Where were you when you first came here?

by Xena 36 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was inactive, due to doubts and feeling that there must be something wrong somewhere, then in November 1999 the Kingdom Ministry published a wonderful insert "Use of the Internet - Be Alert to the Dangers" , telling us that there was a world of Naughty information out there.

That was it ! I learned how to surf the net at the local library, wow ! the K M was right, since discovering Freeminds and this board I have never looked back . It's becoming addictive .

CYGNUS. I do hope that you are joking . Think man think!

• Latte
    Latte

Bluesbrother,

That's so funny, the KM helped you to see the light! LOL

Latte

• ArkansasBetty
    ArkansasBetty

I,too, was "born in the truth". I left about 11 years ago. My dad was and still is an elder. I was never baptised and didn't really think about being a witness very often. Then, a few weeks ago an active JW came to my office ( I work for a medical office) and needed to see the doctor, and I guess while he was filling out paperwork he must have recognized me. I walked up and asked me if I was a JW. I said, "No," and he immediatley turned around and left. I took it very personally and found myself angry at being treated this way. I have been on a search for answers since then. I ran across this site and "lurked" like many others for a while before I got the courage to respond to anything. Still feeling a little "watched".

• Belmont
    Belmont

We had started to pull away as a result of researching the society's literature and the p.o. called to see if "all was well". We reassured him, and he said "That's good - the c.o. said you must have been looking at the internet!" So we did.

• Xena
    Xena

It is great to see so many positive experiences with this board! Thank you all for taking the time to share your experiences.

lol TR when April first send me the link to this site I thought she was nuts..sending me to a JW site! She told me to just come here and look around..didn't take me long to realize this was NO JW Site

Blues I wondered if their "warning" people about the internet would cause some people to become curious...kinda bit themselves in the butt on that one huh?

• chester
    chester

The KM that BluesBrother spoke about was one of the things that really got me to thinking. What is it they don't want us to know?

Then a talk at the DC at the Pontiac Silverdome in the summer of 2000 really made me sit up and take notice.
    The brother who gave the talk said "if you are happy with your life as it is stay away from the internet" (or words to that effect.)

I found out about Raymond Franz's books and I have to say that I am really surprised at what I found.

I never suspected that this was not the "truth" until I got on the internet.

• larc
    larc

My wife and I faded away in the 1960's, before there were many books on the subject, let alone the internet as a ressource. Over the years, I experienced periods of intense interest in JW issues, followed by many years where I gave it little thought. I did not get on the internet until December of 2000, and found this site through JAVA's site.

The first thread I contributed to was, "You might be a JW if" started by Seven. I contributed some of my humor to it and people seemed to enjoy it, so I stuck around, and of course, have contributed some serious stuff since then. My earliest recollection of posters are: Waiting, RedHorseWoman, Frenchy, Logical, Mommy, Prisca, Simon, and some who have since left us.

Why was I interested in being here? One of my main reasons, at the beginning was to learn changes that I had occured with the JWs since my last look at them back in 1996.

• unanswered
    unanswered

i had already been out of the borg for some time when riz told me about this site. i came mostly to find a community of people who understand what it is like to leave the WT.

• STRUGGLE
    STRUGGLE

Like TR I thought this was a JW board. I was unclear about what was going to happen in an elders meeting. Wondering if I should confess or not.This board really helped me. Here I met people who truly understood.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I was on H2O and came here from there. I was already out and had been for about two years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit