Peevish Stuff

by snowbird 130 Replies latest jw friends

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I will say though that I have personal peeves with Their, They're, There. As well as any other lack of use of the apostrophe or other punctuation. Sometimes you can get away with it, but if you're trying to come across seriously, use proper spelling, grammer and punctuation!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Amen, Soldier!

When in doubt, leave/check it out!

Syl

• Titus
    Titus

I don't like to say something like: "Nobody knows!"

Because in my language we usually use double negation.

We would say: "Nobody doesn't know".

I know, it sounds stupid in English, but that's usual in my language.

Or another example:

ENGLISH: Nothing can separate us from God’s love unless we separate ourselves from God.

MY LANGUAGE: Nothing cannot separate us from God’s love unless we don't separate ourselves from God.

What a stupid language!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    What a stupid language!

Ours or yours?

Syl

• Titus
    Titus

MY!

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL.

Thanks!

Syl

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Burn, you're a hot mess!

The English language itself gives me the vapors. I always have a difficult time pronouncing uncommon multisyllabic English words of latinate origin, especially where it comes to scientific and technical terms. Usually these are words you don't hear spoken very often. But since I've read them, I know them. I just don't know how to pronounce them automatically, so I put the stress on the wrong vowels. It makes me feel like an idjit. I suspect the problem is that I grew up speaking a truly latin language, and so my brain doesn't automatically recognize how to pronounce these words in English. Go figure.

I always get a mental picture of someone dragging a heavy line.

Then you'll probably enjoy this opinionated essay by a master of prose, where he addresses the term directly.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Greek names twist me into pretzels. I mean, just how do you pronounce Thermopylae in English if you haven't heard someone say it? It's unambiguous in Spanish: Termópilas....there is a mark on the "o." My given name, too, has the mark on the second vowel. In Spanish you are never in doubt, the accent mark is there to guide you. And then, how do you handle that "y?" It looks like it should sound like "pile," but it is pronounced like "pill." And that "ae?" I hate it.

BTS

• Titus
    Titus

I don't know to write "ttommorroww" correctly.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I may not get it right half the time, but what counts is that

i get my point across

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit