Ladies: Would You Work Overnight?

by snowbird 77 Replies latest social family

• Gregor
    Gregor

Not good for your health. Not worth a few bucks.

• elderelite
    elderelite

all of my favorite ladies work overnight.

wait.... we're not talking about the same thing are we?

• StAnn
    StAnn

Snowbird, I worked nights for YEARS. Now, I haven't worked nights since 2001 and my system is still so messed up that I'm on here, right now, at 12:20 a.m. wide awake. I generally can't fall asleep before 2 a.m., and I get up early with the kids (7 a.m.).

It will mess up your life, trust me. DON'T DO IT! Think. If you were on it now, you'd have to miss the 4th of July fireworks because you'd be at work. You can't go to dinner with your friends because most people want to go out around 7 p.m. Well, you'd have to be at work at 8 p.m. and better not have a margarita on your breath! You can't go to movies with your friends. Most movies start around 7 p.m. and, well, you get my drift.

My husband works nights now and one of the things he has learned is that he has to maintain the same sleep schedule every day, even on days off. Your body can't cope with switching your sleep schedule on and off frequently. He hates third shift and only does it because he is free to go to school during the day. But it's a sacrifice for the whole family.

Third shift is a bitch. Don't do it.

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

Snowbird, I worked nights for YEARS. Now, I haven't worked nights since 2001 and my system is still so messed up that I'm on here, right now, at 12:20 a.m. wide awake. I generally can't fall asleep before 2 a.m., and I get up early with the kids (7 a.m.).

It will mess up your life, trust me. DON'T DO IT! Think. If you were on it now, you'd have to miss the 4th of July fireworks because you'd be at work. You can't go to dinner with your friends because most people want to go out around 7 p.m. Well, you'd have to be at work at 8 p.m. and better not have a margarita on your breath! You can't go to movies with your friends. Most movies start around 7 p.m. and, well, you get my drift.

My husband works nights now and one of the things he has learned is that he has to maintain the same sleep schedule every day, even on days off. Your body can't cope with switching your sleep schedule on and off frequently. He hates third shift and only does it because he is free to go to school during the day. But it's a sacrifice for the whole family.

Third shift is a bitch. Don't do it.

StAnn

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

When I was 21 I worked midnight to 8 am at a luxury hotel switchboard. I was allowed to put my head on the desk and snooze, but it still was awful. It was 2 night per week (I was pioneering!) and even being young and healthy it was an unhealthy schedule.

The only way I could see it working would be if you lived alone and didn't have any other pressing responsibilities. People will not understand or respect your need to sleep during the day.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, all.

Syl

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Hi Snowbird, yes I have done it. I was younger early 20's and I found it really difficult. You are still kind of messed up on your day off. I have a friend that does it now and she is a zombie half of the time. Especially for older women, I don't think it is a good idea, there are many studies on nurses that show an increase of breast cancer and other illness for those that work nights. Although my experience has been 11p-730a, getting home at 430a or so would make sleeping a little easier. I still offer to work nights once in a while as favor, once in a while is fun, but not as a regular schedule. NMKA

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi and thanks, NMKA.

Syl

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

I worked 12 hours shifts 6p to 6a. I for the most part of my life worked nights.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

Stann, I'm like this too.

Edited to add: Except, when I fall asleep at about 3 or 4 am, I don't get up to easy. My daughter is an RN and works nights. When her son is in school, he spends the night with us. Gawd, it's hard for me to get going at 7am because it's my sleep time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit