Why has God allowed this to go on for so long

by watersprout 65 Replies latest jw friends

• watersprout
    watersprout

Why has God allowed this system to go on for soo long? He's God he doesn't need to prove anything to anyone! Why have the billions that have lived on this earth had to suffer for what two people did in Eden?

Why has God allowed this suffering to continue?

• steve2
    steve2

There are so many different beliefs on this question among those who believe in a God /Creator.Take your pick. Or you could consider nonreligious,evolutionary and/or athiestic accounts.This is a maddeningly well discussed question. Don't expect one "true" answer.

• sspo
    sspo

Could it be that God does not exist and there is no devil and the bible is just another "holy book"

among many?

• debator
    debator

2 peter 3:9 NWT

9 Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Hi WS,

I ask that every day when watching the news or learning of ones I know passing away. It used to bug me when I was in the borg and I would ask that question only to be told "you are lacking faith brother...."

But I suppose when you ask that question WS it means you care ;-)

Cheers, Mattieu

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Maybe he does not even know about it... or care.

maybe he is 3000000000000 gazillion light years away building model cars or inventing a time machine... or making another batch of solar systems.

Honestly! Go and look at the known universe and its imensity, and instead of using it to 'prove god', see how it can also prove how insignificant this little planet is.

Just because some old dude in a goat skin and blankets SAID god cares, does not make it so.

Of course, if that is distateful to you, there is always the flip side...

That God is a force that created life in order to destroy it at whim... So says the records in the 'old testament'

A god of love could NOT sit by and 'allow' suffering any more than you could!

Something to consider ...

oz

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Watersprout...

this question is as old as mans existance, along with 'what is the meaning of life'.

There are not really any answers as an ultimate truth. Here you will get as many opinions as there are planets!

the challenge is to digest all the concepts and posibilities to help you come to the conclusion that helps you get out of bed in the mornings.

oz

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

God hasn't allowed suffering. Man was the one that started it all - they need to find a solution to it. This is not Gods' problem, it's yours and mine.

• ambersun
    ambersun
    A god of love could NOT sit by and 'allow' suffering any more than you could!

This has always bugged me, how a loving God could sit back and watch people living miserable, painful existences and being murdered in unspeakably horrific manners generation after generation after generation without stepping in and saying "enough!"

If we knew any of our children were doing unspeakable things to other children we would step in and do something about it immediately.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

2 peter 3:9 NWT - Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.

This scripture is a fail on many levels. Here are the two biggies to me:

One, God is omnipotent and omniscient. If he REALLY "desires all to attain to repentance" he CAN make it happen ANYTIME and STOP suffering. He hasn't done so. Why? Either he can't or he won't. Neither possibility is all that endearing.

Two, even if the logic of the verse made sense and somehow there was some reason why God could still be "God" and yet can't or won't help people, waiting doesn't SAVE MORE people in comparison to the VAST NUMBERS of people being born every day whom God WILL KILL at Armageddon because JWs haven't found them and given them a Watchtower or Bible Teach book.

And a side note related to the original post's question is that the premise that the entire world is a horrible hateful mess is a false one. People are mostly good and there is a lot more good going on than the WT and the news media let on. You might not see it on TV but if you go out and get involved in helping people, you'll find that you're surrounded by others doing the very same thing. There is love in this world. There is good in this world.

Nope. This world is not Satan's. It isn't God's. It is OURS and it is about time we STOP DEFERRING our responsibility for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit