"Jesus did not die on the cross" (Gunnar Samuelsson)

by Titus 101 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Titus
    Titus

"Jesus did not die on the cross"

A new doctoral dissertation in theology from Gothenburg university claims that the Bible has been misinterpreted when it comes to how Jesus died. Gunnar Samuelsson who wrote the dissertation has studied the original texts and sees no explicit references to crucifiction. The only reference is that Jesus bore a "staurus" towards Golgata. This is not necessarily a cross according to Samuelsson but can also mean a "pole".

http://www.stockholmnews.com/more.aspx?NID=5450

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Right well back to the Kingdom Hall for me......Pioneering here I come baby!!!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Keep my chair warm Titus, I'll be back next week.

• Titus
    Titus

OK, Black Sheep.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

There goes 10 hours per week of freedom down the tube.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Why does it matter so much to JWs? That's the part I could never figure out about this debate.

• teel
    teel

Separation Keyser. JWs go to extreme lengths to prove they're very different from any other christian denomination. There was a talk? or article? that discussed how JWs are not neo-protestants, which is quite silly, because they are, no matter how they protest against it. It's probably the same symptom as for the emo or goth kids, they want to be nonconformist in every way, so they get noticed.

At least this is my view; because it's true there's no logical reason to fight against the cross - it really doesn't matter what they don't wear in their necks symbolizing Jesus' death.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

All of this, of course, presumes that the gospel accounts are something other than stories and that the guy everyone now knows as Jesus was actually executed by the Romans.

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

This agian? After 15 pages, which this will surely go to, I will still feel the same.

The Borg lied to prop up the 'pole' stake' baloney. It really does not matter how he died. He did, and it was cruel and in keeping with how the Romans killed people at the turn of the century. The Jews did not put him on it, the Romans did.

And the popular choice was a cross. A pole with a removable cross bar that the victim had to carry himself, or a tree that grew in a T shape.

Medical discussions around this concluded, a man that was beaten, whipped, exhausted would not have lasted 3 hours with his hands above his head.

A healthy person cannot do that. Do the research....

AS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

So, in Gunner OPINION, Jesus died HOW and on WHAT?

We KNOW that Romans crucified on cross and impaled in stakes, we have evidence from the Gospels that NAILS were used to NAIL his HANDS and the Epistle of Barabas that it the cross was in the shape of a "T" and we have archelogical evidence that early christians and anti-christians beleived that Jesus died on a cross (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexamenos_graffito).

It still blows me away that this "debate" is still going on, truly it does.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit