Would love to read opinions on this.

by dgp 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Of course he can't lie ... he also can't walk, can't talk and can't use an iPhone.

No non-existant mythical being can do any of these things.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

can't use an iPhone

There's an app for that.

• tec
    tec

OTWO - NAC beat me to it :)

• dgp
    dgp

No, I'm not just talking semantics. I read an article about Baruch Spinoza, and the author of the article claims Spinoza was the first guy to claim God couldn't be all powerful, on the grounds that he can't lie.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Or anything he says takes place, so a so called lie would become truth, hence not a lie?

Another way of phrasing, anything he says, HAPPENS. If he says something will happen, but he says something to change it, then was still not a lie, because it WAS going to happen, but the new utterance is the truth because he said it.

• tec
    tec

Good point, EOM.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Hey Darth...could you elaborate a bit on Genesis 3?...I thought Satan lied there?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    OTWO-Where does the Bible say that it is God's Word?

That's what the Christians keep saying. I guess I just assumed that from what Paul wrote (and found in the Bible) at 2 Timothy 3: 15-17 about all scriptures being "God-breathed" or "inspired of God."
    It supposedly originated f rom the time of the exodus out of Egypt, God told Israel that he was going to communicate with them through prophets. People who would speak for God and represent Him to the people. This was in response to the request from Israel who was afraid when God spoke to them directly from Mt. Sinai, the people pleaded for Moses to speak for God to them rather then God speak to them direct so they don’t die. God was pleased with their request. (Exodus 20:18-21)

Fine, the Bible doesn't claim itself to be God's Word. Then no big deal if I don't either.

• not a captive
    not a captive

OTWO--

I love the place where --it's in Jeremiah--(if this is true, either) that God didn't want any sacrifices--that all that was the people's idea--God just wanted them to LISTEN to him.

There must be a sense in which scripture is beneficial--but it seems no one could help providing "morals" to every action. Sometimes I think of God having to accept the small impulses toward understanding that came his way and just take the blame--Like when you ask your dog to roll over and all he seems to understand is "sit". Or he only chases the cat but he doesn't kill it.

P.S.I've had Christians doubt that I'm a Christian. So it's no big deal for me either, I guess.

• not a captive
    not a captive

Remember, dgp, if you discount the Bible as reliable, you can't call it as a credible witness.

Jesus was called the Logos--not the same as the "scriptures"--Two different "words".

Then he sent the Holy Spirit to help us poor folks who don't go to college--and some who can't read!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit