Are Men As "Manly" As They Used To Be?

by minimus 115 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

John Doe, that is simply superb!

I mean jealous of Black culture, Minimus.

Syl

• minimus
    minimus

Yeah, you're right. I'm jealous of everything African. I wish I was black. An old WT. stated the success of a black man who ferverntly prayed to God to become white and God answered his prayer! I'm gonna start praying now.....

• snowbird
    snowbird

Now, now. No need for praying. God has enough on His plate.

Just do a reverse Michael Jackson thingy.

Syl

• serenitynow!
  • Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Min

Maybe it's me but I see more males act less "manly".

It's hard to tell today. Because women are acting more manly all the time.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Min - What age are you choosing as a referent on "manliness"

George Washington wore lipstick and other makeup, and a blonde (WELL "ISH") wig. Go even further back and men were dressed in ribbons and frills, covered themselves in lavender and violet perfume as well as heavy makeup.

I think the trend you see is the male response to the "butching up" of the modern female. Most men want some feminine things in their life.

HB

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"Because women are acting more manly all the time."

Deputy dog what do you mean by this?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Minimus and Syl see my new thread so we don't hijack this one.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/195309/1/PUBLIC-SERVICE-ANNOUNCEMENT-CULTURE

I would love to reply on that one, but it won't open, so I'll say this.

You are so on target, Serenity.

Great thread.

Syl

• TD
    TD
    Just do a reverse Michael Jackson thingy

LOL - I'd be much happier with a voice like Dennis Haysbert than this nasally honky voice I was cursed with. --Don't suppose there is a cure for that though

• Twitch
    Twitch
    George Washington wore lipstick and other makeup, and a blonde (WELL "ISH") wig. Go even further back and men were dressed in ribbons and frills, covered themselves in lavender and violet perfume as well as heavy makeup.

I'm no expert but I do know that the reason men (and women) wore heavy makeup was to appear as "white" as possible as a tan indicated someone who spent much time in the sun and in those days it was the sign of a labourer, farmer or generally someone who was poor.

Perfume was used heavily to cover the smell of BO since bathing was regarded as "unhealthy". The Greeks and Romans initiated the bathhouses but knew enough to engineer running water and thereby keep it clean but somehow this was lost in the Dark Ages. People began to get sick from bathing in stagnant water and it was eventually seen as unsafe.

Can say much about wigs, ribbons and frills other than it was likely the fashion of the time and such men were likely wealthy, had status and could afford such things to set them apart from the common man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit