Are Men As "Manly" As They Used To Be?

by minimus 115 Replies latest jw friends

• meangirl
    meangirl

Well tough question, what is "manly?" I hate the John Wayne types and if that is considered manly no thanks. I too like the fact that we can just be individuals in our society today. I hated how the society wanted their men to be "MEN" and their women to be little submissive "women"....the bottom line we are all individuals and I don't get why we have to be put in boxes?

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I think women have to share some of the blame for men not being as 'manly' as they once were.

How many times have women criticised their man for........

not looking like the men in your magazines

not being romantic

not showing his feelings

not understanding her moods

not helping with the house chores

not looking after the kids

not shaving his body hair off

not making her feel special.............

And the trouble is men are finally taking notice of what you women say you want in a man & you suddenly change your minds again!!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I blame the film industry. The days of John Wayne, Charles Bronson, Steve McQueen, even Bruce Willis are over, and it has have given way to...Matthew Mcconaughey...and sparkly emo vampires.

It's cyclical, just like music and fashion trends. Just think of how androgynous flamboyant styles of the '80s were instantly swept aside by flannel and grunge in the '90s. Teeners will bore of the pretty boys and want guys who seem more real and raw.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

probably not...

wife calls me the gayest straight man she knows...

oh well, i'm off to listen to Kyli Minogue ...

oz

• snowbird
    snowbird

Great thread, Minimus.

Maeve, you and I totally "get" each other.

Finally-Free, you rock!

Syl

• rocketman
    rocketman

My Dominatrix says I'm very manly.

• keyser soze
  • miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I blame the film industry. The days of John Wayne, Charles Bronson, Steve McQueen, even Bruce Willis are over, and it has have given way to...Matthew Mcconaughey...and sparkly emo vampires.

I agree with you on the sparkly emo vampires. Dawson's Creek and the WB channel from the late 90's to early 2000 set that nonsense in motion I believe. Matthew Mcconaughey is a manly man. I like that guy. He's one of the few actors I actually like. From his roles, to the way he carries himself off camera. He stays in shape, does what he wants. He's not above smacking a journalist whos out of line. If I remember correctly, he likes to smoke too, and I don't mean cigarettes. I think he got arrested when some cop got a complaint about loud music. They went to his hourse, and he was in there butt naked with some other cat high as kite. They were having a jam session, I thinkin he was playing the bongos, and the other cat had a guitar. To me he's truly one of the fellas. Plus his roles have been manly too. Take Reign of Fire, or Frailty. Or one of my all time favorites, Dazed & Confused.

There's still manly actors out there. Denzel Washington, Christian Bale, even Jack Black. The question to me is, how do you define a "manly" man? Is it the felon who just got out of the bing? Is it the long haired stoner/slacker? Is it the dapper guys in Vodka commercials? What about the 9-5 guy with the wife and kids who's starting to grow a pot belly, and argues with his neighbor about trimming the bush thats growing over his side of the fence? What is a manly man?

• Gregor
    Gregor

When my office was in Portland I was just a couple of blocks from Darcelles club and would see him/her quite often as he walked a lot on errands in the neighborhood. He was sometimes dressed as a man and sometimes like in the poster above. Seemed like a nice fellow just to say hello to.

I think the recent rash of posts by men in their 40's preoccupied with wanking is very... unmanly.

• minimus
    minimus

I'm sick of sensitive "men".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit