Sola Scriptura

by dieselman 106 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dieselman
    dieselman

In response to Yknot *** Please note the WTS doesn't believe in sola scriptura (bible understood alone by individuals), if you are 'lurker' and want to refute this fact, please start a new thread or feel free to PM me …… (reproof will be accepted if you can show me my error of understanding on the matter)

In the words of the Ethiopian " How can I," he said, "unless someone explains it to me?" So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. Acts 8:31(NIV)

• Titus
    Titus

That's what I also think. I don't know...

Do we really believe in sola scriptura philosophy? I am active Jehovah's Witness, Ministerial Servant, but I really don't know the answer on that question.

I think that the GB doesn't teach that we must understand the Bible sola scriptura.

COMRADE TITO

• Titus
    Titus

And, BTW, sola scriptura doesn't mean "bible understood alone by individuals" but "scripture interprets the scripture".

• wobble
    wobble

The WT believes that only the G.B and writing guys can explain scripture, an individual JW they say, cannot come to a "correct" understanding on his or her own, so Bible Study in the real sense is forbidden.

They don't use only the Bible to interpret the Bible, as a method, see their latest generation doctrine, for example.

Sola Scriptura holds that all that is necessary to know for salvation and to live a Christian life is found in the Bible, but it does allow for exegesis.

The WT claim that their ever changing doctrines are "Bible based" is really stretching credulity.

• dieselman
    dieselman

Correction, the WTS provides a wide range of bible based information to assist persons in making a deep study of the bible. The person has to draw his own conclusion of the facts based on all information at his disposal. Every single person on this planet derives external input from sources other than their own bible by way of interchange of ideas such as on this forum. If a person does not like what the GB suggests is a useful explanation of scripture, they are welcome to exercise their God given free will of choice and reject it. And in the real sense, the WTS does subscribe to sola scriptura which can be clearly seen by their understandings of certain prophesies where scripture does explain scripture, but as shown earlier, also subscribes to the same policy as the Ethiopian.

• Titus
    Titus

Are you sure, Die sel man?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

dieselman

I agree with your statement "...the WTS doesn't believe in sola scriptura". It needs to be understood in context of the reformation and the other four Solas.

The WT places itself above scriptural authority.

• dieselman
    dieselman

am I sure about what, Titus?

• dieselman
    dieselman

DD, my opening statement is quoting yknot. I am stating that they do subscribe to sola scriptura in the correct definition, but they do not subscribe to the definition according to yknot. In other words, the WTS believes what God's word says, that someone needs to help another person to understand his word. The Ethiopian in point. However, the WTS also believes that scripture explains scripture, and that m.o. is used repeatedly in their explanations of scripture.

• Titus
    Titus
    If a person does not like what the GB suggests is a useful explanation of scripture, they are welcome to exercise their God given free will of choice and reject it.

Are you sure that we are welcome to do that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit