JW Home study

by wiser 44 Replies latest jw friends

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

I can't remember whats in that book that you're studying but I recall from the previous indoctrination book, the knowledge book that the final chapters really raise the baptism, meeting attendance things.

When you get to that chapter ask what would happen if you joined and then decided to leave? I'm with the previous poster on asking about disfellowshipping.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Wiser, WELCOME.

Why are you studying?

• blondie
    blondie

Page 169 in the Bible Teach book? Just before the chapter on Baptism.........

*** bh chap. 18 p. 175 par. 2 Baptism and Your Relationship With God ***If you have carefully studiedthe earlier chapters of this book with one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, you may feel ready to ask, ‘What prevents me from getting baptized?’ By now you have learned about the Bible’s promise of everlasting life in Paradise. (Luke 23:43; Revelation 21:3, 4) You have also learned about the true condition of the dead and the resurrection hope. (Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 5:28, 29) You have probably been associating with Jehovah’s Witnesses at their congregation meetings and have seen for yourself how they practice the true religion. (John 13:35)

*** bh chap. 18 p. 175 par. 3 Baptism and Your Relationship With God ***How can you show that you want to serve God? Jesus told his followers: “Go . . . and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them.”

*** bh chap. 18 p. 177 pars. 9-10 Baptism and Your Relationship With God ***In time, you will want to share in the organized preaching work of Jehovah’s Witnesses. At that point, feel free to talk things over with the Witness who is teaching you the Bible. If it appears that you qualify for the public ministry, arrangements will be made for you and your teacher to meet with two of the congregation elders,,, This will enable you to get better acquainted with some Christian elders, who shepherd the flock of God.

----------------------------------------------

What they probably won't tell you is that if you are not a baptized jw, you will be destroyed at Armageddon and any minor children you might have.

*** km 10/87 p. 8 par. 7 Help Others to Dedication and Baptism ***Only those ‘marked’ for salvation will survive into Jehovah’s new system. (Ezek. 9:2-6) How happy those who submit to this ‘marking’ for survival will be because of their dedicated relationship with Jehovah God, as symbolized by water baptism!

*** w07 7/1 p. 13 Highlights From the Book of Ezekiel—I ***

9:3-6.Acquiring the mark—the evidence that we are dedicated, baptized servants of God and that we have the Christian personality—is essential for surviving the “great tribulation.” (Matthew 24:21) Anointed Christians, represented by the man with the secretary’s inkhorn, are taking the lead in doing the marking work, that is, the Kingdom-preaching and disciple-making work. If we want to retain our mark, we must zealously help them in this work.

*** w96 1/15 p. 17 par. 9 Jehovah’s Sheep Need Tender Care ***As an unbaptized publisher progresses spiritually, he may make a dedication to God in prayer and want to be baptized. (Compare Mark 1:9-11.) He should make his desire for baptism known to the congregation’s presiding overseer, who will arrange for elders to review with the publisher the questions on pages 175 to 218 of OrganizedtoAccomplishOurMinistry. The four parts into which the questions are divided may be covered in three sessions by three different elders if possible. If they agree that the unbaptized publisher has a reasonable understanding of Bible teachings and qualifies in other ways, they will tell him that he may be baptized.

*** w88 9/15 p. 14 par. 18 Listen—Jehovah’s Watchman Speaks! ***The antitypical ‘man in linen’ is the class of anointed Christians. They go from house to house to put a symbolic mark on those who become part of the “great crowd” of Christ’s “other sheep.” The “mark” is the evidence that such sheep are dedicated, baptized individuals with a Christlike personality. They ‘sigh and groan over detestable things’ done in Christendom, and they have come out of Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion. (Revelation 18:4, 5) Their “mark” will make it plain to God’s executional forces that they should be spared during the “great tribulation.” They can retain that “mark” by sharing with the anointed ones in marking yet others. So, if you have been ‘marked,’ share zealously in the ‘marking’ work.—Ezekiel 9:8-11.

*** w82 2/15 p. 30 par. 13 “What Prevents Me from Getting Baptized?” ***And finally, you may feel that you are yet too young to make a dedication with understanding. For many, this may be true, since there are thousands of young children associated with Jehovah’s Witnesses—which to us is a cause for joy. (Matthew 19:13-15) While growing to be sufficiently mature, mentally and physically, to take upon themselves the full responsibility of dedication and baptism, we can have confidence that God ‘marks’ such children as “holy,” as long as they are responsive and obedient to believing parents. (1 Corinthians 7:14)

*** w62 8/15 pp. 494-495 par. 26 Children, Do You Obey Jehovah? ***We are living in a momentous time in human history, not from the standpoint of the remarkable inventions man has produced, but from the standpoint of Jehovah’s purposes. It is the long-foretold time of the end for the present wicked world. Shortly Jehovah will terminate its existence in the battle of Armageddon and usher in a new world of righteousness. It is a serious time for children as well as adults, because children that do not obey Jehovah will not be among the survivors of that battle. God will not preserve them into his new world merely because they are children. This is evident from the fact that he did not preserve the young children through the flood of Noah’s day just because they were children. It is also shown in the book of Ezekiel that just because you are young is no reason for God’s keeping you alive. Ezekiel wrote: “Slay utterly the old man, the young man and the virgin, and little children and women; but come not near any man upon whom is the mark.” (Ezek. 9:6, AS) Your being children who worship and serve Jehovah as he has commanded and who have the mark of protection—ah yes, that will mean preservation and life for you.

*** w60 1/15 p. 55 This Is a Time of Judgment ***Parents who reject the good news of the Kingdom and who ignore the good principles and wonderful purposes of Jehovah God cannot expect their minor children to survive the execution of divine judgment. Until a child reaches the age where it can be held responsible for its actions, it is under family responsibility. Divine punishment or blessing that comes to its parents automatically falls upon it. This principle is seen at Ezekiel 9:6, where God’s command was to “slay utterly the old man, the young man and the virgin, and little children and women; but come not near any man upon whom is the mark.”—

AS.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Welcome Wiser, The Home study will go on for as long as you allow it, of course IF you start to display doubts, things might change. IF you join, then you will be expected to study for all the meetings; haven't they encouraged you to the Kingdom hall yet?

They have just given up on me after 57 years! My wife is IN 'the truth' and they have always hoped I would eventually succumb to the bait!

Blondie has given you ALL the relevant information above.

• luna2
    luna2

They will study with you as long as they can. Those kind of long-term bible studies are hard to come by and they won't want to give you up easily. If you don't believe it, don't want to join, and are fed up, end it.

• chickpea
    chickpea

run, forrest! RUN!!!!!!

• tec
    tec

I studied for two years. Never went to the Kingdom Hall (except once, to watch the Lord's Supper). I had even agreed to join - until two weeks later, I asked to stop studying. I said I needed to do a personal study, and reflection, and I couldn't think clearly (on my own) with a weekly study. Since I had formed a close relationship with my teacher/study, it was hard for both of us.

But she knew that I was sincere, and she did as I asked. I still hear from her on occasion, though she moved to another province. Last time we e-mailed, she said she didn't care what religion I was now. I know she sees me as more of a daughter/child than a friend - someone she feels responsible for teaching - but I also know that she is a sincere person in what she believes.

But to answer your question - you have to tell them that you no longer wish to study. Be firm in your reasons.

Tammy

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Studying with you is "easy hours". Far easier than door to door. I know various examples of studies that have lasted for over a decade. The only one who can call it quits is you.

But perhaps you should do a study which focusses on the history of their organization. Use the book "Captives of a Concept" to guide you through. Discuss topics like 607 versus 587 with them and see how long it will then last...

• debator
    debator

The study is there to separate the interested from the not interested in God's kingdom message.

If you now walk away uninterested that is your right and they have done their assigned task. You cannot say you are ignorant of our Bible drawn beliefs from Jehovah and haven't had enough information to decide on.

Despite what some have said on here we as witnesses do the preaching work assigned us whether someone is interested or not. So we have done our job simply by offering them the message. Jehovah asks no more of us than that.

There comes a point in all studies where the person indicates his interest or lack of it. It looks like you have got to that point.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I think it was during the 1968-1975 period when the WT started pushing the six-month guideline. They wanted to push all the newbies into making a commitment quickly. I remember that they had some rather unique approaches to getting those commitments, but the strongest was, "I don't know how long I can continue to study with you. The time is so short before Armageddon and I have to focus on those who really want to survive and be a part of Jehovah's New World organization."

I think this dropped off a bit after the early 1980s, but it was made clear that anyone who seemed to have "apostate" leanings - or asked too many questions - should be dropped rather quickly. Maybe it was also because the Governing Body did not want the R&F to get involved in too many "real" Bible studies where probing questions might come up, especially any that had to do with the failure of 1975. They had been through that during the 1979-1982 period with disastrous results.

Bible studies have always been important for "special pioneers" and brothers hoping to achieve elder and MS status within a congregation. It always looked good to have more than the minimum hours, plenty of literature placements, and at least one Bible study to report each month. That was supposed to show the KH leadership that a brother had commitment and teaching skills - and was an "effective publisher."

I'm not sure what the story is now - but my guess is that policies for length of Bible studies will be in constant flux over the next few years. There will be pressure to report plenty of new potential converts, but at the same time that will be balanced by a desire to have new ones "s*** or get off the pot," so to speak. I'm also sure that anyone in a longterm Bible study who puts up any challenges or asks any probing questions will be dropped quickly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit