Has anyone heard of the elders being called independent agents. Spoke to a brother in the Legal department and he called them that.

by life is to short 58 Replies latest jw friends

• life is to short
    life is to short

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of elders being referred to as independent agents before. I called the legal department and spoke to an older brother about the child molesters in my hall about a month ago. He did not want to speak to me because I am just a stupid sister but he did finally agree and that was one point he made. I then called the service department and the brother I spoke to there (I never can speak to the same person and of course they never give you their name wonder why) I told him what the old brother in legal had said. I said the only reason I can see for an elder to be an independent agent would be protect Bethel from being sued especially with all the child molesters running around the halls. He said that was one way of looking at it but they do not see it that way at Bethel. So why are they referred to as independent agents then I asked and he did not give me an answer but to say the elder have the flock book to go by. They just talk in circles it is like trying to nail jellow to a wall talking to any of them.

Just wondering if anyone here has heard of that. Being an independent agents puts the wife's and children of the elders in danger because if an elder does not agree with the body and just goes along to keep the peace like they are told to do and if as in the case of child molesters in the hall if a child is raped the elders will get sued not Bethel. The elder that went against his better judgment will be sued and could loose his home and everything. That is how is seems to me. Any other ideas why they are called that.

LITS

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

That's exactly why they are called that. The society uses it to cover their ass legally. An elder told me that he was instructed to never go beyond the instructions given to them by the society, if they do and a legal case is made, their on their own. Nice huh?

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Independent agents?!?! WTF? What are they, like, selling insurance....

Independent or not, they are "selling" the franchisor's merchandise (in true recovery spirit - proudly made in the USA )

-Yan

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

We should call the service desk and legal dept and ask them this question, get enough people to call and there will be a QFR published on it.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

They started that when the molestation cases started going to court. They wanted to shift the blame onto the elders for following the WTS' instructions.

Even if the elders do follow their instructions they are still on the hook because the printed elders manual is different than the notes they are supposed to write in the margins and the letters to the elders which I am surprised don't have a message at the bottom that says "Burn after reading"

• wasblind
    wasblind

The Real Question is, if you go out on a limb for Bethel, will they go out on a limb for you?

If you get bit by a dog while in FS, what will bethel do for you?

If your husband (elder) get sued, what will bethel do for you?

i admit, there are times when brothers come to each others aid.

but it wasn't from Bethel.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I know one PO (COBOE) who is in his 80s, has a little money set aside.... needs to keep it protected...

He once told me he has a million dollar umbrella liability policy. He had it when he was a car salesman. I think he kept it after that.

Wonder if it would cover a lawsuit for his JW elder activities?

Snakes (Rich )

• wasblind
    wasblind

Any aid given out by bethel, are only done in major catastrophies

where they can have braggin' rights and tell the congregations

" see how we do!!! '

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$ is Mother..

Until your Neck is in the Noose..

Then they don`t know you..

http://www.chronicleoftheoldwest.com/pics/gallows_tombstone.jpg

............................ ...OUTLAW

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Any aid given out by bethel, are only done in major catastrophies

where they can have braggin' rights and tell the congregations

" see how we do!!! '

Some reports have said that when a JW gets his insurance money he must sign it over to the WTS who helped him out with free labor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit