Peevish Stuff

by snowbird 130 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

I enjoyed that, Burn!

Especially this:

One cannot change this all in a moment, but one can at least change one's own habits, and from time to time one can even, if one jeers loudly enough, send some worn-out and useless phrase -- some jackboot, Achilles' heel, hotbed, melting pot, acid test, veritable inferno, or other lump of verbal refuse -- into the dustbin, where it belongs.

Tee hee hee.

Syl

• megs
    megs

"Cut the mustard" drives me crazy... It's MUSTER PEOPLE, CUT THE MUSTER!

*rant over*

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes, Megs!

Think soldiers, not sandwiches!

Syl

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Let me tell you something, I went through a series of black women as English teachers growing up. For some reason, whenever I visualize Syl on a thread, it's often my 7th grade English teacher leaning over my desk with a scowl and forcing me to memorize grammar, which I never did. And they were all mean! I got a "D" that year. For some reason all my English teachers were mean.

BTS

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Sorry Sylvia,

I know that I often times find myself grammaticlly challenged

working on it.

• TD
    TD

Amen Sylvia

How about "walla" instead of "voila"

• snowbird
    snowbird

(((((((Burn)))))))

We had to cut the muster in school, you hear?

No mollycoddling or rationalizing!

You had to toe the line and deliver!

I would rein in any rebellious thoughts and reign like a princess in English, Grammar, and Composition.

Syl

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Tee hee hee.

I really like this part. It has made me consciously try to use anglo-saxon words instead of latin/greek ones when possible:

Bad writers, and especially scientific, political, and sociological writers, are nearly always haunted by the notion that Latin or Greek words are grander than Saxon ones, and unnecessary words like expedite, ameliorate, predict, extraneous, deracinated, clandestine, subaqueous, and hundreds of others constantly gain ground from their Anglo-Saxon numbers.*

It makes for easier reading, I think.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

Nancy, you do good!

I know it should be well, but what the heck!

Syl

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

mollycoddling!

Good one!

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit