Where were you when you first came here?

by Xena 36 Replies latest jw friends

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

I lurked for about 9 months before ever posting here. I found this site by searching for info on xjw's on a search engine. Finding this site has made such a difference to me. Just to have someone who understands and has been there is so wonderful. I have also learned about many unscriptural teachings on this board and now feel that I have a strong footing on the truth about the troof. thanks to Simon and all of you, like I said you really do make a difference in peoples lives. You have saved me perhaps thousands in therapy bills and it's been so much fun. If this site is ever gone I know that I will cry more tears than I have ever shed leaving the org. I feel that you are my friends through thick and thin the good the bad and the ugly

• Princess
    Princess

I had been out for four years. My mom kept sending me links to interesting topics and I started lurking. After awhile I stopped lurking and started posting.

Princess

"Dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening and live every day as if it were your last." -Irish Proverb

• Carmel
    Carmel

44 years ago I walked out of house and home because of my desire to know the "real truth" and have never looked back. i still post occasionally as "mntzion" over at H20, but like most left there well over a year ago when I fell in love with RedhorseWoman and Waiting. Now that should tell you something about my age!

The old coot

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I was at work, like I am now...

Actually, I had done my spell as a newbie ("What do you mean it's a cult?") at Tishie's place from about '96 or '97, so came here as a battle hardened xJW, without major issues, who simply likes hanging round and chewing the fat with people who I have something in common with, and maybe helping others like I was helped by others.

I'm English, but I live in Holland, and my Dutch is poor, so to an extent the board is a social surrogate too.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• Trixie
    Trixie

My sister and I found this site when we were looking for information on the JWs being a cult. I think they are. My family had been out of the JWs for awhile, but I feel that looking at sites like this on the internet helped push my family towards a formal disassociation letter. I am so happy to be out, I have bad dreams where my family goes back and I'm incredibly angry. Thank the stars above I never will go back!

• cat1759
    cat1759

I was out of work for over a year at the time I came here. I had nothing else to do. I also belong to a couple of online groups for moms with molested children and they suggested this place.

I have been out of the organization for 12yrs and still I am learning new ways to come to terms with their unethical disposition to reality.

cathy

• Sunbeam
    Sunbeam

It all began when I met a gorgeous, long-haired man at a heavy metal nightclub 7 years ago. We hit it off straight away - but then he started to tell me about his religion: no blood, etc.

I was an atheist and thought that the whole idea was ridiculous - and frightening. I started doing some research into JW's on the web, found Randy's site (thanks for all your work, Randy!) and lurked on H20. That was back when Cygnus was radical.

I started to have doubts. The WT arguments were so compelling - what if this was God's organisation on earth? I decided to compare their doctrines and supporting scriptures with those of mainstream Christianity, as objectively as I could. I didn't want to be taken in by either. Christianity won out every time.

Eventually, I read an explanation of the gospel and realised what all that weird dying on a cross business was really about. I prayed the sinner's prayer and now I'm a born again Christian. I know, poor husband. Yes, we've been married for nearly 5 years now and he's well and truly out.

I've been praying for my husband's mother who's been in for over 30 years (and now thinks that I'm an agent of Satan). I lurk here to keep up-to-date on what the borg is telling her, find out about great campaigns like Bill's and love to read the stories of JW's who are escaping the WT. I don't often post, as Christians usually seem to receive a cool response.

Love

Sunbeam
    xxxx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit