jehovah's Witness. If you don't agree with the WTS then why are you wasting your time, go find the truth according to your view. If however you do recognize the truth then make your mind over and be Jehovah's Witness. You yourself know that God see's all, and that includes your heart and mind. If you fear the GB then your faith is misplaced, it's God you should fear. So in your final analysis are you staying there to please God or the GB. If you have truly made a deep study of the bible then you should be able to solve the mystery yourself. Remember its God's Holy Spirit which makes it possible for us to understand the bible fully. That is another reason why I state that sola scriptura is used by the WT, because it is in fact then using God's Holy Spirit. The bible stands due to God's Holy Spirit.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Debator or Bane trying out a new costume.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

deiselman

That is another reason why I state that sola scriptura is used by the WT,

I think you better go back and see what the reformers meant when they coined the term. You seem to think you can pirate the term, making it mean something other than what was intended.

• dieselman
    dieselman

PSacramento, your comment confirms that Philip "Helped" to understand the prophesy. Teaching is an assisting process where you assist a student in understanding a subject. To assist is to help. Thank you for confirming that Philip explained the scripture to the Ethiopian.

Teel, read my comment more carefully. I never made any suggestion that the GB is better than Ethiopian, but I do suggest that if a person thinks that if they can do better than the Ethiopian and instruct themselves without the assistance of anyone or anything, then they should go ahead. And who said that anyone said that the holy spirit is the exclusive domain of the GB, only those who wish to discredit them. Everyone qualifies to receive the power of God's holy spirit.

• Titus
    Titus

Dieselman, I hope you will not just disappear from this forum when everybody defeats you.

• dieselman
    dieselman

DD, I think you had better go back to the context of the discussion, it was based on the definition by yknot. I know full well what sola scriptura is and have made no attempt to pirate it. I am merely making application in the context.

• dieselman
    dieselman

Titus, how can anyone defeat me, I express my opinion, others express theirs. That does not constitute a defeat. Why do you not want me to run away?

• Perry
    Perry
    Everyone qualifies to receive the power of God's holy spirit.

dieselman,

This is NOT according to scripture:

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God

Since Jehovah's Witnesses do not receive Jesus as thier Mediator, how can they receive the power of the Holy Spirit and become sons of God?

The February 15, 1991 issue of the
    Watchtower, pgs. 15-20 paragraph 11; makes this
    announcement:

11 Nevertheless, in a preliminary way, the great
    crowd have already “washed their robes and made
    them white in the blood of the Lamb.” (Revelation
    7:14) Christ does not act as Mediator of the new
    covenant toward them

Article

Share this

Google+
Pinterest