Late breaking and local - San Antonio, TX - older man fondles pre-teen at Kingdom Hall on meeting night

by Jim_TX 44 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

This is posted on the local TV news web site, I hope the link works...

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/Police-say-SA-man-molested-girl-at-south-side-church.html

Police say S.A. man molested girl at south-side church

by Marvin Hurst / KENS 5

kens5.com

Posted on July 14, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Updated today at 8:44 AM

Ramon Sanchez has asked God to forgive him following an admission he made to San Antonio police, according to the arrest warrant .

Police said the 73-year-old man confessed to molesting a 12-year-old girl at church and lured her with money.

The arrest document explains the alleged incident happened on Jan. 10. The victim alleges Sanchez started giving her money at Kingdom Hall in the 300 block of Price to befriend her. Police said the elderly suspect told the girl she could get money from him when he went to the restroom during church services.

According to the warrant, the young girl followed his instructions that day. Investigators said Sanchez hugged her, kissed her, touched the girl inappropriately and gave her $20 in the restroom area, then returned to church service.

Police said after the crime was reported, Sanchez confessed his actions. He reportedly said it was a moment of weakness. According to the arrest warrant, he claimed he usually prayed to God to help keep thoughts of young girls from reaching his heart. However, this time he did not have time to pray.

He was arrested Tuesday on a charge of indecency with a child-contact. His bond is set at $75,000.

I never went to this hall - and am not familiar with its' location.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Man-accused-of-molesting-12-year-old-inside-church/ALwU6d2dpUWqQnCD7NNMFw.cspx

Another link to the story, on another local TV news station.

Here is the text from that report...

Man accused of molesting 12-year-old inside church

SAN ANTONIO -- A San Antonio man police say molested a 12-year-old inside a church he attends is now behind bars.

Investigators say 73-year-old Ramon Sanchez recently lured the girl to a restroom at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses Church in the 300 block of Price Street. Sanchez reportedly admitted to fondling the girl and then giving her $20.00.

Sanchez's bond is set at $75,000.
  • babygirl30
    babygirl30

he claimed he usually prayed to God to help keep thoughts of young girls from reaching his heart. However, this time he did not have time to pray.
    That is sickening...really sick! But I'm sorry, that last line is freakin funny to me! This pervert didn't have TIME to pray??????

• snowbird
  • Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I apologize - I started a duplicate thread on this - with the local TV station reports on it.

This fella is 73-years old. How many times has he done this before - and gotten away with it?

Also, why did it take from January - till now - July - for this to be reported to the authorities? I smell a lot of 'back room' conferences going on, and trying to convince the parents to not report this incident.

I also think that folks need to create accounts locally (on the local media websites), and comment on this issue. I did, on the KENS site.

Regards,

Jim TX

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Also, why did it take from January - till now - July - for this to be reported to the authorities? I smell a lot of 'back room' conferences going on, and trying to convince the parents to not report this incident.

Hear, hear!

Syl

• tec
    tec

There is also a person who has commented on both links to the story that some of the blame should go to the parents for not keeping a better eye on this vulnerable little child.

The girl is twelve. Twelve-year olds go to the bathroom by themselves. They go to the store. They babysit. The blame belongs exactly where it is. On the man who did this. But since it also takes away the apparent 'safety' of a kingdom hall, perhaps this person is trying to make sure the blame and focus is undeniably put on the parents.

Could have nothing to do with any of that - but who blames parents for letting a twelve year old be alone for a few minutes?

Sorry. But that's how I feel.

Tammy

• undercover
    undercover

That's my knee-jerk reaction as well. I wonder who actually reported it?

But the WTS has changed their way of acting on this in recent years. Elders are expected to report to local authorities, if required by state law (though they're expected to contact WT legal first). What is the law in TX? If it's not required in TX, then they contact WT legal and get advice (which means to handle it in-house and keep it under wraps if possible).

They're not supposed to dissuade parents from contacting authorities anymore either, but I have a feeling that isn't what actually happens.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sickening ...I hope they throw the book at him..

NB . It is worth noting that the press call him an "elderly man", not an 'older man' in WTS speak.....not that it makes it much better ..

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

but who blames parents for letting a twelve year old be alone for a few minutes?

Someone who doesn't have a 12 year old daughter (or any children at all and if they do I feel sorry for their kids) and is looking to shift blame onto the victim by way of the parents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit