Would love to read opinions on this.

by dgp 42 Replies latest jw friends

• dgp
    dgp

Not a captive, I understand that. I can't call the book useless and then say it's the Word of God. For the sake of clarity, I don't think the Bible is reliable or the word of God. An important book it is, as our civilization rests (or unrests) on it.

However, I didn't follow the circular reasoning you point out. Neither did Spinoza (or so I think). He found a statement in the Bible and analyzed its logical consequences. As in, "if I say there's no food in the fridge, then there can't be carrots in it". If the article I read is all right, Spinoza found that such statement leads to conclusions that, in his humble opinion, cannot be supported. I think Spinoza was right and I wanted to hear opinions on the matter.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The Bible says God's creation is perfect. Perfection = Without flaws. Humans are naturely flawed (Just look at God's first people created Adam and Eve). Not to mention his heavenly creations (Satan for instance). So is his creation flawed or isn't it? That means that Hebrews is wrong. Therefore the Bible is rendered false.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Hey Darth...could you elaborate a bit on Genesis 3?...I thought Satan lied there?

In gen 3 we see satan challeging a statement god made but later not only does god not kill the 2 that should have positively died in that day he validate the original claim that satan or the serpent made.

Not one of my post but you will get the gist.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/35970/1/Satan-didnt-lie

• tec
    tec

In gen 3 we see satan challeging a statement god made but later not only does god not kill the 2 that should have positively died in that day he validate the original claim that satan or the serpent made.

Only if you believe that God was speaking of physical death rather than spiritual death. Since Jesus came speaking about spiritual life/death, and He is the reflection of God, then why think that God didn't mean Adam and Eve's spiritual death?

Tammy

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

It is impossible for my cat to ride a bicycle.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I appreciate your response tammy but it still does not account for the fact that the devil or serpent was not telling a lie.

Physical or spiritual death aside GOD HIMSELF admitted that 'the man has become like him knowing good and bad.'

• tec
    tec

Didn't the devil say that you will NOT surely die?

That was the lie.

Tammy

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Tammy, once you open the Bible to interpretation (this is literal, this is spiritual, this is symbolic, etc.) you have to be COMPLETELY open to personal interpretations in ALL aspects. The only way to avoid that is with faulty reasoning techniques like appeal to authority, tradition, or revelation. So which is it? Is the Bible supposed to be completely open to interpretation or does it mean what it says it means? You can't have it both ways.

• tec
    tec

I don't understand? Who says I do have it both ways? Some of the bible is literal. Some of the bible is symbolic/spiritual/parables - and those, by nature, are open to interpretation. Some of Jesus words were misunderstood because they were taken literally and not spiritually - such as my flesh is real food/my blood is real drink.

Whenever I speak on something, I am speaking from my personal thoughts and beliefs. I can't say that these are right or wrong. I can only say what I think is right or wrong - although I do try to find a harmony throughout the bible to gain an understanding of what is literal or symbolic. Its up to everyone to think and decide that for themselves.

Tammy

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Once again god gives the answer. After he says that man has become just like him he makes the statement 'not lest he eats from the tree of life and lives fore Ever' than god banished him from the garden and access to the tree of life.

Like sweeney said it depends on what way YOU wish to interprete it. I take the bible at face value because thats the way its written. When one finds fault it seems most believers than pull some other card or rule out. But you have to admit from gods on lips (as it were) the words the serpent spoke were the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit